What is your best recorded standard CD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davlee said:
I just listened to a "Dali test CD". It was magic. Does anyone know where I can buy/obtain these?

Which one there are 3? Your Dali dealer may have them in stock, that if you can find one.

To be honest I would look at albums by some the artists on those test cds.

I can recommend Tears of Joy and Acousitic Revenge by Antonio Forcione.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is a very difficult question for me because there are literally hundreds of Cd's in my collection that are so well recorded that it is very hard and possibly unfair to just pick one and I don't have the time to list what would probably be more than 500 candidates :)

To be honest There are very few bad sounding Cd.s in my 2000 + collection each has it's own character for better or worse and I love them all :grin:

gasolin

Muddy Waters Folk Singer, The pink floyd The final cut. Mike Oldfield Turbular Bells 2003 is also good. Theres a record with kate Bush that's surpose to be very good (SQ) and i have heard that nike cave makes good sounding records, i also think that the simple but very good music made by simon & garfunkel is very good considering the time they where made (60's & 70's) and all this time with sting.

Wanna test your hifi system play from stevie wonders The definitive collection Fingertips (part1&2) his harmonica is everything but harmonic it's soo intrusive and agressive that you can't play this song loud unless you like your ears to bleed absolutly no comprimising of stevies harmonica or try testing your systems dynamic/bottom with Yello's On the run

Hate all the youtube videos where they test there speakers with bass i love you by basstronics

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Love, loathe, or indifferent to her, but the most beautiful recordings I have are by Katie Melua – I can literally hear her breathe, whatever she’s been played through.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Carmignola -The Four Seasons

Supertramp - Retrospectacle

Neville Marriner - Amadeus Movie Soundtrack

The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card

Bric Bibb - Booker's Guitar

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Ah someone else finally picks artists I've actually heard of lol. (Though I have heard of Katie Melua recomended by Sizzers)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:

Ah someone else finally picks artists I've actually heard of lol. (Though I have heard of Katie Melua recomended by Sizzers)

That last one's supposed to be Eric Bibb BTW. :doh: :grin:

T

the record spot

Several, but of late, just about anything by the Dead Can Dance is worth hearing. Magnificent recording / production quality.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
You must try and hear Lindsey Buckingham's solo album "Out Of The Cradle" a superb demonstration of how to record electric and acoustic guitars - the songs are ace too!

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
EAGLES - Hell Freezes Over (CD is good, the XRCD is great)

JOHN MELLENCAMP - Words & Music: Greatest Hits

STRYPER - Recovering

ANTHRAX - Anthem

davlee said:
As I have only just set up a great sounding Hi-Fi, I am keen to know what well recorded CDs to purchase. So far my favorite is Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin

Hi davelee

Beyond Skin and the track Nadia is one of my favourites. Other albums include The Silver Tree (Lisa Gerrard), Modern Cool (Patricia Barber) and the track Aye Dil E Nadan (superbly sung by Lata Mangeshkar).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
Several, but of late, just about anything by the Dead Can Dance is worth hearing. Magnificent recording / production quality.

Apart from their last one for sound quality, otherwise I would agree, same for Lisa Gerrard who I mention above.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
davlee said:
As I have only just set up a great sounding Hi-Fi, I am keen to know what well recorded CDs to purchase. So far my favorite is Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin

Hi davelee

Beyond Skin and the track Nadia is one of my favourites. Other albums include The Silver Tree (Lisa Gerrard), Modern Cool (Patricia Barber) and the track Aye Dil E Nadan (superbly sung by Lata Mangeshkar).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Some good choices. Although as an album I prefer Cafe Blue to Modern Cool but think that would be a good demo disc.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
My favourites:

- Any Dire Straits albums. Wonderfully produced. Private investigations is a nigh impossible track to get "right", so it's used as my main demo for new equipment

- Seal: Seal aka Seal II

- Damien Rice: O - On a good system the production value and levels of intimacy are breaktaking

- Michael Buble: Self titled album and also "It's Time". Excellent big band stuff in the days before he became a smug t**t

- Pink Floyd: The Wall

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
GMK said:
My favourites:

- Any Dire Straits albums. Wonderfully produced. Private investigations is a nigh impossible track to get "right", so it's used as my main demo for new equipment

- Damien Rice: O - On a good system the production value and levels of intimacy are breaktaking

- Michael Buble: Self titled album and also "It's Time". Excellent big band stuff in the days before he became a smug t**t

Agree with the DS part. Damien Rice O is pretty compressed and on some systems the bass is boomy.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
GMK said:
My favourites:

Agree with the DS part. Damien Rice O is pretty compressed and on some systems the bass is boomy.

Depends which pressing you get, some of the remasters are more compressed - http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=love+over+gold

I try to get original 80's CDs when I can; they are usually better recorded and mostly cheaper although some of the early Dire Straits CD's can fetch quite a bit.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
With digital recordings like Brothers In Arms it's probably best to hunt down an original 80s CD in good condition. With CDs cut from analogue tapes the decision is less clear-cut, and paradoxically frustrating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts