What is the weakest link in my Cyrus system?

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
This January I bought a Cyrus CD8X with a Prevs2, two Power 6s and Spendor S5e speakers in mahogany. I also upgraded my venerable LP12 TT and connected it by a Rega Fono MM. Interconnects are Cyrus and the speaker cable is Nordost Super Flat bi-wire chosen partly because it lies flat under the carpet. Later I added two Psxs bought in a sale.

I'm happy with the sound - I play jazz and classical vinyl and cds. But what I'm wondering is whether I should have increased my budget and bought Power 8s, and would I notice the difference? Or should I upgrade the CD8X to a CD8SE? The problem is - where does upgrading end?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd probably go for the power amp upgrades as giving the most obvious improvement - you can always have the player upgraded at a later date, I believe.

But I'd suggest some extensive listening at a Cyrus retailer to find out whether you think the improvements you'll achieve are worth the extra expenditure.

And to answer your last question - it doesn't!
emotion-1.gif

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I think that I will stick to just upgrading the Power 6s but sleep on it for now. The dealer who sold me the equipment is over 100 miles away so a demo of Power 8s with the rest of my equipment is not easily arranged.

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd skip the 8's and have listen to the X power if you can. Also check out the cyrusunofficial.co.uk forum, plenty of Cyrus experience there.

A

Anonymous

IanS1:Personally I'd skip the 8's and have listen to the X power if you can. Also check out the cyrusunofficial.co.uk forum, plenty of Cyrus experience there.
Definitely. This would make it a worthy upgrade step for the outlay, time, logistics, etc.

A

Anonymous

These guys are spot on imo. The 6 powers dont carry a huge punch (relative to the rest of the Cyrus line), you also cannot run them in Mono, unlike the rest of the range.

Go the whole hog and listen to the mono x's, you'll love them with those Spendor's

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I said that I would sleep on it. You guys are giving me nightmares.

When I bought the hifi I reined in my expenditure and settled for the 6 Powers. Perhaps I should have been braver although I exceeded my budget with the LP12 mods. X Powers are certainly tempting. With mono xs would I then be wondering about other parts being the weakest link?

Incidentally, I have tried to register on the Cyrusunofficial forum but get the message that my browser is incompatible.

A

Anonymous

Miker:Incidentally, I have tried to register on the Cyrusunofficial forum but get the message that my browser is incompatible.

Which browser are you using?

A

Anonymous

I'm using IE7 on XP without any problems. Perhaps Vistas security is causing a problem.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I've tried playing around with the Vista security settings but with no luck. Out of interest, I tried to register on my son's laptop which has IE6 under XP but still no luck. The only common denominator is the ISP which is Tiscali.

Michael

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. What i did was to change the browser to firefox to log on. Once logged on (click remember me). I could use it in full via windows explorer. Try firefox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts