What settings do you guys use?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first post, so I thought I would make it simple!!

I have a Yamaha 750SE, which is possibly up for replacement soon, but this question really applies to most amplifiers.

What acoustic settings do you use because some, like Hall or Jazz Club, just seem like a waste of electronics. But the manufactureres seem to make it almost impossible to listen to the sound unchanged. I have mine set to Surround Enhanced, but what do you guys do?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IME, we try the various enhanced modes just to see what they do, but in general stick to the most direct settinbgt possible. So I currently run straight stereo when listening to music or the TV, only using surround when Sky provides it, and with occasional forays into Pro-Logic IIx Movie, and for movies THX Surround EX for Dolby, and straight DTS-ES for DTS.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Does your Yamaha not have a direct mode? I have a Yamaha RXV 2500 and when I listen to music I used the PURE DIRECT mode which turns off all video outputs and even the display on the amp allowing better stereo reporduction.
If your amp does not feature this mode simply select the STEREO sound field on your remote which is switchable between 2 and 7 channel.

A

Anonymous

Wow, that was quick!

Thanks for your response, I tend to swap between standard and enhanced depending upon what I am watching. I don't use it for music as I have a dedicated Hi-Fi room for that. I also tend to swap between Dolby Digital and DTS, again it depends on the individual soundtrack.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Try selecting the STRAIGHT mode as this will output what ever you are putting into it from your dvd player if it be DTS, Dolby 5.1 or even 2 channel. I find with my 2500 this gives the most ballanced results.

A

Anonymous

Well i have a Denon AVC A10SE and tend to use either 5 channel stereo for cds or Dolby Digital / DTS for surround. Never use the THX setting as it seems to muffle the sound ever so slightly. The DTS is smoother and a little quieter than the DD on DVDs with both available. Usually U2 DVDs.

Can't say I've ever found the modes of any help at all. Hall, Theatre, Matrix etc just muck up the sound.

TRENDING THREADS