What router?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

As i am new to all this computer based music streaming i need some advice on a wireless router.

Our present router is a Netgear DG834PN about 5 years old.

We often have to pull the power to reset it as its not great.

We now have a Macbook Pro and are streaming iTunes to a Sonos ZP90 soon to buy a Qnap NAS and hard wire Qnap and NAS together.

We use an iPhone 4 and 4s as Sonos controllers and use wifi constantly with these.

What would be the best most stable router? PC world are having a sale on Netgear routers and would we be best to get one that is wireless n rather than the older b and g and would this work with our devices?

Many thanks in advance

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hi all,

As i am new to all this computer based music streaming i need some advice on a wireless router.

Our present router is a Netgear DG834PN about 5 years old.

We often have to pull the power to reset it as its not great.

We now have a Macbook Pro and are streaming iTunes to a Sonos ZP90 soon to buy a Qnap NAS and hard wire Qnap and NAS together.

We use an iPhone 4 and 4s as Sonos controllers and use wifi constantly with these.

What would be the best most stable router? PC world are having a sale on Netgear routers and would we be best to get one that is wireless n rather than the older b and g and would this work with our devices?

Many thanks in advance

Dont buy a Belkin N Router like mine..... Giving me loads of probs just now!!

Everyone i read about says the Netgears are the way to go...... I will certainly looking into one soon.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I was told by O2 (so perhaps not that reliable) that the majority of 'drop outs' are due to poor quality ASDL filters, rather than the router itself. They reckoned you need to replace the filter every 18 months or so as they 'wear out'....

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi ric71

I would recommend the Netgear N600 as a good Netgear router to grab on offer (or even not on offer).

It's got simultaneous dual band which means it can run two wireless networks at once (and you can configure them separately).

It has 4 gigabit ports which a surprising number of routers don't still (using slower 100Mb tech)

It has both ADSL and cable ports (so if you change your mind on provider you can use the same router)

It also has quality of service features which may be of interest, so you can tell it to make sure a streaming service's traffic is considered high priority than web or email.

(john1000000boy I'd recommend this to you too as it does sound like you're still having issues).

What HiFi's sister mag PC Pro has a very positive review, as do other sites.

They also tested the apparently higher spec N7000 and found the wireless range and speeds to be slower, btw.

Rob

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys,
I have been looking at the Netgear N600 sounds like it will do the trick will make a decision over the weekend.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This site might be useful. Select the benchmark u want to see at the top (5ghz or 2.4)

If u click on the routers in the chart most of them have reviews also.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/67-5-ghz-dn-40

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts