what floorstander would what hi-fi? recommend for a grand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I back the inclusion of R5s too! I heard them in isolation and thought they were brilliant. But i ended up spending more so did not get them. Would be nice to see them compared to others.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Here's what is in so far;

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T
Dynaudio Excite X16
KEF iQ70
B&W 684
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

Kef IQ70? Is that a mis-type or a new model?

Anyway, the list looks good so far.... hopefully you can include the Monitor Audio RS6, Rega R5 and Mission 794 also.....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ajani:

Anyway, the list looks good so far.... hopefully you can include the Monitor Audio RS6, Rega R5 and Mission 794 also.....

New model - more info to follow....

All other manufacturers contacted for kit!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Ajani:

New model - more info to follow....

All other manufacturers contacted for kit!

Ok... I am seriously impressed with how the WHF Team uses these forums.... Actually listening to forum members and trying to review products we want to see reviewed, is a refreshing change from more 'traditional' approaches to HiFi mags... keep up the great work...

I'm looking forward to the shootout and the news on the new KEF model(s)....

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare,

I suppose the list of the tested floorstanders is complete now
Can you please let us know if any other speakers were added in the list above?
Rega's R5? Dali's Ikon 6? Mission 794?

Thanks!!!!
Dennis

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Here's what is in so far;

Dynaudio Excite X16
KEF iQ70
B&W 684
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

Can anyone from WhatHiFi tell us the complete list of the floorstanding loudspeakers you are currently testing for the November issue?
Thanks in advance!!!!

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
I will keep posting to this thread till someone from WhatHifi gives us the complete list of the floorstanders they are testing for the group test of November's issue
emotion-9.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, this one got missed - in future, it's best to start a new thread if you have a specific question for us.

Anyhow, i'm here now, and here's the £700-£1000 floorstander line-up we got in:

B&W 684

KEF iQ70

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

We've tested them alongside two standmounts in the same price category:

ATC SCM11

Dynaudio Excite X16

All other manufacturers we approached declined to participate in a comparative test.

A

Anonymous

I am a complete novice but i will will put the speakers i have listened to over the last couple of months in a top 10 type list for you (i only listened to 7):

7. Tannoy DCT4 AMAZING 5.1 system but pants as stereo speakers for the money. Maybe the DCT6 would be better given the larger size.

6. RS6 - Good all rounder but hated the looks.

5. 684 - Smooth all rounder but lacked detail

4.Rega R5's - Really great with good recordings and sounded very real, but found them too hard on my ears and couldnt listen to at volume.

3.Dali Ikon 6 - Smooth and detailed but lacked at the bottom end (maybe they had not been run in properly)

2. Neat Motive 2's Sweet but the sound got a little coloured / confused at volume.

1. Neat motive 1's Just so smooth and detailed with a low end that is sweet and defined.

My neats are being delivered next week and i cant wait!

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hey Clare,
Thanks!!!
It is a shame we don't have a review of Rega's R5 or Mission's latest 794
emotion-6.gif

What are manufacturers afraid of and they decline a comparative test?
In the case of Rega's R5 it seems not only they don't want to participate in a comparative test but they don't want to have a review at all. They never sent you a pair for testing, right?
This sounds a bit suspicious to me
emotion-40.gif

Dennis

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can vouch that the Dalis have good bass once run in well, but the midrange is where it's at. I'm well chuffed with mine, but if you want rock then these probably aren't right, although good with dance.

ÿ

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Clare,

You like the Tannoy DCT6, however the review states be careful with partnering kit as they can be bright - how will they go with Cyrus kit ?

Or would you recommend other floorstanders with Cyrus ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts