What goes with Castle Richmond 3is?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently running these speakers with a Linn Classik but am relocating the Linn to another room. Looking to buy turntable cd and amp (with phono stage). Not sure about what price point to look at - the roksan cd and amp seem very popular but would the castles do them justice - or would that be a start and then upgrade the castles in time. Also what sort of turntable should i be looking at price wise - a basic Project on one of the 300 plus models. Decisions decisions. All thoughts welcome especially from anyone who knows the castles.

A

Anonymous

Now I'm in a bit of an Arcam-biased mood at the moment, but what you want for Castles (superb speakers) is indeed Arcam equipment. I would (as I've just purchased) go for the Arcam FMJ A32 for £800 or if you want to spend less, the Arcam DIVA A70 for £500. Then CD player wise I would go for the CD192 at £900, or if less again, the Arcam CD73 at £400. (The A32 amp is still great with the lower prices CD73). Then for a turntable I would go for the Project Experience II which is superb regardless of its modest price. If you wanted to upgrade the castles, then I would go for Rega R5 or even R9 if you wanted to go fully out.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Y'see, I would've said Naim 5 Series would be a good match.

[/quote]

To balance out the slightly laid back nature? Good point if you want it more upfront I guess!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Nothing laidback about Richmond 3is. Just refined and revealing. And I know Naim amps were used for some of the development listening

[/quote]

Okay maybe laidback was the wrong word...perhaps I would err on calling them safe? And I guess if Naim equipment was used for development testing, they would have to combat the 'alive-and-kicking' sound they provide...that said, Naim equipment is absolutly SUPERB if you set it up right (ie don't go for bright cables).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good speakers but to partner them with amps of the price mentioned is overkill to say the least. We had a second hand pair three weeks or so ago and quickly connected them to a cyrus system which, until then, was playing through Epos M12.2 (old version). Nice but thats about all we could say. I'd say get a second hand PM66 KI (marantz) or one of the newer versions up to perhaps 300 quid and a matching player. Then you have a nice little system thats probably balanced ok. Any more and you should, ideally, upgrade the speakers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Richmond 3is used with a good secondhand Naim 5 Series CD player and amp would be a cracking system.
[/quote]

emotion-21.gif

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I picked up some stuff from an eBay seller today he was using his Castles with a Musical Fidelity 3 series amp and Roksan Xerxes Turntable.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the comments - certainly given me some different ideas - i'll let you know how i get on

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts