What receiver to go with M-1?

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Denon AVR-2106 but as it has not HDMI inputs or HD decoding I am thinking of upgrading. I have a Rel Quake Sub and 5xB&W M-1 speakers.

I don't have much of a budget since blowing all my cash on a new TV and Blu-ray player, so if I am going to change my receiver I want it to make a big difference to the sound. So any suggestions on an upgrade for around £500, or would I be better off just connecting the multi channel audio outputs from my Blu-ray to get the benefits of the new HD sound? Do I need to save some more to get the most of my speakers? I have seen the review of the AVR-1910, would this be a big improvement?

I have never really been blown away by the performance of my AVR-2106, especially with dialog, where I have always felt it a little light, that said the layout of my lounge may not help, its a long narrow-ish room, 24ftx14ft, so even though I have all the speakers around the listening position I think a lot of the sound 'leaks' out. i.e. I have a friend, who although on paper his system is much worse than mine, it always sounds better as he has his TV in a small dedicated room.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
notaclue:or would I be better off just connecting the multi channel audio outputs from my Blu-ray to get the benefits of the new HD sound?

Yes.

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, that's great news as it saves me wasting £500 on a non-upgrade. Perhaps I am expecting too much, but I am a little surprised that in the 4 years since I bought the original receiver that the technology hasn't improved significantly enough to make a similar price purchase get me a much better sound now?

notaclue

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
One last question - since it seems a change of receiver isn't required. If I attach my Blu-ray to my Amp via the multi-chanell outs then do I still leave the optical connection in place for when I am playing normal DVD's? Would it sound better for that? - I know it gives me additional processing options. If so will the Amp/player know which one to use or will I have to change settings each time? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts