What should I upgrade first?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, a newby question - I have just bought my first "proper" hifi system comprising of a NAD3020, a Marantz CD63, a pair of Tannoy 603's and a Denon Tu260 II tuner. I am delighted with the sound, I have only had it for a few days. Thing is when I bought it I heard lots of other stuff - I ended up buying largely on price but think I could / should have spent a bit more in some areas. I bought it all from www.greenhomeshop.co.uk, I went there and picked the bits out. If you were in the same position what bits would you upgrade first? Dave at green home suggested I should spend most of my money on speakers - would you guys agree with that?

Sorry if this seems a bit dumb but I am enjoying the sound so much but at the same time can't help wondering how much better it could be. There was so much to choose from, I could see this becoming an obsession...

Thanks in advance,

Arthur,

PS is there a proper place for newbies to introduce themselves on this forum?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO the amp and the speakers are the weak point for me in that system.

What would also be handy to know is what music do you like and what speaker cable and interconnects are you running?

The NAD 3020 was a good amp in its time but it'll be showing its age now if you ask me; i'd be tempted to look for a NAD C320BEE on eBay if thats possible?

Also; as with regards to speakers; there's all sorts of choice out there but it all depends on your budget and also what kind of music youre into!

A

Anonymous

Hi there, thanks for the answer. I am running some speaker cable and interconnects that Dave gave me for free - nothing special. He did not have many speakers in so my choice was a bit limited, even so I like the sound of the Tannoys. I did hear them on an amp that was way over my budget and they sounded amazing - I forget what amp it was. Think I will stick with what I have for a month or two before changing anything but wanted to see what others thought. I listen to all sorts of stuff, favorites being Pink Floyd, Elbow, Kings of Leon, Jethro Tull - all sorts really. Budget will probably be about £200-250 if I wait a month or two.

Thanks again for the reply.

A

Anonymous

Glad you like the Tannoys, they are excellent speakers. Still have mine in storage, they're destined for a second system at some point in the future.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well seeing as you have similar tastes in music to me (and youre the 1st on here that ive seen that likes Jethro Tull :) )

Id say use that budget on a newer amp; the NAD C320BEE would be spot on and you can get good examples on eBay for less than £140.

That will also leave you budget for some new speaker cable and interconnects as well; Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and the Chord Crimson interconnect would be ideal IMO

A

Anonymous

Good heavens, I thought we Tull fans were a dying breed :) I don't have much of their stuff on CD but I have live in Montreux on DVD, which is temporarily hooked up to the NAD. I have nearly all their earlier albums on vinyl, might get a deck soon.

I was shown some super high quality Sterling Black Mamba cables - these are them here http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=589 sadly they won't fit in the NAD terminals :-(

I notice that he has a Pioneer A400 amplifier in stock now, my mate tells me these are incredible amps. I daren't buy another one just yet, Mrs Greebling would pull my face off. This is the amp here: http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=668. Looks like those Mamba cables would fit in the back too...

I musn't, I really musn't..........

Thnaks for the replies,

Arthur.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Welcome to your new obsession.

I'd stick with the Chord cables suggested above. Not too expensive, so should keep your better half happy, and will be a big stepup from "out of the box" cables. I don't know your Amp, but regarding the speakers, you will find lots of options second hand. I'd give consideration to B&W 602's, which served me very well with a Marantz CD42(or was it 52, can't remember), and Arcam A65+ Amp. If you can stretch a bit further, you could get a new set of B&W 685's, which are well thought of in the mag.

The other thing to think about is a decent pair of speaker stands. You could try Soundstyle Z2's, or if you plan to upgrade speakers further down the line, Partington Superdreadnoughts.

As you've just bought your system and like the sound, I'd be inclined to go for the cables and stands, which will give you a real difference, and can still be put to use when you upgrade your kit in the future.

You can also revive your vinyl collection with a cheap turntable from the likes of Project.

Good luck and enjoy the music.

Shuggie

A

Anonymous

a good system should always start at the mains so get a good mains conditioner and decent power cables . Now power cables go from around £25 up to £20,000(nordost) but i use clearer audio mains cables and get a great effect from my system .
Always start at the cables mate

T

the record spot

I've no idea how the Marantz/NAD/Tannoy combo will work, but as a NAD3020A owner myself (since 1986 and still going strong), you do have a little discussed option of adding a power amp to the 3020 due to it having pre-outs. Check out any technical limitations as this is another option open to you.

The amp is a bit warm, so this may or may not appeal and should balance well against the CD63's more forthright sound. Assuming the Tannoy 603's lie somewhere to the middle of this audio spectrum, then you could have a good sound going here.

That said, I'd look at an amp upgrade first, thereafter the source and finally the speakers. I've briefly used a BT Mains Conditioner and while there is a slight difference to the overall sonic picture, that I could detect at any rate, there isn't the same step-up as you'd get with a major component change. No disrespect to the earlier poster's opinions on this matter intended at all. The Tacima MC 6-way block seems like £30 well spent, although I might attempt to draw your wallet away from the £20k Nordost!

A

Anonymous

Funny that, Mr Spot, you said exactly what Dave in the shop said about the NAD amp balancing well with the Cd player, I am sure you are both spot on - forgive the pun. I did hear the CD player with a Technics amp but it was too bright for my ears. I am not at all sure about mains leads and things, as an ex electrical engineer that makes no sense to me. The power comes out the wall socket and in to a transformer so I can't see how putting anything in between can make any difference whatsoever - can anyone elighten me on this point? I can see interconnects and speaker cables making a difference as they are in the signal path but anything before the transformer should surely be negated by the transformer, rectification and smoothing of the capacitors within the units.

Thanks for all that have responded thus far, I think I am going to enjoy seeking elightenment :)

Arthur.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts