What speakers for Cyrus

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have Cyrus CD8se with Cyrus 8 power with Pvs-2 pre amp with Spendor A5 speakers. I am a little dissapointed with the performance of the A5s and wish to upgrade. I do like a reasonable amount of volume and the A5s distort at any thing above half volume. Have fitted atenuators to prevent damage. Spendor seem to think my room is too large at 6m x 3m. In any case I have decided that the A5s must go.
Can anyone suggest a suitable upgrade/replacement for the A5s that will cope with a decent volume.

matthewpiano

I've heard Vienna Acoustics sounding beautiful on the end of Cyrus kit. Might be worth exploring. However, on many amps the halfway setting and above does tend to distort as you'll probably find the amp is putting out a lot of its power by that point.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I can second that recommendation for the Vienna's i tried the Beethoven Grands on the end of the same system as yours and can report a very balanced and smooth sound which will fill your room no trouble. They can go very loud without sounding distressed in any way, give them a try but as i was warned be careful you may fall in love with them and they don't come cheap !

A

Anonymous

I auditioned loads of speakers to go with my Cyrus 8xpdQX and wasn't happy with any of the usual suspects.

On audition day, in a last ditch attempt to see if what I wanted could be achieved, I asked the chap in the shop to put a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands on.

I was blown away. Weight, authority, clarity, everything. I then knew it was tme to start saving.

I bought some ex-dem for a large saving. They are stunning.

Audition any Vienna Acoustics - but be warned - you might not accept anything less afterwards...

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Audiovectors - what else!! :grin: But I would say that....

Usual recommendations:

Vienna Acoustics

Proac e.g. D18

ATC (but not the 40s unless lots of power +++ e.g. MonoXs)

Dynaudio - huge range... wouldn't mind the Confidence series :)

PMC - nice and detailed.

I didn't particularly like the Spendors either... probably good for chamber music but not enough "punch" for me. The AVs are a sledgehammer with rock (on the end of MonoXs)!!

Just my 2c

A

Anonymous

alan harknett said:
groberton i blame you for recommending them to me , once i heard them i was hooked - stunning speakers be warned i ended up with the Concert Grands at a massive discount.

Fantastic! Happy to take the blame...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Oditioned the VA concerto Beethoven baby an it's a great speaker I compared them with the D18 witch sounded realy different.

I don't know witch I prefered an to be honest still don't.

But when I have my new amp (an the rest) an time is come for new speakers I will most certenly audition theme again, but will provably listen to the Big brothers. :grin:

Don't how they sound on Cyrus

But I'm shore you made a great choice :clap:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would agree that your room is a little big for the A5's. I would also add that the A5 would probably need an X Power to start to sound their best anyway.

If you want to maximise the power your 8 Power has, stick to efficient speakers. Depending on your budget, the ProAc D18's will be worth trying as already mentioned, as well as the Studio 140.2, or the KEF R500 or R700. All of these speakers use a larger mid/bass driver, or use two smaller bass drivers, and will handle more power.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts