What happend too these ?

Gray

My mate had a Yamaha CD recorder. It was fine as a recorder but instantly forgettable compared to standalone CDPs.
Yes, the Philips is nothing special as a player (unless going via an external DAC).

Yamaha made a product that interested me.
It was a standalone CD recorder with a hard drive - so you could collect / edit before recording to CD.
Trouble was, it cost £1300....at a time when my DVD recorder cost £300 and that contains a HDD too.

I wrote to Hi-fi Choice mag, making the point that audio buyers were being severely ripped off compared to video buyers - they heartily agreed, made it letter of the month and bunged me a prize.
(Bet Yam didn't sell many of what looked like a nice device).

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I've never seen one of these before, but from skimming the manual, you need another CD player to be the input as it records to the CD in itself? That's madness. Especially at a time when most PCs and laptops had DVD drives. Simple bit of software would copy any audio CD easy.

Edit: now many PC's and laptop dont have DVD drives it could possibly be more successful now. I mean no one would buy it, obviously, but could still be more successful than first time round.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I've never seen one of these before, but from skimming the manual, you need another CD player to be the input as it records to the CD in itself? That's madness. Especially at a time when most PCs and laptops had DVD drives. Simple bit of software would copy any audio CD easy.

Edit: now many PC's and laptop dont have DVD drives it could possibly be more successful now. I mean no one would buy it, obviously, but could still be more successful than first time round.
I get your point.
But I already owned a few CD players - so connecting one digitally and making perfect CDs worked for me.....20 years before I bought my (first ever) computer 😐

They also have analogue inputs, handy for my earliest digitising of vinyl (as well as line-level sources).

Last edited:
Reactions: hifi and Al ears
Yes, the Philips is nothing special as a player (unless going via an external DAC).

Yamaha made a product that interested me.
It was a standalone CD recorder with a hard drive - so you could collect / edit before recording to CD.
Trouble was, it cost £1300....at a time when my DVD recorder cost £300 and that contains a HDD too.

I wrote to Hi-fi Choice mag, making the point that audio buyers were being severely ripped off compared to video buyers - they heartily agreed, made it letter of the month and bunged me a prize.
(Bet Yam didn't sell many of what looked like a nice device).
I could be wrong but I seem to remember Yamaha produced two models, one that was just pure recorder and a more expensive version where you could edit recordings -- pretty sure Richer Sounds sold them both.

I had a Traxdata one that performed flawlessly for a long, long time. When it gave up the ghost I replaced it, but the TEAC that replaced it is just rubbish - arbitrarily stops recording, misses track ends etc.

I went to Spotify for background music compilations for this reason above all others.

Gray

I had a Traxdata one
I remember their recorder. I still have the Traxdata discs that I made.

My Philips recorder was always operationally a bit hit and miss. Edit functions are nowhere near as precise and comprehensive as Sony Minidisc, which was (still is) truly exceptional in that regard.

Seems CD recorders were quite popular - though probably not with the normal population 🤪

Reactions: 12th Monkey

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Does your PC have the same sound has your HIFI ? How long will it take too transfer your music too play on your HIFI? And own it and keep it not a file.. I have a streamer but prefer too buy cds or Vinyl or even cassette. and still play it 20 years later .

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Does your PC have the same sound has your HIFI ? How long will it take too transfer your music too play on your HIFI? And own it and keep it not a file.. I have a streamer but prefer too buy cds or Vinyl or even cassette. and still play it 20 years later .
Unless I'm missing a really major point here it's simply a CD player/recorder with a few tricks up its sleeve. What do you intend to do with it?

If it's to create copies of your own CDs then even Windows Media Player will do this for you in about 10 minutes, and they will be exact copies. If it's to copy broadcasts then there's PC software which will do this too. It's all in the digital domain so the PC sound won't have any effect on the recording.

95% of my CD collection has been ripped to FLAC files which I then play through my hi-fi.

Reactions: clanking and Gray

Gray

I am looking at this at mo dont want a SH 1 .
As Wayne says above, a computer will do all that a CD recorder can, with no loss in quality.
If you haven't already got a CD burning drive, you can buy one cheaply to connect to your PC to make your physical disc copies.

It is true though that if you've got a CD player to connect digitally to it, that Tascam would be a good alternative.
Note that the Tascam (and PC CD burners) allow the use of cheap recordable discs.
That is not the case with old, domestic recorders. They used more expensive discs, specifically marked 'For Audio'.
(The idea was to give some money back to the record companies 🤔).
The point is, you may find such discs hard (if not impossible) to come by now.

Bottom line...you can't go wrong with that Tascam, but you'll do the same with your PC...and compilations from multiple discs would be easier, as you can compile your track list before the disc burn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts