Question What hi-fi amp to choose

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Good afternoon,

Am currently planning to purchase a full set hi-fi system (turntable, speakers, amp). However, bti confused here in terms of what to choose. budget about to be sent for the amp arnd EUR 1,500. Would appreciate to receive your recommendations!

Ilias

Good afternoon,

Am currently planning to purchase a full set hi-fi system (turntable, speakers, amp). However, bti confused here in terms of what to choose. budget about to be sent for the amp arnd EUR 1,500. Would appreciate to receive your recommendations!

Ilias
Welcome to the forum.
More information would be helpful. What size room and what speakers did you have in mind?
Is the turntable going to be your only source?
Best advice I can offer is get to visit a local dealer and audition kit. Usually if you buy the whole system from one dealer you can get significant discounts.

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
More information would be helpful. What size room and what speakers did you have in mind?
Is the turntable going to be your only source?
Best advice I can offer is get to visit a local dealer and audition kit. Usually if you buy the whole system from one dealer you can get significant discounts.
many thanks for your reply! size of the room is 10.85m2, thinking of Focal Aria 906. yes turnable to be the only source. already been to one who suggested to combine the above mentioned speakers with Naim Nait 5si. any review on that? many thanks again for replying!

many thanks for your reply! size of the room is 10.85m2, thinking of Focal Aria 906. yes turnable to be the only source. already been to one who suggested to combine the above mentioned speakers with Naim Nait 5si. any review on that? many thanks again for replying!
Not a bad suggestion. Plenty of reviews of the Nait online.
Can you give room size as length and width rather than square metres as s it is more useful.

On second thoughts not sure the 5si has a phono stage....
Needs checking, no it hasn't.
Forget the Naim unless you can budget for a decent external phono preamp
can I suggest you look at a Reg a Elex-R

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Do you already have a significant amount of vinyl, if not, I don't think I'd go down this particular rabbit hole, it can get very expensive very quickly once you realise what's involved.

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Not a bad suggestion. Plenty of reviews of the Nait online.
Can you give room size as length and width rather than square metres as s it is more useful.

On second thoughts not sure the 5si has a phono stage....
Needs checking, no it hasn't.
Forget the Naim unless you can budget for a decent external phono preamp
can I suggest you look at a Reg a Elex-R
room size let's say 3,50x3,10 (could imagine somewhat like square)

jjbomber

Pro-ject T1 phono SB has a built in phono stage. That will work well with the above, assuming you like to rock out.
You are on the right path. Just a question of finding what's right for you, and that can only be done by auditioning. In simple terms, it's a bit like asking us what's the best haircut. We will all have different answers and you need to find the one that suits you best. For example, Some will prefer Pro-Ject, some will prefer Teac, some will prefer Elipson. You need to audition to find out what's best for you.

Pro-ject T1 phono SB has a built in phono stage. That will work well with the above, assuming you like to rock out.
You are on the right path. Just a question of finding what's right for you, and that can only be done by auditioning. In simple terms, it's a bit like asking us what's the best haircut. We will all have different answers and you need to find the one that suits you best. For example, Some will prefer Pro-Ject, some will prefer Teac, some will prefer Elipson. You need to audition to find out what's best for you.
There are many turntables that include a phono preamp most of which are pretty poor. If the OPs spending this much on an amp I suggested he looks for one with an inbuilt phono stage or but a decent external one of set on getting the Nait 5si, this will give him more scope when it comes to buying the turntable itself.
Please note his question was regarding the amplifier

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

once again thank you all for your previous replies on my question!
Actually i have not managed to come up with a decision on above yet. what has confused me (during some auditions i have made) is that there had been some dealers who were suggesting me to go for an amp that has many features like (bluetooth, supporting online streaming apps etc...). However, truth is am interested in analog/vinyl sound. So i was wondering if it would be better to go for an amp focusing on that rather than choosing one that supports a variety of features, which could mean less focus on sound quality ? i understand every dealer would like to promote/sell specific brands and this is where am bit ''lost'' which brand should be best for vinyl/analog sound?
Appreciate your comments

Gray

The traditional phrase is "Let the dealer guide and your ears decide".
But personally, I've never let a dealer guide.

You're going to need plenty of money for high quality vinyl - so if you don't want any other facilities it makes sense not to pay for them.
(You could always add them in the future if you changed your mind).

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
The traditional phrase is "Let the dealer guide and your ears decide".
But personally, I've never let a dealer guide.

You're going to need plenty of money for high quality vinyl - so if you don't want any other facilities it makes sense not to pay for them.
(You could always add them in the future if you changed your mind).
Hi Gray,

many thanks for your reply, however, to be honest, am not quite sure i got your point. i do invest in LP's buying so no problem to make a good investment in amplifier.
sorry f i was not clear too. what concerns me is whether some brands pay more attention on producing amps that have a better support for digital source music rather than connecting this to a turntable. hope gave you a better picture of what searching here

Gray

Hi Gray,

many thanks for your reply, however, to be honest, am not quite sure i got your point. i do invest in LP's buying so no problem to make a good investment in amplifier.
sorry f i was not clear too. what concerns me is whether some brands pay more attention on producing amps that have a better support for digital source music rather than connecting this to a turntable. hope gave you a better picture of what searching here
Hi Illias,
From your initial post it seems that a turntable / cartridge is part of your buying plans.
My point was that you will need to allow considerable funds for that - because the highest quality vinyl playback is expensive.

Manufacturers that include Bluetooth receivers / DACs / streamers within their amps would no doubt argue that it has no effect on the analogue side of things.

But, as we always say, why pay for what you're not going to use?
As for your options, a few of us have found Marantz amps to have good built-in phono preamps (not least on the KI versions).
But there really is no substitute for listening to different options and deciding for yourself (especially when it comes to cartridges and speakers👍).

Reactions: WayneKerr

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi Illias,
From your initial post it seems that a turntable / cartridge is part of your buying plans.
My point was that you will need to allow considerable funds for that - because the highest quality vinyl playback is expensive.

Manufacturers that include Bluetooth receivers / DACs / streamers within their amps would no doubt argue that it has no effect on the analogue side of things.

But, as we always say, why pay for what you're not going to use?
As for your options, a few of us have found Marantz amps to have good built-in phono preamps (not least on the KI versions).
But there really is no substitute for listening to different options and deciding for yourself (especially when it comes to cartridges and speakers👍).
Hi Gray,

above is more clear and appreciate your time and replying!

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts