Question What is in your opinion a hyped and dull speaker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

...Denon AVR's,..

Lol!

This reminds me of when I bought the award winning Denon avc-3020.

I was pretty new to the hobby so there was no need to demo such an acclaimed product was there !?! Yes it did cost what for me was a small fortune at the time, but I’d read that it pairs especially well with the missions I was running . What could go wrong?!

Well for one thing, it was dull as dishwater, muddy and all round just plain...ugh!
I honestly preferred the budget Sony I was running before hand but I’d already sold it so I was stuck with the Denon.

AJM1981

Lol!

This reminds me of when I bought the award winning Denon avc-3020.

I was pretty new to the hobby so there was no need to demo such an acclaimed product was there !?! Yes it did cost what for me was a small fortune at the time, but I’d read that it pairs especially well with the missions I was running . What could go wrong?!

Well for one thing, it was dull as dishwater, muddy and all round just plain...ugh!
I honestly preferred the budget Sony I was running before hand but I’d already sold it so I was stuck with the Denon.

I always thought that having a regular receiver that is excellent would degrade in quality expanding it on a 5.1 or 7.1 scale since it should still remain attractive in price for the consumer while still offering more.

On a sidenote I have personally never felt any attraction to 5.1 sound. I can enjoy it in cinema as much as at someone else's home but not to an extend that I need it at home. An amazing 2.1 is about as good as 5.1.for me. Also I like excellent speakers but I don't like one in every corner.

Reactions: njprrogers

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
WWe

We all hear different and we all look for different things. I'm yet to hear any KEF speakers that I really like. I can appreciate some but that's about it.

My only other experience of Kefs were a pair of Q300's I had a few years ago, great loud but just terrible at lower volumes. I was skeptical about the LS50's but they blew me away once i got some decent power behind them. Not a fan of lower end Marantz amps but really rate their cdp's and for what it's worth the sabre dac in my Peachtree amp is very very good imo.
Different strokes for different folks eh

Sliced Bread

I always thought that having a regular receiver that is excellent would degrade in quality expanding it on a 5.1 or 7.1 scale since it should still remain attractive in price for the consumer while still offering more.

On a sidenote I have personally never felt any attraction to 5.1 sound. I can enjoy it in cinema as much as at someone else's home but not to an extend that I need it at home. An amazing 2.1 is about as good as 5.1.for me. Also I like excellent speakers but I don't like one in every corner.
I have an old thread somewhere on this. I have been debating with myself for years about switching to 2.1 for this reason. It’s even more attractive now as an option now there are streamers and amplifiers with HDMI.

Then again the growth of Atmos / 5.1 music makes me wonder if I’ll regret changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts