WHAT HI*FI magazine deals

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Whilst I was at CDG Airport in Paris this afternoon waiting for a flight back to Blighty, my phone went and it was someone purporting to be from Haymarket Publishing offering me a very cheap subscription to What HiFi magazine in return for my bank details (which obviously I didn't give).

Has anyone else been contacted in this way?

insider9

I've had some strange number call me today but didn't answer. Googled the number but didn't come up in search.

You'd think they should know better than to ask people for bank details over a phone.

Infiniteloop said:
Whilst I was at CDG Airport in Paris this afternoon waiting for a flight back to Blighty, my phone went and it was someone purporting to be from Haymarket Publishing offering me a very cheap subscription to What HiFi magazine in return for my bank details (which obviously I didn't give).

Yes had the same call yesterday. Didn't ask for bank details as I put them off as was rather busy and asked to ring back today, they didn't.

Infiniteloop said:

Apologies, double post.

D

Deleted member 2457

Infiniteloop said:

I have been contacted recently by house phone number asking about a 3 for £3 subscription to WHF and they wanted my details, I said I would think about it, they said they would phone back in 2 days, I wasn't in when they phoned back and I haven't heard from them since.

D

Deleted member 2457

Btw I just thought it was legit, I have been contacted before this way too. Now it's got me wondering can WHF please confirm? Thanks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

You must look very much like a typical audiophile for them to have guessed the magazine that would have interested you.

More so than a fisherman or boy racer car enthusiast or spotty teenager for Maxim subscription *biggrin*

Doh just realised - I thought someone had approcahed you personally - Doh comment

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
gel said:
Al ears said:
gel said:
I have been asked about Stuff before too.

I have been wondering where they got my mobile phone number from, still haven't heard from them.
Must be legit, surely?

Why? Not even a legit body would have my mobile number.

That's what made me very suspicious. How did they get my number?

Can someone from What HiFi please respond to clear this up?

shadders

Hi,

I changed my mobile number, and did not pass to anyone at the time. I ordered some equipment online, and they had my new mobile number to send sms updates regarding the delivery.

Given that I had not told anyone, then the mobile companies must be exporting this information regularly to other companies, which are providing a database service (at cost) to other businesses.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. You are a commodity.

Regards,

Shadders.

Macspur said:
Why on earth doesn't someone from WHF come on and either confirm it's them, or dismiss this as a scam?!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I am assuming the mods, whoever they are, may be are asleep or indeed have no idea what Haymarket Publications are up to. About time the responded and did a bit more towards banning certain fortunes that have recently popped up her to troll merrily or I for one will leave this forum to fall into the pit it has been allowed to become.

shadders

Al ears said:
Macspur said:
Why on earth doesn't someone from WHF come on and either confirm it's them, or dismiss this as a scam?!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I am assuming the mods, whoever they are, may be are asleep or indeed have no idea what Haymarket Publications are up to. About time the responded and did a bit more towards banning certain fortunes that have recently popped up her to troll merrily or I for one will leave this forum to fall into the pit it has been allowed to become.
Hi,

I don't think the forum is that bad at all. Sometimes it is like an alphabetical sudoku, trying to work out which star corresponds to which letter of the alphabet that has been moderated.

It certainly has improved my vocabulary, only ever so slightly.

Of course, this is based on the premise that the number of stars do in fact represent the number of letters moderated.

Regards,

Shadders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

I changed my mobile number, and did not pass to anyone at the time. I ordered some equipment online, and they had my new mobile number to send sms updates regarding the delivery.

Given that I had not told anyone, then the mobile companies must be exporting this information regularly to other companies, which are providing a database service (at cost) to other businesses. 

Regards,

Shadders.

Ive been saying this for years. Problem is it gets into the hands of the wrong people

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Ive been saying this for years. Problem is it gets into the hands of the wrong people
Hi,

Yes, the hacking of websites where the security questions are very relevant to your past, also exposes much more information which can be used by people for fraudulent purposes. Seems to be a complete and utter lack of coherent thinking in what can go wrong, to ensure what we do today does not impact the future.

Regards,

Shadders.

They're almost certainly legit. I have received such calls, and I have taken up the offer in the past. The first time, I cancelled the subscription within 3 months so no additional charges. The second time, I let it run for a further 6 months.

They usually get your details if you have entered any competition on the website, and haven't unticked the box which says they may contact you with offers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
They're almost certainly legit. I have received such calls, and I have taken up the offer in the past. The first time, I cancelled the subscription within 3 months so no additional charges. The second time, I let it run for a further 6 months.

They usually get your details if you have entered any competition on the website, and haven't unticked the box which says they may contact you with offers.
Thought so too.
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts