What Speakers for ONKYO 906????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, i have just purchased onkyo 906 and i am looking for 5.1 speakers to match. I have heard some sets such as Tannoy Revolutions, B&W 600 series, Focal Dome and Atlantic Technology. Due to differences in setups i am not sure what to get.

I lean towards (but i am unable to decide) B&W 683 front, HTM 61 center, 685 Back and Velodyne cht10 for SUB-would you prefer BW 610 INSTEAD?. Will my onkyo have adequate power to drive this setup (will degrading to 684, and HTM 62 be any better)??

Can someone suggest any other setup. My space is 4 meters to 4,5 meters approximatelly and i will use my setup for bot listening to music and movies

Pls help me. Thanks

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I've got an Onkyo 875 driving a system based around B&W 684s and it drives this easily so a 906 should at 220w per channel drive just about anything.

The 683s with 685 rears should be a hell of a good set up I hope you live in a detatched house!.

If you buy B&W I would stick with there ASW610 sub as it's highly rated unless you could afford the PV1.

You don't say what CD player or other amplifier you have as this may affect your choice of speakers.

I picked my system based on what I thought were the best sounding speakers for music as I'd listened to more music than films before I'd bought. and unless you're a serious movie listener it's not easy to say which surround system sounds the best from 1 or 2 listenings. But it's easy to pick which front speakers you prefer for music.

Just noticed your lounge size and the 683s, 684s and Tannoys may be too big.

I've not seen or heard the other makes.

Hope this is some use.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If you're running a sub, then you don't really need floorstanders even for music as the extra frequency range will be taken care of by the sub. I have always used floorstanders so have got used to them and am currently considering an upgrade but am looking at better bookshelfs (as long as they're kid and dog proof!) on stands this time around but may well stick with floorstanders if they sound right. Demo to be sure.
emotion-1.gif

As to subs, you'll get a better sub from the likes of BK or SVS for less money imho. My mate has a 610 but I haven't heard it yet.

A

Anonymous

I run a 875 with Monitor Audio's RS8 AV package. But with your room being smaller than mine I would have a listen to the RS6 AV's.

Its a very musical system as well, for the price it is hard to beat.

A

Anonymous

I have made an audition to the RS6 speakers but here in Greece i think they have similar prices to 684s which i liked best. Can you pls explain me what do you mean that the B&W would be big for my space? Would this mean that there will be a booming effect and distortion? I heard the tannoy revolution without sub and they were not filling the room as the B&Ws. I really don't know what to do Regards

A

Anonymous

If you can afford them then go for the Tannoy revolutions signatures! Or if music is important try the neat motives.

A

Anonymous

The one important thing here in my mind is the question of integration of all the speaker components, especially with music.

Whilst on first listening it is easy to be impressed with the dynamics of a system, that can sometimes become tiresome when listening to ones favourite pieces of music, when typically the speed and timing of the sub come into play along with the pace / depth of the other speakers.

In the case of buying a complete speaker system I would always stick to the one manufacturer, you will never get the same degree of compatibility by mixing and matching.

Trust your ears and soul, only you can decide what sound you can sit down with, hour after hour, and have to tear yourself away from because it is so late and the wife has gone to bed hours ago!

Now that is good music! Not Hi Fi.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
cdrov:

I have made an audition to the RS6 speakers but here in Greece i think they have similar prices to 684s which i liked best. Can you pls explain me what do you mean that the B&W would be big for my space? Would this mean that there will be a booming effect and distortion? I heard the tannoy revolution without sub and they were not filling the room as the B&Ws. I really don't know what to do Regards

I thought I better come back on this and clarify some of my earlier comments,I did not get a chance last night as I was watching Band of Brothers parts 2&3 off Blu-ray which was absolutely brilliant.

My comment "I hope you live in a detatched house" is because I think that if you have 683 fronts and 685 rears it would certainly fill the room and is possibly too big for a room that size. The 685 system. may be good enough. If you go for 684 fronts you may want to consider using the 686 as rears. The WHF review of the 684s stated " you need no (or understanding) neighbours" I certainly like to turn the volume up on mine when playing music.

I have B&W 684 fronts DS3 rears an HTM61or62 centre (the smaller one) and an MA RSW12 sub fed from an Onkyo 875 and it sounds fabulous in surround sound or stereo but my lounge is 8.5 x 4m and I live in a detatched house. I would not want to live in a semi or apartment with someone with this system living next door to me because you will certainly want to turn the volume up.

I demoed the RS6 system against the 684s and I plcked the 684s because they suited me better for music and I have not been disappointed. . If you like the B&Ws the best go for them you wont regret it.

B&W recommend that you position the 684sor 683s approximately 0.5m from the back and side walls and I would guess all other makes of floorstanding speaker would recommend the same

You will get plenty of bass from floorstanders but not booming bass if properly positioned

A

Anonymous

Thank you this is the best i could here. In fact my living room is 12mX4,5m plus a kitchen but i will be hearing withing the space i mentioned earlier. I hope the Subs low bass would be stomach kicking. I am leaning towards my set very much.... Thank you

A

Anonymous

My system would be deemed as blasphemous by most audiophiles` books - Onkyo 906 bi-amped to Jamo R907 front speakers, a Jamo C800 center, Jamo E700 surrounds, 2x Jamo E7 subs, 2x Jamo X8 subs.

The R907 speakers are massive (56kgs each) and took some moving about to find its "sweet spot". The subs cross-over frequencies were set to 40hz, the R907s will deal with the rest. I used the Audissey feature to do the initial set-up. The (number of) subs will rattle your teeth and crack the floor if provoked, but the aim was to have smooth bass for music, and to shake the room when needed shaking for movies and games. Each channel is extremely well defined. 6 months on, and I am still tweaking my system - it is the part I enjoy the most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts