What is your opinion on mains upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys since what hi fi has spoken quite highly of mains upgrading improving the sound and isolated other electrical interferences, i would like to get your take on it.

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Well I just ordered a Tacima CS929 and missed the postman who had my Clearer Audio Alpha Copper Line power cable today, so I shall soon see what the fuss is about.

ÿClearer Audio offer a 30 day trial period for their products; you have the ability to send you cable/product back if you do not think it is worth the expense in your system. This is the premise on which I have decided to give the mains supply lark a try.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi I would appreciate your feedback on it when you have got it

A

Anonymous

I have two Tacima SC5688 mains on a CS929 conditioner - cheaper than Clearer Audio and sounds dandy on mine. I think it does squeeze a few per cent more detail out.

Just wait for the mains cynics to start posting - might even turn into a cable issue generally - let the games begin....
emotion-5.gif

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hiya

You can see my kit list below, I upgraded my mains to Russ Andrews Classic Power Cord on Amp Processor and CD/DVD player.

The biggest change was noticeable on the amp, it made it more open. ÿThe others were not as obvious.

I found the Silencer from Russ Andrews works very well and added a smoothness to the overall sound. ÿI have had the Silencer for a while and even on my previous set-up, Tag Mclaren 60r, Arcam 93 cd player, Castle Pembroke speakers the silencer was a noticeable upgrade. ÿI use the Silencer in a 6 way extension, that is Russ Andrews also ... should have bought on with it built in I know.
emotion-10.gif

Hope that helps.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Olli1324:
Well I just ordered a Tacima CS929 and missed the postman who had my Clearer Audio Alpha Copper Line power cable today, so I shall soon see what the fuss is about.

I would also be very interested to hear your feedback.

I had the opportunity to try a set of replacement cables for my amp and CD player recently, and I did notice quite a difference. Bass tightened up considerably, and there was a definite improvement in sound stage and "airiness".

(These were locally-made [here in South Africa] by an audiophile and system builder, and incorporate the same technology as Clearer Audio's power cables; they have received acclaim in the local Hi-Fi press as "better than any international products tried".)

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:
Hi guys since what hi fi has spoken quite highly of mains upgrading improving the sound and isolated other electrical interferences, i would like to get your take on it.

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

Conditioners might have an effect on interference if you have any but mains leads have no effect on sound quality whatsoever. 'Tis a myth perpetuated by hi-fi mags.

A

Anonymous

Hmm... That may be so, but only if the (standard) leads are positioned in such a way that their un-insulated character won't interfere with your interconnects and speaker cables...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I will have Vertex AQ to play with for a week or two, will let you know what it can do but properbly couldn't find this thread by that time!

I have try many in the past and none have impress me yet (and yes, I had Tacima that people keep on about too) but like I said before, If you haven't got a main problem you wouldn't need one of them!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The Tacima can make a difference but its variable and system dependant. Still for the money it would be silly not to get one and try. You can always use it for your pc or/and tv as surge protection if you don't like it in the system.

Generally I would put mains conditioners/power leads etc at the bottom of my list of improvements but the above is affordable enough and gives some peace of mind.

A

Anonymous

well currently the various plugs are plugged into an extension plug, would that make a difference to the sound quality do you think?

A

Anonymous

As with all hi-fi items you should audition at home and trust your ears.

My mate and I,both with cyrus systems auditioned at home an isotek G11 Vision mains conditioner independantly of each other and compared results without conferring.

He hated it in his system and thought whilst it improved clarity it robbed the bass and changed the whole balance of the sound for the worse.

However in my system (and believe me I was sceptical as I did'nt want to spend the £600) it had a general wonderful effect in improving clarity, tightening and deepening the bass and on the whole was well worth the £600 outlay....I bought one, he did'nt. It must be said though that although we both have cyrus systems the amps are configured differently(mine are bi-amped, bi-wired) whilst he has his as a pre vs2 and two x powers in mono configuration with single speaker cable runs.

The results confused us.... although we both confirmed what we heard in each others systems and agreed on the results.

The upshot of all this is to use a good dealer you trust who will lend you the equipment.... even just a mains lead (possibly with a deposit)and be happy to take it back if you cannot hear the difference.Martins hi-fi in norwich were so confident about the isotek they themselves were surprised at the effect in my mates system.

Incidently when my new isotek arrived and I brought it home I did find it required using for a few days before it sounded like the demo one I had borrowed and liked.....initially it sounded quite different.

Alan.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have all of my system hooked into the Tacimas as mentioned above and also have a Clearer Audio Copper-Line Alpha hooked to my Onkyo amp, a Russ Andrews PowerMax Plus hooked to my PS3 and a Merlin Black Widow lead hooked to my TV. All of them are available on at least a 30 day home trial (60 days for Russ Andrews and Clearer Audio) so you can try before you commit to buying. Since installing, I ran a lot of tests, and kept these three leads as I noticed less on-screen noise when watching Blu-Rays / DVDs through the PS3 and a definite improvement in sound with music through my Onkyo. I had some more expensive leads, but the difference was either negligible or not enough to warrant the price (clearly an indicator of the limits in my system rather than the leads themselves) so these were sent back for a refund.
Is it worth the money? Obviously, yes for me, but only you can decide that for yourself, that's why they offer the no risk home trials.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

What is your set up? I think if you spend a lot of money on your stuff, a few half decent cables are if anything, setting your mind at rest, that you have not scrimped at the last minute. I currently have Clearer Audio Copper, Russ Andrews Powermax and Merlin Tarantuala cables going into a Tacima CS929 block. I've not tested and retested to see if I could hear differences but I'm happy with the sound I'm getting. Ironically, the only mains cable that I haven't upgraded is the one from my LCD that is channeled into the wall and comes out at the bottom of the wall, out of sight. To change it now would mean a re-plaster job. The reason it's ironic is that I get a buzzing noise from the LCD. The picture is fantastic but if the sound is down or muted, it's an annoying bzzzz that comes from behind the screen. It would be interesting to find out if a different cable would change the situation....

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:
The reason it's ironic is that I get a buzzing noise from the LCD. The picture is fantastic but if the sound is down or muted, it's an annoying bzzzz that comes from behind the screen. It would be interesting to find out if a different cable would change the situation....

If it's loud enough to be annoying and under guarantee it might be worth complaining about. Changing the mains lead won't fix it.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:

well currently the various plugs are plugged into an extension plug, would that make a difference to the sound quality do you think?

No, that's fine.

A

Anonymous

My local retailer doent sell upgraded mains leads say their a waste of money, His recomendation where possible is to get an sparky in have a dedicated mains spur installed supposed better value for money in his opinion anyway

A

Anonymous

Over the years I have found the following helpful.

The thing to grasp about mains supply is its a carrier of pollution from various sources which need to be isolated from signal paths.
Separate PSX units is a great example of improved clarity one gets when the transformer/power is isolated from the pre amp.
The improvements on mains conditioning will be of less effect on this type of layout. (the law of diminishing returns)
However when it is all contained in the one unit making the supply feed as clean as practical will cut down the damaging interaction between the mains and signal circuits.

Buying a Tacima block and plugging into that is very cost effective, also buying a multi plug (maplins) you can 'star earth' 3 items of low amperage equipment into it. Also think about the running order of plugs down the block, try putting the highest load 1st followed by the rest. Or the TV 1st followed by the amp. Where things are plugged in on the line has an effect as well.

When everything is optimised you will enjoy listening to your system, not the mains!

A

Anonymous

I feel i ought to add i have a mains lead on order myself as i want to find out for myself.

A

Anonymous

garethwd:My local retailer doent sell upgraded mains leads say their a waste of money, His recomendation where possible is to get an sparky in have a dedicated mains spur installed supposed better value for money in his opinion anyway

A dedicated mains spur using high amp sheilded cable makes a big difference as well as it isolates from the house ring main. However a lot of noise comes from outside the home down the line from the sub station!

If you have ever thought your music sounded sweeter in the early hours of the morning that's why.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

In my experience (I have the CS929) it made no noticable difference on my Creek Evolution CD and AMP, however, it's useful to have a 6 way power extension around the back where all the other electrical stuff is. Surge protection is nice also, although again I suspect it wouldn't protect against much. Think about it this way, the extra £20 makes no difference when spending £1200+ on a system?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
paulio:
Hi,

In my experience (I have the CS929) it made no noticable difference on my Creek Evolution CD and AMP, however, it's useful to have a 6 way power extension around the back where all the other electrical stuff is. Surge protection is nice also, although again I suspect it wouldn't protect against much. Think about it this way, the extra £20 makes no difference when spending £1200+ on a system?

I couldn't agree more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts