What power do i need for a 45m2 living room?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to buy a stereo amp and a pair of speakers. What power do i need for the amp to work well in my 45m2 living room ? And for the speakers, what power should they handle? Do i need a 2nd pair?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rfaustino:
I want to buy a stereo amp and a pair of speakers. What power do i need for the amp to work well in my 45m2 living room ? And for the speakers, what power should they handle? Do i need a 2nd pair?

It's a big room but not a ballroom! No need for two pairs. It all depends on your budget. You will have a wider selection available to you than the average person.

A

Anonymous

The most important factor is speaker efficiency. It is not that more efficient speakers are better but they need less power to drive them. For example a 87db(W and m are in the units too) speaker will need twice as much power in W as a 90db speaker.

What is your budget?

Can you have the speakers at least 50cm from the walls as that enables you to have speakers with more bass without boominess?

A

Anonymous

My budget is about 1000£, for the amp and the speakers. It's better floostanders? I like to feel a punchy bass.

What do yoou suggest?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

You don't have the budget for the crossover point where floor standers sound as good as similar priced stand mounters IMHO.

Generally speaking if you want good bass go for big cabinets. I had some B&W602S3 speakers and the boxes were big and the bass fat.

Don't forget to include some substantial stands as this can improve the bass considerably for a stand mount speaker.

For a speaker of about 90dB sensitivity, I would try to match it with an amp of at least 60W RMS at 8 ohms. However current output is a better guide to driving speakers but most manufacturers won't quote this.

I had a Magnum IA70 amplifier (sadly no longer in production) that was rated at 70W but the current delivery was high so they drove those B&Ws well.

I would start with speakers (Dynaudio and B&W may be a good start if bass is important) and then try to find an amp to drive them as speaker choice is more personal.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help Angelface!

Well, i think i will buy floor standers...

What do you think of these options?

B&W 684 Price: 700£, Sensitivity:90, Impedance: 8 ohm Max power: 150W

Monitor Audio Bronze Bx5: Price:500£, sensitivity 90, Impedance 8 ohm, Max powe: 120w

Amps:

YAMAHA A-S500: Price 330£ power: 85wx2, 8 ohm (also have subwoofer out)

MARANTZ PM6003 Price 300£ power 45wx2, 8 ohm

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 650A Price 350£ power 75x2, 8 ohm

My favourites are the B&W and the YAMAHA. Do you think they match?

A

Anonymous

I considered the 683's before buying my Wilson Beneesch Square Ones. If you can stretch to the 683's I would as the mlidrange driver is better. Have you heard the CM series as the tweeter is better?

Have you heard a NAD amp as the power rating is very conservative on NAD amps (they have more power than their quoted ratings suggest!)?

You won't need a subwoffer for music with floor standers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts