what is the most realistic sounding floorstander sub £1500

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
i love listening to acoustic music and i want speakers that sound like the instruments and, especially, the vocals are being performed live, in my room, so the hairs on my neck stand up. is this achievable for my budget of £1500? if so, what speakers are they?

they will be partnered with cyrus cd6se and their 8vs2 amp. the room is 5 x 5.

many thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Wharfedale E70s...

For post-120db stadium rock anyway...or a bit of Chic La Freak!

If pre-120db music is your think however, I would look at the ProAc Studio 140.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Spendor S6e are good if you have the room and power. They're normally £1600 but can be found for less than £1200. Rega R7 worth a look. New PMC FB1i are a snitch over but very good indeed. Personally I'd hold fire as I think Spendor will be introducing a new floorstander or two before the year is out...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Spendor S6e are good if you have the room and power. They're normally £1600 but can be found for less than £1200. Rega R7 worth a look. New PMC FB1i are a snitch over but very good indeed. Personally I'd hold fire as I think Spendor will be introducing a new floorstander or two before the year is out...

Standmounts do realism too (are you on a good commission at Spendor, igglebert? lol). A lot depends on source, amplification and room acoustics. You put together some budget components partnered with hi-end speakers and would not necessarily get the realism you would expect.

A

Anonymous

gpi:(are you on a good commission at Spendor, igglebert? lol).
Let's just say that I'm a big Spendor fan; a company that's never ceased to capture my interest. PMC are a close second. I'm avoiding Harbeth as I know I'll love their products and can't afford them (or tolerate their looks). There's three UK firms that have extraordinary knowledge and skill between them :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
IMO, Neat.

PMC and Spendor are great if you like HIFI sound and want to hear what are in the mix. They are more or less an analyse tools which somehow left me a bit cold (sorry guys but you may dislike my gears, it's just a matter of opinions)

For a live like preformance NEAT are top of the tree. I would try to get a good discount on the older MF range, you should be able to get NEAT MFS for around the budget (rrp about £3400)...a life time investment. good luck

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You can do a lot worse than Dalis for voice. Mellow with a capital M, in the best way of course ie close your eyes and you're there.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hmm..., very interesting thread. I've been looking around for upgrade to my Monitor Audio Silver S8's and research has led me in the direction of second hand Spendor, PMC, and maybe Totem. Was just wondering what you all think of the smaller Spendor S5e and PMC GB1 for smaller space instead of the Spendor S6e and PMC FB1i for use in the smallish 4 by 5 meters room. I hope that I'm not hijacking this thread with my first post but I found it curious that the names I've been leaning towards seem to be mentioned here.

P.S.: Been lurking here for a while and just want to say a general thank you to members here for the wealth of information I've been able to get here. Thank you and cheers...

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Maybe you can try the new Dynaudio Excite X32. I heard these last weekend and they were awesome. A realistic, musical sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
S/h quad electrostatics but there are lots of good speakers. You have to find one that matches your room and system. As someone mentioned before dont exclude a quality standmount and sub. I'd say you find your solace in good valve amplification many of which excel in what you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

Totem Model 1 Sig... although it might be a wee bit over the price threshold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts