what over ear headphones for people with large heads

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi all

got a pair of akg k450 for xmas but find them a bit too small ie too tight on my head where can i find decent headphones where the band is a bit longer can go upto £100 plus whatever i can get for the akg's

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The AKG K450 seems to have a reputation as bass-heavy, and from my experience, the sound signature is just as important as anything else like the fit. So you would need to specify what you need in the following:

Closed or open back (open allows sounds in and out).

On ear, in-ear, or around the ear (around ear is full size, which does not indicate fit by the way).

Signature (bright, muted, bassy, lean, etc.)

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The AKG K450 seems to have a reputation as bass-heavy, and from my experience, the sound signature is just as important as anything else like the fit. So you would need to specify what you need in the following:

Closed or open back (open allows sounds in and out).

On ear, in-ear, or around the ear (around ear is full size, which does not indicate fit by the way).

Signature (bright, muted, bassy, lean, etc.)

Good point Dale, more info is needed about preferences before diving in to the suggestions. I can't see anyong putting their hand up for some "muted" sounding headphones, can you clarify that? It sounds like a wholy negative thing to me.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to start throwing model names/numbers of "large" headphones around. I would recommend going to your local HMV, trying as many headphones as you can, and letting us know which ones fit you ok. That and what Dale is asking would be very useful for us to help you better.

Also I hate to say it but... did you try adjusting the band? Because I have seen people complain about headphone's "fit" without realising that they can be extended.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Muted might not be the best term, but since many of the headphone forums describe some of the very popular (and sometimes pricy) headphones today as "bright", I was suggesting that there may actually be people who prefer a slightly recessed "presence" in headphone sound, especially since the earphone is right next to one's ear. I am currently listening to the Shure 1840, which is $700 USD in the U.S., and it is slightly recessed in the presence region compared to my other headphones. So maybe I need a better terminology.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

yes i did adjust the headphones as much as possible i need the band to be about half and inch longer.open or closed back don't mind which might try grado sr60i or sr80i as they seem to be a bit bigger

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
Muted might not be the best term, but since many of the headphone forums describe some of the very popular (and sometimes pricy) headphones today as "bright", I was suggesting that there may actually be people who prefer a slightly recessed "presence" in headphone sound, especially since the earphone is right next to one's ear. I am currently listening to the Shure 1840, which is $700 USD in the U.S., and it is slightly recessed in the presence region compared to my other headphones. So maybe I need a better terminology.

How about "Neutral"? I have not heard the Shure 1840 but this is how i would describe something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. They don't really accentuate anything, no extra bass, no extra upper mids or treble. Just really flat accross the board. I found them really detailed but also a bit too boring for my tastes and prefered the Grado signature or "v-shaped" response from my Denon's or Sennheiser's.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Neutral is getting to be as nebulous a term as anything else these days. But among the old-school hi-fi gurus the Sennheiser 800 is regarded as more or less neutral, and even if that's ultimately voted down, it makes a good reference point for those familiar with it. In the case of the Shure 1840, it is only one of two headphones I've heard that I regard as serious hi-fi 'phones that are recessed in the "presence" region without being rolled off in the highs. The other is the Beyer DT-1350. I made the remark (or asked the question) on another forum to the effect that I wonder if we hi-fi buffs have been hooked on treble the way most people have been hooked on sugar in their food diets over the years. It's interesting too that young people are being sold headphones in large quantities that have severely depressed treble, while older and wealthier audiophiles purchase up in the more treble-centric headphones. I really like the Shure 1840 which reminds me somewhat of the Beyer DT-48A with oval pads - a mid-centric sound. So far I can't be sure that the 1840 is that good, since the DT-48A is the machine to beat in midrange sound.

A

Anonymous

These?

images

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts