What is it about the upgrade bug?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Tough one. Partly for me it was the freedom of being able to have a proper hifi setup after coming out of a relationship in which it wasn't allowed financially and aesthetically.

Things spiral then and it's too easy to lurch from one extreme to another. I certainly did and I've been through a frankly shameful amount of kit. There have been a handful of systems I could have been happy with long term if only I hadn't been so restless. In particular: Marantz CD6004 and PM6004 with Monitor Audio BX2. Denon DCD1500ae and PMA1500AE with Monitor Audio BR2. Cambridge Audio 740C And 740A with Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2. Denon DCD720AE and PMA720AE with Dali Zensor 3. Marantz CD6004 and Onkyo TX8050 with Monitor Audio BR2.

Now? I'm slowly losing interest and I am hoping to go back to something neat and balanced to live with for a long time. Probably Denon or Marantz CD and amp with my RP3 and some Bronze 2s. Then I'm going to stop buying hifi mags and put the equipment out of mind to keep the focus on the music and other things.

Must admit I do regret selling my BX2's in a fit of upgradeitus. After a couple of years flirting with Dali/Kef/QA's which were all good in different ways I now have some MA RX1's which I love. Monitor Audio hit that sweet spot for me sonically and aesthetically, I don't know how they do it for the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts