What HiFi? - What Happened?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I have been an off and on reader of the mag since the mid 80's. I saved up and bought my first system based on it's recommendations, (Linn Axis/K9/Rotel RA820/Mission737's), that's how we used to do it in the old days.

It was superb, and my mind was blown. From then on I was hooked..... upgrading and improving. Spending mega dosh to acheive the perfect sound. Change the arm/change the cartridge/change the mat/change the furniture!!

But it was never enough. Had I got the right kit?? What did everyone else have?? Is mine bigger than yours??

So in a moment of weakness, I joined the forum.. originally to ask for some advice on "what hi - fi?" to buy a loved one. And the advice I received was gratefully accepted.

But then I made a mistake! Emboldened by my initial success, I asked for subwoofer advice in the hifi section, and was told that hifi guys don't know what a subwoofer is.....please!!

Over the years nothing has changed and some of you need to grow up. I have read with amusement, the ongoing battle/debate about biamping with integrated amps. If that's all you have to nash your teeth about in todays' world, then shame on you.

I am aware that I may have just let off a grenade in a wasps nest, and I can't wait to see what happens. Unless this post is moved as well......

A

Anonymous

Hello Chillyjockland,

Not sure wot went on with the sub, nor am I of any importance here, so my views are obviously quite worthless.

But, yeah - I know what you mean and I agree entirely. I am, however, guilty of adding to debate over mains cables, bi-wiring etc and you have my appologies for that.

I think there's plenty wrong in this world, from evil dictators to my children having to learn the realities of the real world as they start out in their first fwe years of school.

I think, though, bickering about mains cables gives me a welcome distraction from the important things in life. Which is pretty much how I see my music. Get in from work, music on and forget about stuff (or, indeed, think about stuff).

Bloney

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that was one user's opinion, but since you were asking about a sub more for movies than music, I moved it to the home cinema section, as you'd probably get better advice there.

A

Anonymous

Bang. Buzz. Fizz. Hic.

Who you to judge so harshly those who chose to debate things in which your interest is low?

If you're not interested, don't read.

Perhaps I did grow up, thought it was over-rated, and decided that being a kid is more fun. Of course I actually had to grow up properly to achieve that.

Something perhaps you might like to consider is whether or not you actually needed to make the post you just made, or if it's a rather childish thing, to criticise those who's interests differ from your own. Just a thought.

And if ever you again wish to ask for advice from the people on this forum who you so readily decry, then I'm sure, completely sure, it will be freely given.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TIME OUT, PEOPLE!!!

Let's all take a deep breath and play nicely. Thaiman's opinions are not those of the forums or the magazine, and neither are those of oldphrt, and I simply moved the original post as I thought the poster would get better answers in the Home Cinema section.

So shout at me if you like, but let's cool it a bit, huh?

A

Anonymous

Bloney, well said. We take ourselves and our problems too seriously.

Andrew, don't worry I was just fishing.

Jimwall, caught yah!

A

Anonymous

Jimwall, caught yah!

Pooey :)

As for the taking things too seriously - yes and no - it's not always the right or wrong of it that's fun - it's the debate. I'm learning from the debates I'm in, and I'm applying my brain in something that isn't work, isn't depressing news that I can do little if anything to influence, isn't screaming kids or broken cars or drafty doors or any of the usual day to day rubbish that comes all of our ways.

I hope my posts and arguments are reasoned and rational, that's my aim,
and if I'm wrong I will admit it. You might have to do quite a bit of work to actually convince me of that first however but that's because I know exactly how clever I am and it's more than you so ya-boo-sucks. I don't really think I take the problem seriously, my hi-fi is fine. It could be better. It's fun and sometimes educational to discuss/debate how and why, and I do take that seriously(ish). I mean come on it's surely better than talking about football, we even use words like "impedance" and "ohm" and stuff so it must be intellectual.

A

Anonymous

Oldphrt - nearly got you too, but the mag is not available where I live so you get away.

Apologies to all, I was only kidding. I love music, hi-fi and all that the pursuit of perfection entails. (I just wanted, in a rather crude way) to say that there are more important things to worry about. But, if it sounds good, then surely it is good.

My apologies, Don

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I was trying to help! as you were asking question about a sub to use more with movie than music you would get a better respond from the other section of the forum.

That would teach me to keep my good intention within myself from now on!

emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

Oh dear, I have ruffled a few feathers, haven't I?

Once again, I apologise and will attempt to explain.

I am sitting in a tent, about to go and risk my life again in the middle east. If I have upset any of you, I am sorry. My limited internet browsing led me to this site and in an attempt to connect with people that shared a similar interest, I read with interest your concerns about all things HiFi.

If my opinions have caused offense, I am sorry. If my reaction to your opinions have caused offense, I am sorry. In short, if anything I have said conflicts with your opinions about what is so important - I am sorry.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chillyjockland"]
If my opinions have caused offense, I am sorry. If my reaction to your opinions have caused offense, I am sorry. In short, if anything I have said conflicts with your opinions about what is so important - I am sorry.

[/quote]

No need to apologise - we're all for robust debate here.

The thread-header was a bit inflammatory - nearly lost my cuppa over that one - and i'm sorry you miscontrued Andrew's excellent intentions, but I can assure you he, I and the mag have had far worse!

At the end of the day, WHF is here to try and help, plus host forums where we can all think about fun stuff like making our music, movies and TV sound/look better....

A

Anonymous

This is a great thread! Don, you can stop apologising now!!

Debate is the point of this forum. I get a break from work and every other pressure in my life and I love talking about hi-fi with all you guys. I only know a bit, but it's growing and I'm learning.

Most of all, there's some wicked characters on here!

A

Anonymous

Sir,

if you're sitting in a tent in the middle east, in the pursuit of all things her marvellous brittanic majesty's government would require of you, or indeed as one of her allies, then I salute you.

No caveat, no complaint, no response required.

I work in the defence industry, and my sole real justification for making killing machines is the genuine belief that if we ask people such as yourself to stick your necks out in our name we have a real and genuine responsibility to give you the best bloody kit we can. Sadly I know that sometimes we don't exactly manage to do that.

Have you ruffled a few feathers? Well maybe. But to be honest mine settle down again fairly quickly. Well usually. Perhaps it's good to have our feathers ruffled now and again, especially when we have our own problems put into such stark perspective. Perhaps even more so when mine are probably greater than most of the posters here because they are also undoubtedly far less than either yours or those of the people you are trying to protect. The fact that my life is far from simple is perhaps why this kind of forum appeals so much - it really doesn't matter but still yeilds interesting debate (although I do refuse to hide behind a pseudonym which perhaps keeps a little reality in it for me).

Apologies to, although I expect none are required, from others who post here who do have real problems. I refuse to categorise what is a real problem because only the reader can understand that.

As it happens I did realise that your post was a most likely a troll. I even considered reprising the comment about a cold, damp bridge that I so ruthlessly made to Mr. Oldphart (for that be his real name), for on the most part trolling be an evil business. In the end I decided to just post once and then no more. When you 'fessed up, and certainly after this post, a further response was kind of obligatory. A gentle ribbing is not a troll.

I wish you well and god-speed back to blighty (and the hi-fi waiting for you!)

Jim

A

Anonymous

Hi Jim, this is probably my last post for a while, so I'll try and make it a good one.

My name is Don and I'm from Moray in Scotland, hence chillyjockland. My real name, or preferred username was already taken, so I came up with the above.

I have been away from family, friends and reality for too long now. So if I came over as a bit of a soapboxer, I didn't mean to. I love anything to do with hifi. I don't understand the technicalities of it all, but I know what I like - great sounding music or movies. How that is acheived is beyond me. As my mother used to say, "If you don't have anything to say, say nothing" I'll remember that in future.

I wish you and all the other posters all the best.

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them.

Regards, Don.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chillyjockland"]
Dear all,

I am aware that I may have just let off a grenade in a wasps nest, and I can't wait to see what happens. Unless this post is moved as well......
[/quote]
BOOM!!!!! bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A

Anonymous

At the end of the day if we all had the same tastes and opinions we'd all be boring and this forum wouldnt exist! If you like your music with a sub, then have a sub, if you dont, then dont, but like you said, you can't chuck that grenade into that wasps nest and not expect to get your ass stung now can you?! Each to their own i suppose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts