What player for better sound?

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have one of the first generation Sony players (BDP-S350) and the audio quality isn't the best, especially dialogue, which can be lost on some films requiring constant volume adjustment.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a more up-to-date player and my budget is up to £250. I've looked a a few that are recomended on here and I'm quite interested in the Pioneer BDP-450 and the Pany BDT500.

As I'm using a soundbase that only decodes DD 5.1 I must have the option to individually convert DTS to PCM, plus a digital coax out is a priority as this is the input requirement on the soundbase.

I'm sure some of you will comment that the dialogue issue is down to the soundbase but I can assure you that I had similar issues when I had a full 5.1 system before I moved house - I'm aware that the soundbase doesn't provide the best audio experience but it is the compromise I have had to make in our new house. At this stage, I want to update the blu ray player for a better picture and sound.

Does anyone have any experience of the above mentioned players I've been looking at, or can anyone recomend another player artound that price point. WiFi and apps aren't that crucial, I'm mainly interested in the picture and sound improvements, and, as mentioned, it MUST have coax digital out and individual downmix for both DTS and DD?

Many thanks

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi bigboss

I've seen a lot on various forums regarding these early generation Sony's having poor sound repro on many blu ray films, and how some of the newer players are a lot better.

As mentioned in the original post, my soundbase has a DD 5.1 decoder built in but no DTS decoding, so the DTS is being downmixed PCM through the player settings to 2 channel stereo.

The setup is a Sony BDP-S350 blu ray - HDMI to a Panny 50" plasma (ST60 I think) - digital coax from the player to the soundbase for films, digital optical from the TV to the soundbase for TV.

thanks

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Any of the newer players will do the job if it is indeed a problem with S350. You won't get better sound with expensive players.

So what are the main benefits with the more expensive players then - why shouldn't I just go and buy a £50 supermarket special?

thanks

daveb73 said:
bigboss said:
Any of the newer players will do the job if it is indeed a problem with S350. You won't get better sound with expensive players.

So what are the main benefits with the more expensive players then - why shouldn't I just go and buy a £50 supermarket special?

thanks

For pure 1080p blu ray pictures, there is no difference between players, as long as the players don't add any artificial processing. It's usually the more expensive players who have options for artificial processing. Any artificial processing isn't liked by video purists. On the same note, if sound is transmitted via HDMI, there's little or no difference. In your case, you have a soundbase. You will not be able to discern any difference.

The more expensive players benefit from possibly superior DVD upcaling, better build quality and more features like smart apps (YouTube etc.), built-in wifi, compatibility with various disc formats etc. (if you have SACD or DVD-Audio).

Check any blu ray player review on AV forums. They allude to the same thing.

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Just having a look at various players it appears that some may not have ability to individualy set either DD 5.1 or DTS to output PCM. On my Sony there are the menu options for both DD and DTS (bitstream or PCM) individually, where as one of the newer Sony's I've been looking at, in the manual it seems to be a single 'blanket' setting for both DD and DTS at the same time.

I know this may sound fussy to you guys with the proper set-ups, but my soundbase only decodes DD 5.1 and not DTS and DD does sound a lot better than a DTS signal downmixed via PCM, so I'd be keen to make sure any new player has the feature to set these individually.

Soooo, my question is, from your understanding do most newer players allow for this individual setting to be performed?

thanks

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
There seems to be a new trend (from my point of view) of saying 'all players are the same with a 1080p picture'

Well I'm on the camp that totally disagree's with this!

Over the years I've found side stepping an upgrade i.e comparing say, a budget player with another budget player I havn't seen any kind of difference, but going from a budget to a high end player then absolutely.

My Denon 3313ud is outstanding and the differences in quality are there to be seen, don't even need to look for it

So if this is the case why do Whathifi review different players and come up with different results in PQ?

Anyway, puzzled rant over, my advice to the OP is demo for yourself as the majority of folk who say there isn't any differences no doubt havn't even tried them.

Decide for yourself :)

Well, I have tested various players myself on my setup. AV forums reviews allude to the same thing in their every blu ray player review. So there is some credibility to this argument.

Demo yourself and see which camp you belong to.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Well, I have tested various players myself on my setup. AV forums reviews allude to the same thing in their every blu ray player review. So there is some credibility to this argument.

And I have also tested various players but come up with different results to you.

And whilst on other forums yes, others also allude to your results they also come up with mine, very passionately so.

And it's down to the OP / individual to find out for themselves also, I don't think it's fair to tell anyone 'there all the same in PQ, that's just going by your own opinion, which isn't gospel, I just tell folk , yes to me there's a difference etc but you maynot see it?

But each to there own, and I stand firmly on my results.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

I would be inclined to disagree. I have in total 4 bluray devices connected to my Panasonic 65" tv, a PS3, PS4, Sony 5000ES and for US discs, a BDPS580.

Each and every one outputs a different image running the same disc and thus required the screen to be calibrated differently.

They may all output 1080p, but I feel as though that is where the video similarities end.

Exactly, there are people with experiences with both sides. Bear in mind the reviewers on AV forums are professional calibrators themselves. Strapped for cash was a firm believer that blu ray players make a difference. He owned a Denon 2500BT. He wasn't keen on the budget blu ray player he was offered free with his TV for the same reason. But after owning the player, even he agreed that blu ray players make no difference in blu ray picture quality. From his posts, it is obvious that he gets bothered by even the smallest of differences in picture quality.

Anyways, there's no point in veering the thread off topic. The OP wants better sound through his soundbase. You may wish to suggest expensive blu ray players (costing more than his soundbase).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts