what is the best tv money can buy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
maxflinn:whats worrying is why its still the best , its been around a while now ..

Seriously, the TV industry has taken a big step backward in terms of improving the technology with the demise of the Kuro. We're talking about other TVs matching Kuro's performance in the next 1 or 2 years..............If Pioneer still made TVs, imagine what the 10th & 11th generation Kuros would be like!!

Before they shut down, they were working on an incredibly thin plasma TV with deeper blacks than the 9th generation Kuro!

the_lhc, what exactly does your avatar show? Looks like a very angry man
emotion-12.gif

Is it a painting?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:the_lhc:And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from? They probably looked good because they've been set up properly, unlike most cheaper retailers who don't bother

That's exactly my point! B&O pays attention to detail. Their engineering is solid.

I'm not talking about engineering, I'm talking about just having the TV set to decent picture settings, rather than "LOOK AT ME" dynamic settings.

They're not built to a budget, so they don't overlook little things. You get a high quality product. Not the best TV around PQ wise, but certainly one of the best built TVs.

Whoa, hang on Mr U-Turn!
emotion-2.gif
We've all been talking about picture quality, you even said you were stunned by the pictures, we're not talking about the best built TV, just the one that gives the best picture (Which is why things like electrostatic speakers are an irrelevance.).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
IMO the top three screens right now - excluding the Pioneer - would be the Sharp 65XS1, the Panasonic 54Z1 and the Sony 55X4500 in that order.

The B&O and Loewe screens do not compare in my experience but things may have changed in the last 6 months or so.

And you don't stock B&O or Loewe, eh Nick? ;)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:bigboss:brettweir:so money talks. i dunno, with b&o and leowe your paying for the name and design. reviews don't set the world alight. your paying for the prestige not necessarily the picture. maybe kuro's were the best

Even I used to think that way until a couple of months ago when I went to Selfridges (where else?) to look at Loewe & B&O. I was stunned......the pictures were beautiful, pin sharp & the colours were glorious. Every component that goes into making these TVs are of a very high standard,

And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from? They probably looked good because they've been set up properly, unlike most cheaper retailers who don't bother

& these TVs are built to last. Coupled with industry leading customer service, they have built a very strong reputation. Ofcourse, you pay a premium for a premium product. Think of it as a Rolex or an Omega, & the other mainstream brands like a Casio & Timex........you get the picture, right?

Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

That is ridiculous. I wear a Breitling, which like Rolex, HAVE to adhere to very strict timekeeping checks from Switzerland. Whichever dealer said that either does not stock "proper" watches or was having a laugh.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:the_lhc:And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from?
Samsung in the case of the LCDs, Panasonic for the plasmas.

Exactly, so that component is, presumably, no more "high quality" than the best panels that Samsung and Panasonic put in their own screens?

And where (or rather from whom) does the company get all its picture-processing technology?

It doesn't: it develops it in house, as well as building all the other components, major and minor, machining and anodising all that metal, offering unparalleled aftersales service...

Aftersales service and anodised metal don't make the picture quality any better, I'll give you the in house development of the picture processing but then I was rather under the impression that that's what the likes of Sony do and Pioneer did?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:the_lhc: Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

That is ridiculous. I wear a Breitling, which like Rolex, HAVE to adhere to very strict timekeeping checks from Switzerland. Whichever dealer said that either does not stock "proper" watches or was having a laugh.

Quite possibly, I'm just repeating third-hand information from an unreliable source as if it's fact, like most people round here seem to do...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

Gerrardasnails:the_lhc: Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

Quite possibly, I'm just repeating third-hand information from an unreliable source as if it's fact, like most people round here seem to do...

Then you should aspire to more.

Did this fake rolex have a rolex movement in then? He really should have known his stuff i gess, but whatever.

Oh and "Heh heh. Yeah, Beavis, that was, like, cool heh heh..."

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
al7478:the_lhc:Gerrardasnails:the_lhc: Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

I was humourously making the point that I could only repeat what my missus told me (and I have no reason to doubt her). I would say though that we've had numerous problems with her Rolex (which is a real one incidentally) over the years, I had it sent away to be serviced (by Rolex) earlier this year, at no little cost (which I wish I'd spent on some speakers to be honest!), it came back 12 WEEKS later and three weeks later it stopped again and had to be sent back, for another 5 weeks, for whatever it was they forgot to do the first time.

Oh and "Heh heh. Yeah, Beavis, that was, like, cool heh heh..."

It was cool, I made that head myself, it's lifesize and to scale (which means it's actually much bigger than lifesize).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Aftersales service and anodised metal don't make the picture quality any better, I'll give you the in house development of the picture processing but then I was rather under the impression that that's what the likes of Sony do and Pioneer did?

The OP asked 'what is the best tv money can buy', not 'which TV has the best picture money can buy'...

D

Deleted member 2457

For me it's:

the ulimate lcd the philips ambilight vs the ultimate plasma the pioneer kuro.

and the winner is down to personal taste.

Only home testing for a week could you pick out your personal favourite.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
the_lhc:Aftersales service and anodised metal don't make the picture quality any better, I'll give you the in house development of the picture processing but then I was rather under the impression that that's what the likes of Sony do and Pioneer did?

The OP asked 'what is the best tv money can buy', not 'which TV has the best picture money can buy'...

is it not the same thing ??

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:al7478:the_lhc:Gerrardasnails:the_lhc: Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

I was humourously making the point...

Yes, thanks for spelling that out for me.

That watch has gone from fake to real in not time.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that's just the most expensive. Allegedly.

And even that's only the most expensive LCD - the 103in B&O plasma is even pricier. No diamonds, though...

A

Anonymous

well after all of your answers (to date) I am actually going to conclude that the best tv that money can currently buy is ( would have been a kuro but they is dead) a Philips P9664 tv. a b&o and leowe are seriously good tv's but

EDITED BY MODS for inappropriate language

, so my conclusion is that actually the philips is the winner. not by the cost directly but by what you should, would have to pay to in return get a clearly outstanding tv.(hope that makes sense)

p.s. it was my question so that makes it my final decision ha ha

the_lhc:
Whoa, hang on Mr U-Turn!
emotion-2.gif
We've all been talking about picture quality, you even said you were stunned by the pictures, we're not talking about the best built TV, just the one that gives the best picture (Which is why things like electrostatic speakers are an irrelevance.).

emotion-18.gif
I never said B&O has the best picture quality in the market....I said B&O makes the best built TVs. The picture quality is stunning nevertheless..................dynamic settings or not (the dynamic settings don't make the picture sharp, do they?). Not the best, but superb. Where's the U-turn about it? Have you seen the B&O yourself before judging it?

You really seem to be a very angry person! Most of your posts in reply to mine has only been attacking me.

D

Deleted member 2457

Fantastic decision brettweir the philips lcd's are amazing tv's.

Tonestar1

Couple of point since I seem to have missed a fair bit on this thread since last night.

Loewe having electrostatic speakers is an "irrelevance"

How can the quality of the speakers be irrelevant? I thought we were discussing tvs not monitors? Do you listen to the news in 5.1 so the war coverage really gets the woofer going?

Also I've noticed no one has openly said if they could choose any tv for free they would choose a phillips or a pioneer over a B&O or Loewe.

As for the ridiculous celebrity endorsements of the Kuro Id say my granny was the worlds best pole vaulter if I was getting a 4k tv and getting assorted top end accessories for free. I think whoever posted that is being a little naive. Also what do the majority of these people actually know about tv's. what make their opinion any more valid than any of ours, because they are rich and can afford whatever tv they like?

A

Anonymous

I have a Pioneer Kuro and I've watched B&O TVs, a friend of mine has one. I wouldn't spend 9k pounds in a tv set, but I have to say it has a great picture quality and it has really nice gimmicks, like tv info on the frame. It's really nice. Not sure if it is better than the Kuro because I didn't compare them side by side. The problem here is that no one does reviews of these premium tvs like B&O and Loewe. They should be included in reviews at What HiFi :)

What about if a 9 grand tv was only £4,000? Would you guys buy it because of picture quality alone? Or would you go for a Kuro which doesn't have the style of B&O and is half the price?

I already have mine, and I must say I am extremelly happy. Too bad it doesn't have the new 3D technology. I'm almost sure that in 2010 we will see some panels beating Kuro's performance. Not sure why they haven't already to be honest. Maybe it's not worth it. That's why Pioneer gave up as well. Not £?$worth$?£ it :p Too expensive for most consumers to buy.

Just my opinion :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts