What is the electricity cost/month of NAS

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I am still working on the NAS project for my network. I have almost 99% setted on Synology DS112J.

Now I have a question which I believe it is probably very difficult to answer but maybe someone can give an estimation. While reading some reviews in particular of Synology DS112J, the reviewer was justifying the investment on a NAS over paying cloudspace solutions like dropbox. However, I do not think that he was taking into account the price of the energy at home. How much could it be? Is it really that low that this is the reason why he thought it was irrelevant.

For some reason I am also having the feeling that NAS is the past whereas actually cloudspace and streaming services are the future.... this is for another debate.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Not huge, my NAS is about 11W I think.

Trouble with cloud services is they count towards your broadband cap, if you have one and unless you're on fast fibre or cable connections you may not have the bandwidth for lossless streaming, should these things matter to you.

The Cloud is almost certainly the future, just not yet, not in the UK at any rate.

Paul.

I don't know if the DS112J has wake on lan or any kind of scheduled power down?

If it operates at 12w, then that will work out as roughly 0.3kw hour per day assuming no wake on lan or scheduled power down. Average electricity price is around 13p per kilowatt hour, you are looking at £14 per year.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Not huge, my NAS is about 11W I think.

Trouble with cloud services is they count towards your broadband cap, if you have one and unless you're on fast fibre or cable connections you may not have the bandwidth for lossless streaming, should these things matter to you.

The Cloud is almost certainly the future, just not yet, not in the UK at any rate.
Indeed. I hate to think how long it would take to back up all the data I have on my NAS to the cloud.Also, the idea I could not play any music if my broadband went down does not appeal.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Paul. said:
I don't know if the DS112J has wake on lan or any kind of scheduled power down?

Yes it has both. Easiest method I've found is just to have a schedule which powers the device off at 1am and powers it back on at 6am (though obviously it depends on your schedule - since I use the CloudStation facility to access documents when I'm out and about, I like to sure it's going to be available most of the time).

rendu said:
For some reason I am also having the feeling that NAS is the past whereas actually cloudspace and streaming services are the future.... this is for another debate.....

One of the marvellous things about the Synology (and most NAS devices today) is they offer the ability to set up your own private cloud using them. I have mine setup now so that I can access all my music, movies, photos + crucial personal and work documents across the internet using the Synology built in apps to allow this. So I can listen to any of my music wherever I've got decent wireless / 3G signal, or even watch a TV programme / film (assuming the signal is good enough) through the Plex app. And with my documents available, I don't have to carry around USB disks with vast amounts of data on them any more, just in case. Now if I need something from my archive, I simply open a web browser / the DS File app on my iPhone and the document is right there for me.

And all your data is safe sitting on your NAS, not on an unknown server sitting in god know's what country.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, some very good points made in favor of NAS. If cost is really around 15 pound per year then, it should be no issue at all. Also like some have mentioned this NAS has hibernation and WOL as well as scheduling options. If cost is around 15 pound in normal operating mode I do not even think that it is worth it to configure some of this energy saving options.

Regarding curent options, I also do not think that there is a complete solution out there that could replace a NAS right now. In future we may see more products comming up from suppliers which may offer more complete solutions. Habits are definetly changing already in some areas like music where you can have all your music in the cloud and listen to it in your mobile phones, etc. For most users non IT literate, these solutions will probably be easier than installing and maintaing a NAS. Future will tell....

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
rendu said:
I have almost 99% settled on Synology DS112J.

Your power question has already been answered and I know you've also been given the following advice before but I'll just reiterate... get a two bay Synology NAS! They are so good you'll love it. I have the 212J with one WD Red 2TB disk at the mo and will add another later, probably as RAID back up but it could also extend the storage... at least I know it'll do me for many years to come.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I really appreaciate all advises and if it was not for this forum, I would have probably ended up with one of the bad cheapest models. So I am going for synology based on the recommendations but I can only streach to the budget model which is already 100 Eur above my original budget. My current libraries (photos, music and movies) are only 200 GB at this moment so I can do back up in my PC. If it grows much bigger then, I will consider an external hardrive in future for backup via USB port to the 112J.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts