what makes perfect speaker stands.?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hiya all. i currently make made2measure and customer designed av furniture but the biggest problem is speaker stands.for my current cust he spent 15k on a cd player amp and 2 very impressive speakers. ha has a special room that he had acoustically sealed he also has a piano in there. i was comissioned to make the speaker stands as he didnt want just metal off the shelf. i have tried all my designs and each set has created differnt sounds. the best were my oak and brushed black mirrored steel which are heavy but created too much base.

so the short of it is there a perfect weight for speaker stands.thanx

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
No.

Sorry!
emotion-1.gif

While there are some attributes that most decent speaker stands share (Sturdyness, heavy in weight, low resonance), each different speaker may work better with a different type of stand - there is no one "magic" formula, or there would only be one speaker stand manufacturer with one model for sale!

It's very much a case of trial and error...

One thing though - if there was too much bass, maybe try moving the speakers out from any nearby walls. Walls tend to exaggerate bass.

What make and model are the speakers?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I go with fbsf but with hollow, filleable stands you should be able to find a happy medium but you should know that if you design stands and such for a living.

When I had my ruarks, i designed my own stands and had them custom made by a local quarry. Cut and polished professionally they looked a million dollars and I was so much in love with them I never bothered to try other stands until I've sold the lot. At present I use filleable stands completely unfilled, just prefer it that way.

A

Anonymous

Low Price.

If you're at all handy you can make excellent looking/performing ones out of mdf, at rod, pvc piping and sand or leadshot.

A

Anonymous

Russ Andrews hasn't launched his stands made out of felt yet has he? I heard felt could have great accoustic qualities... :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is the other approach which is to have a lightweight (but rigid) structure that 'loses' stored energy very quickly. Assuming this can be achieved without any 'ringing' of course.

I remember seeing a documentary about the science of designing an earthquake/hurricane resistant skyscraper and the architect was inspired by how washing machines have a concrete weight over the top of the drum for stability (rather than underneath). In action it was almost as if the spinning washing drum was 'hanging' from the concrete weight like a pendulum. Maybe you could contrive to have the mass of the stand concentrated towards the top then have a light, strong skeletal structure underneath providing rigidity.

Just a thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts