What is the point of a streamer?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
paradiziac said:
Relax everyone!

Nobody's saying Macs are the absolute best or only solution, just that they work pretty well and overcome most people's objections to a computer in the living room. If like me, you need computers for other things anyway, it's well worth considering before you drop a comparable amount of money on a streamer.

+1

+2

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
paradiziac said:
If like me, you need computers for other things anyway, it's well worth considering before you drop a comparable amount of money on a streamer.

Now there's bad argument if ever I saw one, my streamer (ZP90) cost less than half what my laptop did.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm also highly skilled at selective quoting ;)

How I wish that more people would be like MajorFurbar and quote selectively on these forums, instead of quoting a whole (sometimes quite lengthy) post when they want to address only one wee point within it, not the whole post! Selective quoting really is not hard to do, even I learned how to do it, with no help!! And just think of the space on a forum page that selective quoting would save ...... We could get more posts on to a page!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
paradiziac said:
If like me, you need computers for other things anyway, it's well worth considering before you drop a comparable amount of money on a streamer.

Now there's bad argument if ever I saw one, my streamer (ZP90) cost less than half what my laptop did.

True, but a more reasonable argument is 'if you need a computer for other things anyway, it's worth considering whether you need to pay the extra expense for a streamer'. Worth considering, but there aren't many people who don't use a computer for other things and for many of those a streamer will still make sense. Clodagh and I have a laptop each and 2 ZP90s in the house.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
MajorFubar said:
I'm also highly skilled at selective quoting ;)

How I wish that more people would be like MajorFurbar and quote selectively on these forums, instead of quoting a whole (sometimes quite lengthy) post when they want to address only one wee point within it, not the whole post! Selective quoting really is not hard to do, even I learned how to do it, with no help!! And just think of the space on a forum page that selective quoting would save ...... We could get more posts on to a page!

True if on a computer, but editing is a PITA on a phone. And my understanding was there's a set number of posts per page (15) whatever their length.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
And just think of the space on a forum page that selective quoting would save ...... We could get more posts on to a page!

look! I'm selective with my quoting!

but you're not too perceptive obviously because after your 3 years of being a member on the forum you failed to notice that regardless of posts length there'll always be 15 on the page.

;)

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I used to do everything with my HTPC (games, movies, music). When I want to listen to music, I don't want to wait 30s for Windows to boot up, then another 20s for ITunes to launch.. A streamer just made a lot of sense to me. Also saves on electricity bills not to have my computer and tv switched on.. :read:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigmoose said:
I used to do everything with my HTPC (games, movies, music). When I want to listen to music, I don't want to wait 30s for Windows to boot up, then another 20s for ITunes to launch.. A streamer just made a lot of sense to me. Also saves on electricity bills not to have my computer and tv switched on.. :read:

Chicken! :grin:

What happened to the cheesy music in the bedroom.....somebody looking over your shoulder, and you know what's good for you! >)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
And my understanding was there's a set number of posts per page (15) whatever their length.

That I had not previously noticed.

oldric_naubhoff said:
but you're not too perceptive obviously because after your 3 years of being a member on the forum you failed to notice that regardless of posts length there'll always be 15 on the page.

;)

As immediately above, which is partly my point! If folk didn't quote wholly rather than selectively then we COULD get more than 15 on a page!

Still, I don't mind being rebuked for my lack of perceptiveness by someone (unlike many) who DOES know the difference between "you're" (as in "but you're not too perceptive" and "your" as in "after your 3 years of being a member".

But enough already of hijacking this streamer thread. You'll have noticed that I have said nothing about streamers - that is because I know less than nothing about them. Over to those people who do know about streamers!

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ha ha... Can't believe you saw my post before I could "correct" it!

But yeah, having a streamer in different rooms to listen to different music makes a lot of sense if you don't want to spend your whole afternoon listening to Roxette with your partner. I DO enjoy spending time with my partner, but music tastes are different..

Here, I said it Cno! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Ha ha... Can't believe you saw my post before I could "correct" it!

But yeah, having a streamer in different rooms to listen to different music makes a lot of sense if you don't want to spend your whole afternoon listening to Roxette with your partner. I DO enjoy spending time with my partner, but music tastes are different..

Here, I said it Cno! :)

Personally, I preferred your first post, as not only is it true, but is probably the biggest advantage. It doesn't take long for a diet of Donny Osmond, Westlife, Ronan Keating, Brendan Shine and The Indians, to prove this very convincingly!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok so 10 pages in, have we answered the OP's question?

Seems that some people prefer a streamer for a number of genuine reasons plus a number of perceived advantages, some of which are probably a bit dubious/subjective.

Then it seems that some people prefer a computer for a number of genuine reasons plus a number of perceived advantages, some of which are probably a bit dubious/subjective.

Clear as mud? :?

Seems to me that the real answer is stick with whatever works for you best!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ok so 10 pages in, have we answered the OP's question?

Seems that some people prefer a streamer for a number of genuine reasons plus a number of perceived advantages, some of which are probably a bit dubious/subjective.

Then it seems that some people prefer a computer for a number of genuine reasons plus a number of perceived advantages, some of which are probably a bit dubious/subjective.

Clear as mud? :?

Seems to me that the real answer is stick with whatever works for you best!

The people who own them, prefer them.......simples! :roll:

(and they just happen to be right!) :shifty:

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If you are using a streamer to simply transport digital music files from source to amplifier (digital in, digital out) do they all perform the same in that sense? I assume that is the basic task most streamers are used for.

nads

byakuya83 said:
If you are using a streamer to simply transport digital music files from source to amplifier (digital in, digital out) do they all perform the same in that sense? I assume that is the basic task most streamers are used for.
and here is the rub. as most amps do not have digital inputs (HiFi amps) but yes the digital handling has to be the same. and then you have the DAC this is where the greatest diferences can be made. this may be the internal DACs or an external one used with it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

Streamers are a great way to listen to your digital music files because they don't take 30 seconds to boot up before you can listen to them and they don't have any noisy fans in them. On the down side you can't use them to post comments on hifi forums while listening to music.

nads

steve_1979 said:
chebby said:

Streamers are a great way to listen to your digital music files because they don't take 30 seconds to boot up before you can listen to them and they don't have any noisy fans in them. On the down side you can't use them to post comments on hifi forums while listening to music.
that is what the tablet is for.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
byakuya83 said:

Do you mean from a sound or functionality point of view? Some streamers support gapless play, synchronised multi-room, etc.

From a sound quality PoV, manufacturers are charging lots of money for players that are technically better, e.g., the noise floor on the digital output from a SBT and a Linn Klimax is -130db & -142db respectively. I don't believe the difference is audible, but I guess Linn Klimax owners do.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nads said:
steve_1979 said:
chebby said:

that is what the tablet is for.

No, the tablet's to calm you down after a week of reading threads like this one...

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
WinterRacer - I was thinking from a sound quality perspective. Otherwise, I imagine functionality and things such as user interface are the main differentiator.

I understand some streamers include a DAC and amp but purely comparing the streaming aspect, I assume the sound quality is unaffected in the scenario I described.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Different streamers use different protocols, but on the whole, that part of it does not differentiate them. If you want get at that data, you'll need to use their digital output (Pre DAC) or analogue (post DAC). From what can be measured, the digital output does differentiate them, but I'd argue the differences won't result in any audible artefacts once that digital stream has gone through a DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts