what is Hi-end hifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
I could, but when I do go on about these things I get accused of name dropping and telling tall stories.

I was in the industry for many years, I have heard all the stuff in dealers and shows but there is a level above all of that, that almost defies description.

Even so, it has to be better than the usual bollox that's discussed on here.

That's what I thought when I related some of my experiences and a bit of 'industry gossip'.

It was an an attempt to entertain and inform, some people didn't like it and took the pith.

D

Deleted member 108165

CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
I could, but when I do go on about these things I get accused of name dropping and telling tall stories.

I was in the industry for many years, I have heard all the stuff in dealers and shows but there is a level above all of that, that almost defies description.

Hear, hear*good*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

That's what I thought when I related some of my experiences and a bit of 'industry gossip'.

It was an an attempt to entertain and inform, some people didn't like it and took the pith.

I for one enjoy your name dropping and hifi stories.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
cut it out
thumbs_up.gif
If some folks here consider the majority of postings to be "bollox", maybe it's time for them to move on?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I know it's difficult to define hi-end by price point alone but there must be a price tag to be used as reference.
I stated that my idea of hi-end hifi would cost £6-7k (new) in that price range I would find the best one suited for my needs, value for money, built quality and ofcourse best sounding too.

We all have our dream hifi but I would like to dream of 1 that I can actually get.
I haven't heard a system costing 50k but I can't imagine it sounding 10x better than a 5k system.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Native_bon said:
Wow, am shocked how everyone seems to come to reality just now. Everyone seems to agree the same on this thread. NICE!! *yahoo*

Sorry to burst you bubble, but not everyone......!

As I tried to explain, there is a level that can be reached by the true hi-end that is so far beyond what is discussed on here as to be, to all intents and purposes, from a different world.

Sure, you need a good recording, a decent room and all the rest but the standards that are possible leaves you believing that, the entire system is not there and, at that moment, completely irrelevant.

I understand that such systems are quite rare and many enthusiasts never get to hear them, but as I said I have been lucky and heard maybe half a dozen such setups in optimum conditions.

The one thing these setups had in common was nothing to do with the equipment, everything to do with the people who designed, built and set them up, as I said, system building is everything.

Do you think if you listened to music on these systems day in day out, that they would always have the same impact on you?

Don't you think the first few times you hear great sound that it really does make an imprssion on us. Once you get used to it, it's not quite the same. Yes still very good, but nothing compares to the first time it knocks your socks off. Don't you think?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
davedotco said:
Native_bon said:
Wow, am shocked how everyone seems to come to reality just now. Everyone seems to agree the same on this thread. NICE!! *yahoo*

Sorry to burst you bubble, but not everyone......!

As I tried to explain, there is a level that can be reached by the true hi-end that is so far beyond what is discussed on here as to be, to all intents and purposes, from a different world.

Sure, you need a good recording, a decent room and all the rest but the standards that are possible leaves you believing that, the entire system is not there and, at that moment, completely irrelevant.

I understand that such systems are quite rare and many enthusiasts never get to hear them, but as I said I have been lucky and heard maybe half a dozen such setups in optimum conditions.

The one thing these setups had in common was nothing to do with the equipment, everything to do with the people who designed, built and set them up, as I said, system building is everything.

Do you think if you listened to music on these systems day in day out, that they would always have the same impact on you?

Don't you think the first few times you hear great sound that it really does make an imprssion on us. Once you get used to it, it's not quite the same. Yes still very good, but nothing compares to the first time it knocks your socks off. Don't you think?

I find the opposite it true for my DM5 2.1 system. It never fails to knock my socks off and I'm regularly amazed by the sound no matter how often I listen to them. Price tag apart it is a true high end system IMO.

I expect that there are several other forum members who also feel the same about their systems too

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

Here! here! lol!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The term "High End" imo. correlates only with price of the components and has nothing to do with hifi/accurate reproduction of canned music,which can be achieved with much more less expensive gear to a decent level too and everybody being an individual and has it´s own understanding,ability and standard what is to be accurate(enough).A healthy 60 years old person has not the same ear as a 20 years old one.

It´s also like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrari/Lamborghini etc. or travelling business class instead of suite class if you understand what i mean.On the other hand and for most people a reasonable mid class car and economy class will bring you from A to B too while offering enough satisfaction/accuracy just like good entry level audio components with great synergy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
I know it's difficult to define hi-end by price point alone but there must be a price tag to be used as reference. I stated that my idea of hi-end hifi would cost £6-7k (new) in that price range I would find the best one suited for my needs, value for money, built quality and ofcourse best sounding too.

We all have our dream hifi but I would like to dream of 1 that I can actually get. I haven't heard a system costing 50k but I can't imagine it sounding 10x better than a 5k system.

And this is the problem.

Getting to hear such a system at all is quite difficult, hearing one in optimum conditions is something else again.

Quantifying the difference in those terms is impossible, but a real high end setup will take your breath away. I would go as far as to say that the sound is so different to regular hi-fi, even quite expensive regular hi-fi, as to make any of the usual thoughts about sound quality totally irrelevant.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
cut it out If some folks here consider the majority of postings to be "bollox", maybe it's time for them to move on?

I wasn't being entirely serious.....but saying that, I could list quite a few delightful, interesting and knowledgeable people, who have done exactly that. This forum is certainly not any richer without them.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The nearest I've got to listening to a high end system was last year at an Audio-T vinyl evening where they were showcasing upwards of £25k's worth of Rega TT, Naim amplification, and PMC speakers. Very nice it was too until the Naim amp overheated and packed in
embaressed_smile.gif

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing and I mean really nothing beats a unplugged live session in a intimate club or the experience you get from a philharmonic orchestra in a great hall so there is no point hunting for that as one never be able to reproduce that feeling and athmosphere in his own rooms.Close to it means nothing imo...it´s not the same, that´s what all counts.The best high end system would be never able to take your breath away as it could do the real thing,heck even acoustic instruments do sound different and more natural than electronic instruments.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
What is your perception of truly Hi-end hi fi?
I know the very term 'hi-end' is subjective but in hifi scene everything is subjective but there is no harm in sharing opinions.

Like many audiophile marketing words "high end" doesn't really have a meaning but has associations which varies from peer group to peer group. For most here in what might be called the "audiophile" peer group it is a positive term associated with high price, high looks and high performance. For others in what might be called the "technically knowledgeable" peer group it is a more negative term associated with excessively high price, garrish looks and often poor performance. For those in the large "not interested" peer group it is a fairly neutral term associated mainly with a very high price with perhaps mild associations of high performance and a probably significant negative when it comes to looks in the sense of not wanting it in their living space.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have heard a c£80k Linn Klimax Exakt 350a two source system. I would rate that as in the ball park for high end sound.

I have also heard a £40k two source Linn Klimax DS, LP12 SE, active Majik Isobarik system. That was not high end by sound quality.

I have also heard a £40k single source Linn Akubarik system. I wouldn't rate that as high end either.

I've heard a £50k Rowland, Wilson system that I'd rate as high end by sound quality.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:

I don't see why you can't list the systems, and then discuss the gear as appropriate, while leaving out the anecdotes behind them.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Esra, I have a recording of two men and their guitars. It was recorded at a small live venue and would have been played through a small PA system at that venue. I have heard this recording reproduced as good as live.

For full orchestral works, the best systems I've heard haven't been able to quite reach the heights of a live performance, but they do get you significantly closer than the merely good systems, and a lot closer than mediocre systems.

High end systems will take your breath away on a regular basis with a variety of recordings. With a high end system (by sound quality), after a while you take what it can do for granted. And it's only when you listen to a less good system that you sit there thinking "Hang on! Something doesn't sound right here..."

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
The nearest I've got to listening to a high end system was last year at an Audio-T vinyl evening where they were showcasing upwards of £25k's worth of Rega TT, Naim amplification, and PMC speakers. Very nice it was too until the Naim amp overheated and packed in

?

That must have been very embarrassing for Naim representative, if 1 was present.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I heard an Absolute Sounds system demo hosted by Ricardo Franassovici that consisted of an Oracle Delphi with Black Widow arm and Koetsu cartridge plus Audio Research valve pre + psu and Krell dual mono power amps and Etude speakers from Belgium.

It all cost about £25K in 1980s money.

It sounded quite impressive but we left the show convinced about buying the QED A240SA and matching T260 tuner. (After an excellent and personal demo with no-one else in the room and a lovely cup of tea for my pregnant wife from the QED folk.)

We left the show shortly afterwards to enjoy the beach and sunshine outside. Never been to another hi-fi show in the 30 years since :) (Mostly small, dark, smelly bedrooms full of elderly men clutching carrier bags full of promotional literature and listening to almost nothing but Phil Collins and Dire Straits over and over and over ... )

I honoured the QED staff's kindness, friendliness and excellent demo by buying their amp and tuner from Rob at Chichester Hi-fi very soon afterwards. It made an excellent system with a recently purchased Walker CJ55 turntable (a one-off gloss lacquered version with RB300 arm).

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have listened to systems costing up to £150,000 including cables & all, at KJ west one london. Yes it does sound good, but does it justify the price, well no. It had a real impact when it comes to resolution & emotion. Then I listen to a much less expensive system & got just about the same impact.

Myself & a friend thought we were sold the expensive system more than the less expensive one even before we started listening. Having said that the more expensive system more dynamic range when asked to play much louder.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Esra, I have a recording of two men and their guitars. It was recorded at a small live venue and would have been played through a small PA system at that venue. I have heard this recording reproduced as good as live...

Yes that´s possible, hey even a cheapish Kef LS50 pair of speakers with ex. a NAD D3020 amp system is able of doing that maybe not as 100% good as live but damn close 95%.No need for silly overpriced stuff to reproduce 2 man playing guitar to a decent level of reality.But an orchestra or a club with specific sound with a band bigger than just 2 guitar playing man is an other story.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
cut it out If some folks here consider the majority of postings to be "bollox", maybe it's time for them to move on?

I wasn't being entirely serious.....but saying that, I could list quite a few delightful, interesting and knowledgeable people, who have done exactly that. This forum is certainly not any richer without them.

Alex and Roby to name but two... I miss those guys.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
Yes that´s possible, hey even a cheapish Kef LS50 pair of speakers with ex. a NAD D3020 amp system is able of doing that maybe not as 100% good as live but damn close 95%.No need for silly overpriced stuff to reproduce 2 man playing guitar to a decent level of reality.But an orchestra or a club with specific sound with a band bigger than just 2 guitar playing man is an other story.

I totally agree with this. Biggest limitations are the recording and room acoustic, not so much the gear. Give me a great recording played through a budget system over a rubbish one through hi-end exotica any day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts