What floorstanders to go with Denon PMA & DNP 720AE

orangemonkeyj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,

I'm really new to this HiFi stuff and despite being pretty technically minded I'm struggling to get my head around the vast number of combinations of amps, speakers, network players, DACs etc.

I purchased a Denon PMA 720AE and the Network player (over sonos in the end) but I'm struggling to find speakers. I initially planned on grabbing second hand stuff but the amp and network player were well reduced so I took the plunge. I want floorstanders and I'm loving the look and reviews of the KEF iQ5SE, I can't afford new speakers to the spec I want and eBay etc. seems pretty thin on the ground. My budget is about £300 for a second hand pair - any recommendations or should I hold out for the KEFs?

Thanks for your help in advance!

James

orangemonkeyj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, thanks. So go new with the tannoys or missions rather than hold out for a second hand, higher spec pair?

I know this won't be the end of speaker purchasing, I'm pretty sure an upgrade will happen in the next 5 years but it'd be nice to start with something great rather than leave a lot to be desired. Both of the suggestions have great reviews though so I'll look into prices.

Thanks again, any other suggestions welcome!

James

orangemonkeyj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Just seen that the MX3 isn't magnetically shielded, I'm tempted by them but they'll be placed about a metre away from a TV set, is that going to be an issue?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Make sure tyou read up about placement of floorstanders before buying them, many FS need space around them otherwise can be boomy, many say FS are boomy esp. cheaper ones. Do you have the romm size?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Make sure tyou read up about placement of floorstanders before buying them, many FS need space around them otherwise can be boomy, many say FS are boomy esp. cheaper ones. Do you have the room size? And wall/floor construction will make a difference.

orangemonkeyj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
The whole space is a reasonable size, I'd make an educated guess at 10m deep x 8m at the widest point, 7m at the narrowest. Does that sound reasonable for the mx3?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
orangemonkeyj said:
The whole space is a reasonable size, I'd make an educated guess at 10m deep x 8m at the widest point, 7m at the narrowest. Does that sound reasonable for the mx3?

That should be fine, that is pretty big!

TRENDING THREADS