What HiFi Awards

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Andy Clough said:
There's no secret about it. We held an Awards dinner in London on October 10th where we announced the winners to the industry (manufacturers, PRs and retailers). The Awards were then under strict embargo for one week until today, so retailers/manufacturers had time to get stock into the shops and prepare their marketing material. Then they can release their advertising/emails or whatever on the same day we unveil the winners publicly.

Anyone who has ever dealt with Press emabrgoes knows what a challenge they are to manage. I, for one, think you did a great job.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
BigH said:
Surprised the AKG 550 won best headphone at home, these can be bought for around £130 so not sure where you get your guide price of £200 from?

John Lewis (among others) sell them for £250:

http://www.johnlewis.com/akg-k550-closed-back-full-size-headphones-black/p231558674?kpid=231558674&s_kenid=761a9af0-8eb8-d4a8-6b61-000033cf2723&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
BigH said:
Surprised the AKG 550 won best headphone at home, these can be bought for around £130 so not sure where you get your guide price of £200 from?

http://www.johnlewis.com/akg-k550-closed-back-full-size-headphones-black/p231558674?kpid=231558674&s_kenid=761a9af0-8eb8-d4a8-6b61-000033cf2723&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

They would :)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The pure radio that won product of the year, didn't that score badly on the gadget show, if i remember right they tested three internet radios and they weren't impressed with that pure radio.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
The pure radio that won product of the year, didn't that score badly on the gadget show, if i remember right they tested three internet radios and they weren't impressed with that pure radio.

I don't completely trust What HiFi reviews, but they are considerably more reliable than the gadget show! As I recall, they had the singer from Fun Loving Criminals who did not like the Pure because he could not work out how to use it

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
Andy Clough said:
BigH said:

They would :)

Yup.

RoadieRoger

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Why no mention of Tuners in the Awards these past years ? They aren`t mentioned in the Buyer`s Guide at the back of the Magazine which does claim to be the UK`s best guide for Hi-Fi as well . Portable Radio might have found a new lease of life somewhere , not in my house . I still listen to a Tuner and a Receiver .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Im a bit confused by the Marantz 7007 review, it says £1,000 is a lot to pay for a BD palyer referring to the 7007 but it was tested at £700 and sells for around that still?

Also ? mark over universal, no wifi and only plays region 2.

I would have thought it would be better to have an upto £500 section and then above £500 section.

T

the record spot

BigH said:
Im a bit confused by the Marantz 7007 review, it says £1,000 is a lot to pay for a BD palyer referring to the 7007 but it was tested at £700 and sells for around that still?

I would have thought it would be better to have an upto £500 section and then above £500 section.

Traditionally, a universal player is one that incorporates BR, DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A and in the odd case (as with the Cambridge 752) HDCD as well. Not too many of those kicking around. So I think it refers more to disc based formats than the mass ranks of non-disc digital formats out there.

Seems an odd critique though - the Oppo at £900 is more expensive (try finding one at £700) - so I'd have thought the "sound per pound" thing works, or should work, enormously in Marantz's favour.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
BigH said:

Traditionally, a universal player is one that incorporates BR, DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A and in the odd case (as with the Cambridge 752) HDCD as well. Not too many of those kicking around. So I think it refers more to disc based formats than the mass ranks of non-disc digital formats out there.

Seems an odd critique though - the Oppo at £900 is more expensive (try finding one at £700) - so I'd have thought the "sound per pound" thing works, or should work, enormously in Marantz's favour.

It seems WHF have not reviewed the Oppo 105, after the Oppo 103 review, Im not surprised that they have not sent WHF one for review, the 103 seems out of line with all the other reviews I have seen but then I think there are better places than this for BD reviews. Maybe they should just stick to Hifi?

the record spot said:
BigH said:

Well, the Oppo 105 has a lot more features than the Marantz UD7007, so it's not the price alone.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I've not got a problem with any individual award.

But it's all pretty predictable.

KEF LS50 winning the Reader award was odds on. How many who voted actually own them.

Its also such such a commercial excercise. I've had emails from Superfi and Sevenoaks referencing the awards, I'm not ever so comfortable seeing a BUY link next to the winning items either.

I dont think even mr Spock would regard the AKG K550 as on ear headphones.
'' It's life Jim, but not as we know it'', Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow..............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts