What should I upgrade first ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Visiting the Sound and Vision show in Bristol can be dangerous. Whilst my only expenditure during the day was a What HiFi subscription (and some food) I can't stop thinking about upgrading !

My setup is as follows:

Clearaudio Emotion, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE, Rotel RCD-02, Rotel RA-03, Rotel RB-06 power amp - they power Mission 782SE speakers and a REL Sub.

I've also got a Yamaha cinema amp running the centre and rear speakers but this post is hifi related.

Whilst I'm quite happy with the sound quality I'm pretty sure I'm not making the most of my Clearaudio/Gram Amp combo. The speakers were very well rated by What HiFi a few years back. Are my amps the week link here ?

I sometimes find the CD player to be a little forward and bright - but maybe that's just CD's nowadays being so overly compressed it takes away the joy of listening. Older CD's play much better I think.

I tend to get a better soundstage with my speakers firing directly forward - what are other people's opinion on this ? Toe-in slightly or forward firing ?

Suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Matt.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think Mission state that their speakers should be forward, not toed in. But saying that I prefer the sound of my Model70s slightly toed in. The soundstage isn't as accurate, but they seem more detailed. Probably 'cos the tweeters are pointing at my ears rather than the wall behind me?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Schbeemb"]
My setup is as follows:

Clearaudio Emotion, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE, Rotel RCD-02, Rotel RA-03, Rotel RB-06 power amp - they power Mission 782SE speakers and a REL Sub.

[/quote]

Read like a very nice system, for what the money you can't get much better imo.

I would change the cd player but only if you have a budget around £700 +! to make it worthwhile. The similar price range like Marantz 6002 will sound smoother would that be a wise upgrade? I am not sure.

Soundstage, depending on what speakers I own at the time!. Normally I have mine about 8-9ft apart, about 18 inches from the rear walls, to get a good sound stage I think you should toe them in so that they point at your shoulders when you're sat directly in between them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts