Question What receiver to get?

Jash

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Hi, simple list of gear involved: Pro-ject elemental turntable, basic pre-amp, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, KRK Rokit 5 Speakers.

As far as I understand it, in this list of gear the Focusrite Scarlett is acting as the receiver right? It does its job well enough as it's simple to adjust the volume on it without having to fiddle at the back of the speakers but it requires my computer to be on in order to operate. Any recommendations for a basic receiver that can just be powered off the mains instead? All I really need is two inputs and outputs and a volume knob. Maybe a little bit of EQ would be a nice upgrade. I'd like to keep it under £100 and ideally just spend around £50, from what I can see it looks like everything tends to be more expensive but it also tends to have way more than I'm looking for.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Gray

Hi, simple list of gear involved: Pro-ject elemental turntable, basic pre-amp, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, KRK Rokit 5 Speakers.

As far as I understand it, in this list of gear the Focusrite Scarlett is acting as the receiver right? It does its job well enough as it's simple to adjust the volume on it without having to fiddle at the back of the speakers but it requires my computer to be on in order to operate. Any recommendations for a basic receiver that can just be powered off the mains instead? All I really need is two inputs and outputs and a volume knob. Maybe a little bit of EQ would be a nice upgrade. I'd like to keep it under £100 and ideally just spend around £50, from what I can see it looks like everything tends to be more expensive but it also tends to have way more than I'm looking for.

Cheers.
In your setup it seems the Focusrite is acting as a DAC / preamplifier.
('Receiver' is a name they gave to amplifiers with radio tuners built into the same chassis - these days more commonly used for AV amps in home cinema setups).
What is it that your computer feeds to the Focusrite? Streaming? Your own music from hard drive? Both?
In other words, tell us what you want to be able to listen to (other than your turntable) and people will come up with some ideas - can't guarantee all will be under a hundred quid though ;)

Last edited:

Jash

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
In your setup it seems the Focusrite is acting as a DAC / preamplifier.
('Receiver' is a name they gave to amplifiers with radio tuners built into the same chassis).
What is it that your computer feeds to the Focusrite? Streaming? Your own music from hard drive? Both?
Well the turntable is already going into a Pre-amp, or at least it was but I've dismantled the setup right now and can't find the thing. It was really basic, can't remember the make but it did amplify the turntable signal. I believe the focusrite was basically acting as glorified volume knob that outputted to the speakers (even though it's capable of being a preamp). I suppose it could have been bypassed and I could have gone direct from preamp into speakers using phono to XLR cables but then I wouldn't have volume control (other than at the back of the speakers) as the preamp didn't have any.

I used the focusrite mainly as a USB interface preamp for guitars connecting to plugins and DAWs but it was convenient that it connected the PC to my speakers so I could stream music to them from it if I wanted to - otherwise it connected my turntable to the speakers through previously mentioned method.

Gray

You're right Jash, it was acting as a glorified volume control for your t/t preamp output.
But it's also a USB DAC for your computer right?
See the last part of my post above, which I added after you quoted it.

Jash

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
You're right Jash, it was acting as a glorified volume control for your t/t preamp output.
But it's also a USB DAC for your computer right?
See the last part of my post above, which I added after you quoted it.
Oh I see what you mean haha, I was dealing with a simultaneous conversation IRL. Yeah as I said I stream music from spotify to the interface every now and then and sometimes I'll use them to monitor some guitar mixing from DAWs, and then with the old set up I would just stick a quarter jack into either input on the interface from my turntable preamp to play records to the speakers.

Gray

Oh I see what you mean haha, I was dealing with a simultaneous conversation IRL. Yeah as I said I stream music from spotify to the interface every now and then and sometimes I'll use them to monitor some guitar mixing from DAWs, and then with the old set up I would just stick a quarter jack into either input on the interface from my turntable preamp to play records to the speakers.
....seems like, for your purposes, you need that Focusrite always connected to your speakers then.
You can get basic standalone streamers (to avoid the need for the computer to be on) which could also go through the 2i2 - as long as it can accept an external 5 volt supply.

Jash

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
....seems like, for your purposes, you need that Focusrite always connected to your speakers then.
You can get basic standalone streamers (to avoid the need for the computer to be on) which could also go through the 2i2 - as long as it can accept an external 5 volt supply.
How about getting a pre-amp with a volume control and connecting straight to the speakers from it? I would have to change cables over when I switch between PC stuff and my turntable but I'm okay with that, was basically doing that already. If anything seriously needs an upgrade it's probably the preamp anyway.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-Fono-Mini-A2D-Pre-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0072RZ95U

gasolin

you can connect everything to it, you can't connect the pre amp for the turntable to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Last edited:

gasolin

He does at the moment Gas, the 2i2 has line inputs.

That is for mics

scarlett-2i2-hero-860-330_1.png

gasolin

It's a combi socket, mic or line inputs.

Having a long cable from the turntable and in at the front of the 2I2, i wouldn't like if the interface is on the desk (you would have it close to your system so you don 't have to move to adjust the volume and to keep cable to the speakers as short as possible) next to the speaker,pc,monitor (cable in at the rear won't bother me)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

How about getting a pre-amp with a volume control and connecting straight to the speakers from it? I would have to change cables over when I switch between PC stuff and my turntable but I'm okay with that, was basically doing that already. If anything seriously needs an upgrade it's probably the preamp anyway.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rega-Fono-Mini-A2D-Pre-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0072RZ95U
I've got nothing against Rega Jash (I worked there once) but I've got a suggestion for something more suitable for your purposes.
I can confirm it's OK, as I bought one for myself.
It's is a phono preamp / computer interface / headphone amp.
Have a look down bottom left on this page here:
You can download a PDF of the user manual. On page 7 is a block diagram, which shows the signal route and what it can do.
From the diagram you might notice that the one thing it doesn't do is put the computer out through the 'line out' RCA sockets (just allows computer on headphones).
But by taking a feed out of the headphone socket (with its gain set to 7.5) using the appropriate lead / adaptors.....it would do everything for you:

Without unplugging anything you could play PC, phono (or both) out to your speakers.

I think you may have heard of Bax music. I've used them quite a bit. Here it is, currently £76. Enter code LYT2066UWJS at the checkout to see if the 10% discount code works for you....making it £68.40 :love:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts