What should I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Who is being insulted?[/quote]

Those underlings you consider not to be

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]the truly knowledgable audiophiles[/quote]

who

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]know that and agree with it.[/quote]
[/quote]

A knowledgable plumber knows about the inner workings of a boiler. Does stating a fact universally known by knowledgable plumbers about boilers insult all plumbers that don't know anything about boilers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]A knowledgable plumber knows about the inner workings of a boiler. Does stating that fact insult all plumbers that don't know anything about boilers?[/quote]

If they are plumbers who've taken the trouble to experience how well various boilers work in real world conditions rather than just 'knowing' that all boilers are the same because they simply can't be different, then I think they might well be insulted by someone suggesting they lack knowledge, yes.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
emotion-21.gif

Happy Christmas, Andrew - still bringing true logic to the Forums on 24th Dec.

And season's greetings to you all: now go away and spend times with your nearest and dearest.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"] they are plumbers who've taken the trouble to experience how well various boilers work in real world conditions rather than just 'knowing' that all boilers are the same because they simply can't be different[/quote]

You appear to confuse knowing how a radio works with knowing how to work a radio.

Those that have knowledge are not so easily fooled by bogus claims and there are far too many of those even among otherwise apparently honest suppliers of cables.

Would you like me to compile a list of offenders and post it?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="Andrew Everard"] they are plumbers who've taken the trouble to experience how well various boilers work in real world conditions rather than just 'knowing' that all boilers are the same because they simply can't be different[/quote] You appear to confuse knowing how a radio works with knowing how to work a radio.

Those that have knowledge are not so easily fooled by bogus claims and there are far too many of those even among otherwise apparently honest suppliers of cables.
Would you like me to compile a list of offenders and post it?
[/quote]

Have you actually demo'd different interconnects? if you have and you genuinely cant hear a difference then it sounds to me like you are just one of those people who is tone deaf. its quite common. i suppose its the aural equivalent of being colour blind. Messing around with different cables and hearing how different they all sound is quite good fun and can allow you to really tweak your system.it's a pity that you cant take advantage of that. I can hear the difference between cables, no matter how much you trot out your electrical boffinry ,and noone is going to tell me i am imagining it or being ripped off.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]

You appear to confuse knowing how a radio works with knowing how to work a radio.[/quote]

As I have said in another post. You are so funny with a witty line for everything.

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Those that have knowledge[/quote]

I am looking forward to when you decide to show us this knowledge. Maybe you will leak a bit of it (here and there) in between your whimsical tirades.

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"] Would you like me to compile a list of offenders and post it?[/quote]

The offenders that have broken McAlpines 2nd Law . This states: "Anything designed/ researched/ developed outside my totally arbitrary set of criteria is bogus regardless of any experimental evidence that may exist.

McAlpines 1st Law states: " Any blind tests taken by any individuals, magazines, manufactures, scientific bodies are invalid except when the results fall within the arbitrary criteria as defined myself.

McAlpines 3rd Law States: " Under no circumstance is any proof required to justify, quantify or legitimize any results derived from the first two laws, any request for such proofs should be treated with disdain and subject to self-righteous ridicule and where possible insults. These insults are of course also facts and not open to discussion. "

McAlpines 4th Law States: " There is no need to actually audition any equipment,cable or connectors as I can already deemed what its performance is. This is to be regarded as fact and the universe is wrong where any conflict exist."

I have said it before and I will say it again- Mr McAlpine you are a "hoot!" and posses an entertainment value second to none. You even rival that great legend "OldPhrt", Thank you and keep up the good work!

nads

[quote user="cannon_dt"]
I am now happy that the NAD is probably going to be my next step and then after I can fill my pockets up, I would probably upgrade my Jamos to Dyns.
[/quote]

you will not be unhappy with that amp it will power a lot of speakers with ease, i was using it on it's own for a year but then got the upgrade bug for some new speakers and decided to add another amp and bi-amp the new speakers. I highly recommed replacing the steel pre-out main in jumpers with something like the TARA LABS RSC Missing Link cable as they do the sound wonders.
Change the amp and then live with it for a while and then look at new speakers.

A

Anonymous

Whats bothering me is this now - would I be doing injustice to the dyns if paired with the NAD C372? Is it that they deserve a better amp, in that case which one? Also even I get the NAD and the DYNs and if I eventually biamp them (with a C272 say) would I be doing justice then?

Somehow I want to amek the C372-Aud 52 combo work? Is this a bad pairing?

Nads. with your experience with the 372, what would you recommend as the ideal pair of speakers? Would you agree that the dyns would want more that the C372 to shine?

Please advice a little more and bear with my bothering.

PS : A merry Christmas to ALL!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]it sounds to me like you are just one of those people who is tone deaf.[/quote]

Not at all. I have excellent hearing.

The secret is not trying to hear differences that aren't there.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]The secret is not trying to hear differences that aren't there.[/quote]

LOL Priceless!

