Question What Is This Box?

DreadPirateRoberts

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, completely new here.

This was my fathers and I have absolutely no clue what this box is/for. There is no name listed or shown so may of been custom made.

Can anyone shed some light on what it is?

Name / Use would be extremely helpful as it will be for sale.

Thank you everyone - likewise I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section.

Thanks! :)

IMG_3334.JPG
IMG_3333.JPGIMG_3332.JPG

I don’t know. But we might be able to get warm.

Is the switch just two positions ? On and off or A and B, for example. The 8 sockets look like speaker connectors. If so, then “possibly” it switches between two pairs of speakers. But then it wouldn’t have two sets of inputs, just two outputs with one pair of inputs..

The single socket might be for a power input, or a signal. If power, then the switch might be on and off.

Was it connected at all? What was the rest of the kit? Were there speakers in a second room, for example?

Gray

If you've got the appropriate Allen key, perhaps you could remove the front or back panel (don't do both).
With either removed the top and bottom covers will slide out.

A nice clear, full-frame picture of the innards (from the top and bottom) will be educational 👍

Last edited:

daveh75

I don’t know. But we might be able to get warm.

Is the switch just two positions ? On and off or A and B, for example. The 8 sockets look like speaker connectors. If so, then “possibly” it switches between two pairs of speakers. But then it wouldn’t have two sets of inputs, just two outputs with one pair of inputs..

The single socket might be for a power input, or a signal. If power, then the switch might be on and off.

Was it connected at all? What was the rest of the kit? Were there speakers in a second room, for example?

I don't think so, given the speaker connections are marked in and out.

Looks more like it takes the hi-level signal and converts it to me

To what and what for who knows?

abacus

It could be a Neutrik XLR Connector for connecting to a high level input of a subwoofer, with the switch turning the subwoofer either On/Off or giving a choice of 2 crossover frequencies.
If there is no label anywhere you will need to open it up to be sure.

Bill

Reactions: nopiano

Gray

Never mind the box, can anyone explain its current owner?
He's taken the trouble to register for this forum, post photos and ask his question.
That was last Friday.....

Let's start with the assumption that he's still alive.
Anyone got a theory as to why he hasn't said another word?

Gray

Hi guys!

Thank you all for your replies & help!

Sorry for my late response - I will open it up and attach photos of the insides tomorrow - it was my husbands - I know he used pre amps & had multiple speaker/subwoofer set-ups.

Thank you all for your input & once again sorry for my delayed response, I'm extremely thankful for you all. :)
Sorry to have doubted your return.
But we do get those who ignore us ( probably with good reason 😁)

...and sorry for referring to you as 'he'.
(Unless you are...shouldn't assume anything these days 😞)

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Here is a photo of the inside. :)
Thanks.
Well we guessed, but can now say for sure that it switches the two speaker channels labelled 'IN' to either the terminals marked 'OUT', or the 4-pole XLR socket - probably via series resistors in the black wires (if you can slide that white sleeving aside, you might see the resistors).

What it is - is a well made switchbox for a purpose specific to the builder - with no equivalents on sale anywhere.
(Others here will say if they know otherwise, or can think of its purpose).

When it comes to selling, your pictures will tell potential buyers all they need to know.
They may be able to use it as is, or perhaps modify it for their own purpose - like filling it with a small amplifier PCB, making use of some of the pre-fitted speaker terminals and front panel switch and socket.

Perhaps others can come up with a description for sale.
(It's certainly a 'customisable box with pre-fitted connectors', maybe worth £20-40 to the right buyer 👍).

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

DreadPirateRoberts

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks.
Well we guessed, but can now say for sure that it switches the two speaker channels labelled 'IN' to either the terminals marked 'OUT', or the 4-pole XLR socket - probably via series resistors in the black wires (if you can slide that white sleeving aside, you might see the resistors).

What it is - is a well made switchbox for a purpose specific to the builder - with no equivalents on sale anywhere.
(Others here will say if they know otherwise, or can think of its purpose).

When it comes to selling, your pictures will tell potential buyers all they need to know.
They may be able to use it as is, or perhaps modify it for their own purpose - like filling it with a small amplifier PCB, making use of some of the pre-fitted speaker terminals and front panel switch and socket.

Perhaps others can come up with a description for sale.
(It's certainly a 'customisable box with pre-fitted connectors', maybe worth £20-40 to the right buyer 👍).
Thank you ever so much for your response and all the information provided.

I certainly will - thank you also for the price guide.

I hope you have a lovely day & thank you everyone! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts