What order should you turn on your Hi-Fi seperates?

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi people,

Can some tell me the best/correct order that Hi-Fi seperates should be turned on in a system?

I think it's something like:

Pre-Amp
Power Amp(s)
Source Unit(s)

I'm pretty sure about the amps order but not sure if the Source units such as a CD player should be turned on before the pre and power amps or afterwards/lastly as I have shown above?

Anyone?

A

Anonymous

Ive always went

source-> pre -> power.

I was told that if you put the amps on first your source could make some sort of electrical surge/noise which could cause damage.

Whether there is any truth in this I have no idea but ive never had any problems with this way. I also switch off in reverse order.

A

Anonymous

It's from a safety point of view. Nothing to do with sound quality.

Arcam says in their manuals that you should always let your preamp power up fully before switching the power amp on. There must be some reason for this.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bobbyg81:

Arcam says in their manuals that you should always let your preamp power up fully before switching the power amp on. There must be some reason for this.

Quite right, so you do not blow your speakers, as if there was no input to the power amp and it's fully powered up then you suddenly turn on your pre amp there will be a power surge from pre amp to the power amp, then pop goes the speaker.

lastcoyote, what bobboyg81 said is correct, turn on source first followed by pre-amp then power amp last.

T

the record spot

Hmmm, I think I usually turn on the amp first, but only as the protection circuits takes a few seconds to come online. Pretty much always with the speaker selector set to "off" and while it's doing this, the CD player gets switched on. Once the protection check's done and the power light is stable, I switch over to the selected speakers and we're away.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I turn on my Uniti first then...............oh! that's it, no issues there then
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Always amp last.

At least, that's what the instruction manuals said for my last three, for the reason Bobby 81 gives.

A

Anonymous

Moon say CD then amp, but I've sometimes done it the wrong way round and the world hasn't ended.

A

Anonymous

i allways phone the national grid and let them know first! then i would turn on pre,source, power
emotion-22.gif

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
bobbyg81:

It's from a safety point of view. Nothing to do with sound quality.

exactly, i was speaking from a safety point of view.

thanks for clearing that up for us guys. i was 99% about it being pre then power and that to do it in reverse when switching everything off, just couldn't remember about the source whether it was source on first or last thing.

ON: SOURCE | PRE | POWER
OFF: POWER | PRE | SOURCE

cheers guys.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:I leave my amp & CD on 24/7 unless going on holiday.
emotion-15.gif

oh yeah mine stays on all the time too.

but as you say things like holidays, moving equipment about, cable upgrades and the like require a switch off.

T

the record spot

Just check the power requirements of your amps - mine's a hungry 700+ watts off the wall socket, so leaving that on all the time's probably not the best. If it's on, it's working, if it's not being used, it's going off. Hell, it's 33 years old, so running in's not going to be an issue!

A

Anonymous

maybe MF have shares in the national grid...or no social conscience

A

Anonymous

Not quite. RS has a class A amp by the sound of it which effectively runs full on even when idle, which is why it uses so much power. Class AB amps do not do so, so even if left on, and not in standby they use very little power - Naim, for example, use next to nothing when left on.

That said, even standby mode uses power, so turning off at the mains is the only sure way to save on your bill and also help the environment.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:

Not quite. RS has a class A amp by the sound of it which effectively runs full on even when idle, which is why it uses so much power. Class AB amps do not do so, so even if left on, and not in standby they use very little power - Naim, for example, use next to nothing when left on.

That said, even standby mode uses power, so turning off at the mains is the only sure way to save on your bill and also help the environment.

yep, what he said ^

T

the record spot

The Sansui AU-717 isn't a Class A design. It is, however, a dual mono design from 1977 with two decent sized power transformers and two hefty heatsinks therein.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:The Sansui AU-717 isn't a Class A design. It is, however, a dual mono design from 1977 with two decent sized power transformers and two hefty heatsinks therein.Ah. Then I think the figure you quote is maximum power consumption, not that on idle.

T

the record spot

It's what's on the back of the case. I never claimed to be an electrician. So shoot me.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:It's what's on the back of the case. I never claimed to be an electrician. So shoot me.No, I may have a caustic tongue but I'm a firm believer in non violence
emotion-1.gif
. Some specs (but not the ones on idle) to be found at http://www.sansui.us/images/Manuals/au717_spec.JPG

TRENDING THREADS