And to hear differences that are there,that is - not be bloody minded and reject anything that does not conform to one of McAlpines laws. I said it before and I'll say it again you're a "hoot" and a lot of fun.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="Keith McAlpine"] You appear to confuse knowing how a radio works with knowing how to work a radio.[/quote]

As I have said in another post. You are so funny with a witty line for everything.
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Those that have knowledge[/quote]

I am looking forward to when you decide to show us this knowledge. Maybe you will leak a bit of it (here and there) in between your whimsical tirades.
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"] Would you like me to compile a list of offenders and post it?[/quote]

The offenders that have broken McAlpines 2nd Law . This states: "Anything designed/ researched/ developed outside my totally arbitrary set of criteria is bogus regardless of any experimental evidence that may exist.

McAlpines 1st Law states: " Any blind tests taken by any individuals, magazines, manufactures, scientific bodies are invalid except when the results fall within the arbitrary criteria as defined myself.

McAlpines 3rd Law States: " Under no circumstance is any proof required to justify, quantify or legitimize any results derived from the first two laws, any request for such proofs should be treated with disdain and subject to self-righteous ridicule and where possible insults. These insults are of course also facts and not open to discussion. "

McAlpines 4th Law States: " There is no need to actually audition any equipment,cable or connectors as I can already deemed what its performance is. This is to be regarded as fact and the universe is wrong where any conflict exist."

I have said it before and I will say it again- Mr McAlpine you are a "hoot!" and posses an entertainment value second to none. You even rival that great legend "OldPhrt", Thank you and keep up the good work!

[/quote]

Anton, you just made me laugh so hard Champagne shot right up my nose. Now come on everyone, it's CHRISTMAS......

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]you're a "hoot" and a lot of fun[/quote]

Cheers mate!. Happy Christmas to you and everyone else too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="Fraziel"]it sounds to me like you are just one of those people who is tone deaf.[/quote] Not at all. I have excellent hearing.

The secret is not trying to hear differences that aren't there.
[/quote]

You can have excellent hearing and still be tone deaf. How do you know you are not? if you are tone deaf its quite possible that you are not aware of it.Many people have no clue that they are unable to differentiate between keys.lots of them appear on the x factor auditions. I am sure a lot of them just do not hear what most of the rest of us are hearing when they sing.if you are positive you are not tone deaf,how else would you not hear such damatically obvious changes in tone and sound that nearly everyone else can hear when cables are swapped around?

A

Anonymous

I[quote user="Fraziel"]You can have excellent hearing and still be tone deaf. How do you know you are not? if you are tone deaf its quite possible that you are not aware of it.Many people have no clue that they are unable to differentiate between keys.[/quote]

Sorry to spoil your theory but I'm not one of those. I'm told I have a good tenor voice.

[quote user="Fraziel"]how else would you not hear such damatically obvious changes in tone and sound that nearly everyone else can hear when cables are swapped around?[/quote]

Get someone to test you by swapping or not swapping (with interconnects or mains leads) and I guarantee you will have to eat your words. Dramatically obvious bah humbug!

A good and prosperous new year to all.

A

Anonymous

Best wishes to all during this holiday times !!

It seems like my topic has veered off course but still healthy.

Anyone feel like getting back to my problem, please do post !!!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Get someone to test you by swapping or not swapping (with interconnects or mains leads) and I guarantee you will have to eat your words.[/quote]

Sorry to spoil YOUR theory But being disabled I can not get round the back of my hifi to change the connections. I HAVE to rely on friends (most of them arn't above trying to trick me-so I have regular forced blind tests done on me) to effect changes to the hifi.

I noticed a small but significant improvement when I changed from the bog standard give away cables to the QED incon interconnect in the late 80's. I even used some speaker litz cable (orange & green coloured insulation) and that was better then the QED. I noticed a much bigger change with home made coax interconnect ( this cost me more for the plugs then the cable). These are my current cables.

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]I guarantee you will have to eat your words.[/quote]

Mmmm.... Delicious!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]Sorry to spoil YOUR theory But being disabled I can not get round the back of my hifi [/quote]

I realise that, I meant the other chap. To be tested properly you would need someone to try and trick you.

[quote user="Anton90125"]I noticed a much bigger change with home made coax interconnect ( this cost me more for the plugs then the cable). These are my current cables.[/quote]

Which neatly reiterates my point about not needing to spend a fortune on interconnects. Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I originally made my own from necessity because I have a din based amp and could only find crappy ones. The expensive cables some of these companies sell are probably cheaply made in China anyway.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Which neatly reiterates my point about not needing to spend a fortune on interconnects. Cheers![/quote]

I've never said you should? I don't think there is a unity correlation between cost and performance. But there is a performance gradient.

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]To be tested properly you would need someone to try and trick you.[/quote]

I wish I had a pound ever time I was tested! There was one time they changed a cable and didn't tell me. It took me half an hour, alot of moaning and a general feeling that my valve amp (A Copland at that time) valve bias needed to be re adjusted. I knew something was amiss. When they admitted to their trick (and had a good laugh) they changed the cable back, I had my sound back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts