what is the best tv money can buy

A

Anonymous

priciest doesn't mean best. ignoring any cost, what is the best tv out there for picture quality

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Pioneer Kuro. These guys still have some. They are well respected dealers and installers and do a lot of work with studios etc. so know their stuff. They always recommend the Kuros.

Tonestar1

In a money no object comparison a Pioneer (brilliant tv imo) just doesn't compare to a top end loewe or B&O. They just aint in the same league. It's not just about design, it's the quality of the components, picture, features and sound are all streets ahead. Thats why they cost 3-8 times the price not just because they look nice.

A

Anonymous

so money talks. i dunno, with b&o and leowe your paying for the name and design. reviews don't set the world alight. your paying for the prestige not necessarily the picture. maybe kuro's were the best

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
IMO the top three screens right now - excluding the Pioneer - would be the Sharp 65XS1, the Panasonic 54Z1 and the Sony 55X4500 in that order.

The B&O and Loewe screens do not compare in my experience but things may have changed in the last 6 months or so.

Tonestar1

I agree you are paying a certain amount for the prestige but you are paying for quality also. I don't really think it's fair to quote reviews on this type of product as reviews are always on a best buy per pound basis. Obviously a 15k B&O tv isn't going to be 7 times as good as a pioneer so its never going to win in a review.

As an example the Loewe reference series uses electrostatic speakers. The likes of pioneer or panasonic are building to a price point and just cant afford to put quality components like that into their tvs. So the mainstream brands will be offer far better value and may come close but I don't think they will ever beat a company whose only ethos is to produce the best quality product as possible then set a price after they make it. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy one lol.

Tonestar1

v1c:Quite simply at this moment in time for sale to the general public the Pioneer Kuro KRP's are the best money no object set you can buy in the world. This is why they are the legend that they are and that anyone who can part with less than 2.5k/3.5K can have what is regarded as the "BEST TV SET IN THE WORLD" as specified by experts who give their opinions. Loewe and B&O are upmarket sets at premium prices if they were in a boxing ring fight with the pioneer pound for pound the pioneer would win hands down by a knockout. I've not seen one better than the Kuro yet maybe one day but not right now.

That was exactly my point, the OP stated price no object. I've no doubt a pio would win in a pound for pound fight. I think I'm being slightly misconstrued here. Put it this way, if you could chose any tv to have in your front room, as a gift, no selling etc would you chose a pioneer 5090 or a B&O/Loewe reference?

To my mind it's like comparing a Linn CD12 to a cyrus SE.

Tonestar1:

I agree you are paying a certain amount for the prestige but you are paying for quality also. I don't really think it's fair to quote reviews on this type of product as reviews are always on a best buy per pound basis. Obviously a 15k B&O tv isn't going to be 7 times as good as a pioneer so its never going to win in a review.

As an example the Loewe reference series uses electrostatic speakers. The likes of pioneer or panasonic are building to a price point and just cant afford to put quality components like that into their tvs. So the mainstream brands will be offer far better value and may come close but I don't think they will ever beat a company whose only ethos is to produce the best quality product as possible then set a price after they make it. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy one lol.

I second that.

brettweir:

so money talks. i dunno, with b&o and leowe your paying for the name and design. reviews don't set the world alight. your paying for the prestige not necessarily the picture. maybe kuro's were the best

Even I used to think that way until a couple of months ago when I went to Selfridges (where else?) to look at Loewe & B&O. I was stunned......the pictures were beautiful, pin sharp & the colours were glorious. Every component that goes into making these TVs are of a very high standard, & these TVs are built to last. Coupled with industry leading customer service, they have built a very strong reputation. Ofcourse, you pay a premium for a premium product. Think of it as a Rolex or an Omega, & the other mainstream brands like a Casio & Timex........you get the picture, right?

A

Anonymous

the kuro is like the s class , the finest car you can buy , at a price that a decent amount of people can afford , the b and o and loewes of this world are like a bristol , if your minted , and a bit leftfield , off you go ...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:brettweir:so money talks. i dunno, with b&o and leowe your paying for the name and design. reviews don't set the world alight. your paying for the prestige not necessarily the picture. maybe kuro's were the best

Even I used to think that way until a couple of months ago when I went to Selfridges (where else?) to look at Loewe & B&O. I was stunned......the pictures were beautiful, pin sharp & the colours were glorious. Every component that goes into making these TVs are of a very high standard,

And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from? They probably looked good because they've been set up properly, unlike most cheaper retailers who don't bother

& these TVs are built to last. Coupled with industry leading customer service, they have built a very strong reputation. Ofcourse, you pay a premium for a premium product. Think of it as a Rolex or an Omega, & the other mainstream brands like a Casio & Timex........you get the picture, right?

Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

the_lhc:bigboss:brettweir:so money talks. i dunno, with b&o and leowe your paying for the name and design. reviews don't set the world alight. your paying for the prestige not necessarily the picture. maybe kuro's were the best

Even I used to think that way until a couple of months ago when I went to Selfridges (where else?) to look at Loewe & B&O. I was stunned......the pictures were beautiful, pin sharp & the colours were glorious. Every component that goes into making these TVs are of a very high standard,

And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from? They probably looked good because they've been set up properly, unlike most cheaper retailers who don't bother

& these TVs are built to last. Coupled with industry leading customer service, they have built a very strong reputation. Ofcourse, you pay a premium for a premium product. Think of it as a Rolex or an Omega, & the other mainstream brands like a Casio & Timex........you get the picture, right?

Rolex aren't particularly great timekeepers, my missus has a Rolex, she went to a dealer once to get it serviced because it kept losing time, the dealer jokingly asked if it was a fake (it is) and then said he knew it wasn't because if it was a fake it'd probably have a Timex movement in it, which, in his opinion, was more accurate than the Rolex movement was...

It's not about nit-picking brands & show their faults. I know nothing about designer watches. I just gave a couple of examples. The point is, B&O & Loewe are designer brands. Designer brands are many times more expensive than the mainstream brands. It does not mean that they're many times better.

Kuro is easily the best TV ever. I have one. But it's unfair to dismiss B&O & Loewe. They're certainly not value for money. They don't even pretend to be. But no one can deny that they make some of the best looking TVs around, & their components are of a very high standard. There is a big market for them.

Check Andrew's post in one of the other threads: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/post/23475.aspx

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:And where (or rather who) do B&O get their display panels from?

Samsung in the case of the LCDs, Panasonic for the plasmas.

And where (or rather from whom) does the company get all its picture-processing technology?

It doesn't: it develops it in house, as well as building all the other components, major and minor, machining and anodising all that metal, offering unparalleled aftersales service...

the_lhc:

That's exactly my point! B&O pays attention to detail. Their engineering is solid. They're not built to a budget, so they don't overlook little things. You get a high quality product. Not the best TV around PQ wise, but certainly one of the best built TVs.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
staggerlee:Should we really be discussing the Kuro now that it no longer exists ?I just checked and mine still exists. But seriously, there are recent posts on this forum from people who have bought one, so if it is still the best TV it should certainly be discussed.

A

Anonymous

whats worrying is why its still the best , its been around a while now ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts