What Hi-Fi listening rooms

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought this thread was ended well....never mind

FWIW. I was a bit like 4lkn4 when I first join the forum! There were rumours about negative things on WHF magazine including star ratings link to advertise space but none of them have been prove so it's just that....a rumour.

You see after many posts here I found lots of friendly blokes (and 1 lady) that keep me coming back and chat more. nice place here and I hope 4LKN4 feel the same after a while.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd certainly like to hope there are no more rumours about star ratings being linked to advertising - the KEF advert on p19 of the current issue, just pages away from the three-star KEF reviews mentioned in this thread, is just the most recent example of why such gossip is both stale and false.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This one...
emotion-14.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Sonicaccuracyisall:If you don't like an over bright sound or would like to hear a piano or guitar sound like it does when played live then the current WHF favourites aren't going to do it for you as they will rip your head off with aggressive treble.
4LKN4:I too have heard that these treated rooms are quite dead, which tend not to favour a lean sounding speaker, and favours fuller sounding speakers.
Here are two extremes of opinion, from two extremes of this thread. Both are based on unsubstantiated hearsay or, worse, simple prejudice.ÿ
I'd suggest that the truth lies in bewteen these two examples of robust independent thinking.ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Bet Mr Gotham won't be advertising any time soon though.......

(how do you do the devil smiley?)

And neither may KEF! But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter to us editiorially who does or doesn't advertise - we're fearlessly on the side of the consumer....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:Bet Mr Gotham won't be advertising any time soon though.......

(how do you do the devil smiley?)

And neither may KEF! But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter to us editiorially who does or doesn't advertise - we're fearlessly on the side of the consumer....

I've heard some of the new Kef's today. They are still not my favorites but I have to say they are an improvement on the predecessors. Sound more grown up now and lost some of the nasty edge and boxy sound. I don't want to start an argument but I'd advise anybody to try and compare them with the usual suspects. Not immediately impressive but that can only be a good thing over time if matched sensibly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:I've heard some of the new Kef's today. They are still not my favorites but I have to say they are an improvement on the predecessors. Sound more grown up now and lost some of the nasty edge and boxy sound. I don't want to start an argument but I'd advise anybody to try and compare them with the usual suspects. Not immediately impressive but that can only be a good thing over time if matched sensibly.Good post. We've found that some of the initially less involving speakers tend to grow on you and become some of the best speakers you'll hear. For myself, I know this has happened with the Spendor S5e's, among others.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
chebby:In the world of journalism popularity is a dubious measure of worth.

I think your response would have more impressive without that last argument.

If that is your opinion, so be it. But greater sales suggest more people like and trust what they read, doesn't it? And in the real world, rather than this mythical world of journalism you mention, I think I'd rather be working on WHFSV right now than any of the other UK magazines.

not that i am dismissing your opinion Andrew but i think your mag has a slight advantage in that it also does the Vision side of things on top of the Sound. So John consumer doesnt have to buy both a hifi and Tv mag - he can just buy WHFSV. Personally i agree with Chebby in that i never equate popularity (in any consumer market) with quality (no offence meant - im sure id be chuffed to bits if i was the Editor of one of the UKs best selling mags!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:not that i am dismissing your opinion Andrew but i think your mag has a slight advantage in that it also does the Vision side of things on top of the Sound. So John consumer doesnt have to buy both a hifi and Tv mag - he can just buy WHFSV.

Makes a change from people grizzling that's what's wrong with the magazine, I guess...

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:im sure id be chuffed to bits if i was the Editor of one of the UKs best selling mags!

Mr Editor Melville is always conspicuously chuffed - now I know why...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

professorhat:I don't get it.

It's American. Enough said.

LOL
emotion-4.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Judging by the threads we've had on here in the past (and i'm sure we will again), I think our views on the 'diversity and magnitude' of cables are certainly 'unpopular' with some
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
al7478:well id love to read it.

If you hold your breath that long you will go red, then purple, then blue.

I find breathing desirable (nay essential) when reading anything longer than "The Ladybird book of Stereo". (I have noticed Naim owners still mouth the words when reading that one.)

Now where did I hang my coat?

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Okay, wow, took enough to get a proper answer from you, thank you for eventually doing it!Anytime!

I don't understand this statementMy bad - I meant to say that "using budget kit with reference kit has no real value".

As Andrew says, heard from who? How can I possibly expect to believe you if you have no credible source. Sorry, I need more than that, I'm not a News of the World reader so I tend to look for credibility and evidence rather than just believing what someone who just joined the forums "heard".Obviously it may not be right for me to reveal the source, or in this case, sources, as I've heard that there's more than one report of this. I may be new on these forums, but I've been a member of the other forums for most of this present decade, so I'm fully aware of what some people demand

EDITED BY MODS - BLATANT TROLLING

You seem to think I dislike anyone disagreeing with WHF's opinions. What I actually disagree with is people coming on this forum and making baseless comments and accusations.If you're a regular to forums, you should be used to it!

You'll see it in a number of forum posts I've been involved in such as recent ones with people commenting on all Onkyo amps being faulty, in the past people attempting to spread the myths of Plasma televisions, others attempting to put people off trying out different cables for themselves. In all, I speak out against anyone making ridiculous claims they can't prove - in most cases, it's pretty obvious the person is just there to troll. In this case, I don't think you're actually trolling properly, but you are making very serious claims that you haven't proven. So the onus is on you really.I'm not really trying to prove anything. This all blew up from me saying not understanding why a 5 star product can be replaced by something better and lose 2 stars! Everyone else has built it up! In fact, I didn't even start it, I just agreed (partly) with the OP! I was going to mention it myself, but someone beat me to it. I also stand up for what I disagree with, just as you do, so am I so wrong for saying so? It's just unfortunate that my first posting was linked with this.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I find breathing desirable (nay essential) when reading anything longer than "The Ladybird book of Stereo". (I have noticed Naim owners still mouth the words when reading that one.)

Now where did I hang my coat?

Just outside the tent, I'd suggest.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
4LKN4:I'm not really trying to prove anything. This all blew up from me saying not understanding why a 5 star product can be replaced by something better and lose 2 stars!
No, it blew up when you made those accusations about WHF's listening rooms not being good enough to test equipment in - I think Dominic answered you query above very well on Page 5. It's always nice and convenient when you have reliable sources that can't be named - I didn't get to see the post before it was edited but I'm guessing it probably wasn't worth reading.
Anyway, I think everyone's probably had enough of this topic now (well, most people probably did 5 pages ago) so I think I'll leave it there - sorry everyone!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And that seems a good note to lock this thread - happy for it to be here for people to read the debate, but as that debate isn't going anywhere productive, let's draw a line under this one.

Always happy, as ever, to discuss any element of our testing procedure in any future thread - sticking to the truth, not ill-informed conjecture.

TRENDING THREADS