What Hifi Neat Iota Xplorer review

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I thought they were part of one of the best systems in Bristol.

Amazing sound from these small speakers. I fear though they will sell very few, unfortunately. Perceived value n'all that. Probably a grand or £1.5k too much at their RRP.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I too liked these speakers at Bristol, if I remember correctly they came in some funky colours too?

Pricey yes, but they sound great, I made a note to self to consider these if upgrading again at a later date..... and have that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket ....

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
mond said:
I too liked these speakers at Bristol, if I remember correctly they came in some funky colours too?

They come as standard in natural oak, black oak or walnut veneer, or a satin white paint finish. They can also be custom finished in pretty much any veneer species or paint colour that takes your fancy.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep, loved these too at the Bristol Show, but too steep for my pocket.

I managed to hear the Iota Alphas directly after the Explorers, powered by the Heed Elixir integrated if I remember correctly. The Alphas weren't as expansive and dynamic as the Xplorers, but they were equally as musical and entertaining. The Xplorers are considerably taller / bigger so you'd kind of expect the increased scale in soundstage. But I'd be very happy with the Alphas which strike me as better value at less than half the price of the Xplorers, but obviously lack the isobaric speaker arrangement. There's a lot of initially unseen (read expensive) tech going on with the Xplorers that just look like simple two-ways at first sight.

I really like Neat's genuinely out-of-the-box thinking with speaker designs that actually work in UK living rooms (that means small to anyone living in the US). Full marks. Just wish they's introduce the mid grey as a standard colour that I saw on Ebay a while back. Looks really smart, especially with the bling plinths they do.

Really well made points, Leeps. I too admire their aim in making something compatible with a UK living room. I’m a bit nervous of the way they seem to pay scant regard to basics of measurement though the results are undeniably attractive. The new one is too steep in price though. The Alpha definitely seems like the optimum model

I thought my ATCs were costly, but almost since the day I paid for them I’ve marvelled at the sheer engineering quality and the wealth of UK made parts, when most buy in other speakers and bolt them together. PMC’s latest price rises are unbelievable - see a related thread.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have the Neat Iota Alphas in Satin White, purchased at a £400 discount due to slight cosmetic imperfection. They work outstandingly in my room set-up. Detailed, full of presence not harsh at all. Good stereo separation. They are a sideways move from previous Neat Petit SX, but outshine them in all respects in my room accept perhaps overall weightyness of sound, but this could just be because they look so diminutive and that visual aspect can cloud the mind. I changed because I just hate having speaker stands.

matthewpiano

It's interesting to read this thread, as the Alphas are high on my radar right now. Their unusual design would fit well in our lounge and I like the idea of the sound being more free of the boxes.

They might work well with my Rega Elex-R...

Reactions: Tonestar1

Tonestar1

It's interesting to read this thread, as the Alphas are high on my radar right now. Their unusual design would fit well in our lounge and I like the idea of the sound being more free of the boxes.

They might work well with my Rega Elex-R...
Another old face..... Hope you're well Matthew and have finally settled on some kit you can live with. :D

TRENDING THREADS