What is 24p and why do I care?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey just seen a thread were someone was asking if it supports 24p,

My LG 42LD450 does and I have a sony bdp370 so what is 24p and what does it do.

Do I need to change this in my tv settings and what does it do?

Thanks

Oh and tried looking on google, but dont understand all the technical terms they use.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
24p refers to the film transfer rate of 24 frames per second.

Basically this is closer to what a theatrical film is usually shot in and so anything replicating 24p is more natural and closer to the original source.

so for example......

1080p/24 is a screen resolution of 1,920 x 1080 pixels in one complete frame at 24 frames per second (23.976 to be precise)

1080p/50 the same with a frame rate of 50 Hz (Frame rate) per second usually PAL source.

1080p/60 the same with a frame rate of 60 HZ (Frame rate) per second usually NTSC source.

24p is regarded as the better of the 3 due to being closer to the original source.

A

Anonymous

So I just go into my remote and make sure its set to theatre mode/24p ?

Would I leave this on all the time, or only during blu-rays, or does it not matter.

Thanks so much for the straight forward answer

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Select which ever mode gives you the 1080p/24 with blu-ray. As far as i am aware you will only get this with a blu-ray source anyway i have mine set through the BDP which i have on auto and that selects the best output. I can see what resolution is being played by pressing display. When a DVD is played it is either shown as 1080p/50(PAL) , 1080p/60(NTSC).... these are upscaled or sometimes 1080i/50 or 1080i/60 if the source is not 1080p from a blu-ray.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
v1c:

Basically this is closer to what a theatrical film is usually shot in and so anything replicating 24p is more natural and closer to the original source.

so for example......

1080p/24 is a screen resolution of 1,920 x 1080 pixels in one complete frame at 24 frames per second (23.976 to be precise)

1080p/50 the same with a frame rate of 50 Hz (Frame rate) per second usually PAL source.

1080p/60 the same with a frame rate of 60 HZ (Frame rate) per second usually NTSC source.

24p is regarded as the better of the 3 due to being closer to the original source.

Sorry to be my usual pedantic self, but there's no logical argument that 24fps looks more "natural." Furthermore, theatrical film projectors, as a rule, display(ed) each frame twice (i.e. 48fps). I'm glad you said "closer to the source" (rather than "as the director intended," or "faithful to the director's artistic vision")...

strapped for cash:
Sorry to be my usual pedantic self, but there's no logical argument that 24fps looks more "natural." Furthermore, theatrical film projectors, as a rule, display(ed) each frame twice (i.e. 48fps). I'm glad you said "closer to the source" (rather than "as the director intended," or "faithful to the director's artistic vision")...

I still remember the previous debate we had on this!
emotion-2.gif

This might explain things better.

Quoting from the link:

"24p formats are being increasingly used for aesthetic reasons in image acquisition, delivering film-like motion characteristics."

"The 24p feature on the camera produces film-like video that is preferred by many narrative filmmakers."

Anyway, I'm not going on this topic further, as it won't produce any fruitful outcome. But the link is a good guide to understanding 24p.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash:v1c:

so for example......

The term "natural" came from the source i was reading maybe it means natural to the source rather than natural in picture terms ?

What difference is the projector speed when the 24p refers to the film rate that 35mm film stock is shot in ?

What is your point that 24p is no good or that i was talking ****

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:strapped for cash:

I still remember the previous debate we had on this!
emotion-2.gif

This might explain things better.

Quoting from the link:

"24p formats are being increasingly used for aesthetic reasons in image acquisition, delivering film-like motion characteristics."

"The 24p feature on the camera produces film-like video that is preferred by many narrative filmmakers."

Anyway, I'm not going on this topic further, as it won't produce any fruitful outcome. But the link is a good guide to understanding 24p.

No, I won't re-open that can of worms... Surely reference to Wikipedia is the last refuge of a scoundrel!
emotion-5.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
"What is your point that 24p is no good or that i was talking ***"

Neither, really, and sorry if my post seemed hostile. 24p is fine, but it became an industry standard during the 1920s to enable playback of sound recorded on the film strip (not because 24fps necessarily offered the best or most natural image quality).

There's nothing inherently magical about 24 frames-per-second; and modern camera technologies mean faster refresh rates are possible, delivering smoother motion and crisper images. With regard to conventional film projection systems displaying each image twice, this simply means we've been watching 48fps in cinemas (albeit with each frame duplicated). And yes, I'll leave it there, bigboss...

And I wasn't suggesting you were talking ****, v1c.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
You still seem to miss the point about why 50 or 60 Hz is problematic for movie watching. It is not divisible by 24, which creates problems when you try to convert it to 50 or 60 Hz.
It might be that the cameras of today can shoot at higher frequencies than 24 Hz, but the fact is, that 24 Hz is still the standard when creating movies.

Increasing the 24 frame rate to show each picture 2 times or even 4 times is a much better solution.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
No, I get it... I really, honestly, genuinely do (I can do simple maths).

My point is that 24 frames-per-second did not become an industry standard because it offered the best picture quality, but because it was appropriate for sound playback. So from the late 1920s, the industry standard was not configured to optimise image quality; and the industry has stuck with this for the best part of a century...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts