What makes a good Pre-Amp?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've recently entered the world of power amps for the first time which fits nicely with my 8vs2, however it's got me wondering about pre-amps - some of them are incredibly expensive, but what are they? I hesitate to be all Top-Gear about it but are the 'Powers' the engine and the Pre's the pedals and steering wheel?

JJ Cale - Anthology

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll:

I've recently entered the world of power amps for the first time which fits nicely with my 8vs2, however it's got me wondering about pre-amps - some of them are incredibly expensive, but what are they? I hesitate to be all Top-Gear about it but are the 'Powers' the engine and the Pre's the pedals and steering wheel?

JJ Cale - Anthology

When I posted a similar question on here a while ago the answer I got was that 70% of the sound attributes come from the pre-amp.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
A good pre amp simply has to send the signal to the power amps as cleanly as possible. The more distorted the signal the poorer the quality

Generally speaking with pre amps ~ you do get what you pay for

A

Anonymous

To quote Quad I think...'A straight wire with gain'. Thats all a pre has to be. OK so you may need the facility of connecting more than one source but thats it. Now...the original quote isnt as relevant as it once was because most components have enough output power to drive power amps to deafening levels when connected directly these days so now we can mostly discount the gain element. So you have the choice of Passive or Active. A passive is simply a volume control and source selector (sometimes with transformers added) connected between source and power.....no active circuit so no change to the original source.........Actives however do contain electronics and try as you may....any active circuit WILL change the source signal.....it may change for the better or worse....only you can decide.

What makes me laugh though is a good passive can cost as much as a good active.....but open the box and see what you get for the money. That aside...my money is on a passive.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
In the prefect world, pre should be just a volume control of signal coming from source straight into power amp. However, like most of other hifi components, most Pre are cater for Individual consumers's taste.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:How are those Quads coming on Ray?

Luv em......but not getting the best out of them yet..........need speakers........need speakers........need speakers........need speakers.........made a few posts but have had little back. Currently considering the Vandersteen 1c....looks like they may be just what I am looking for. Also looking at Proacs but the Vandersteens are in the lead at the mo. I can get a demo of them if I travel 100 miles but currently undergoing hospital treatment so thats not going to happen any day soon. You know what....if i get a favourable review on here I may just buy blind (or deaf).......

T

the record spot

I was in Loud and Clear in Edinburgh the other week and the guy there showed me some new kit from one manufacturer which had a very minimalist pre-amp; all the inputs went through the matching power amp. Pretty high end, can't recall the manufacturer, but may have been either Moon or Bryston.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts