what floorstander would what hi-fi? recommend for a grand

A

Anonymous

My recommendation would be some Focal Chorus speakers. Their 1k offerings are super-dooper!

If you go used, then you may be able to get something a little more exotic...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Neat Motive 2/1

You should be easily able to get slight cosmetic seconds for neat motive 1 for around 900 or even exdem. The motives 2 which are smaller (probibly better value) Will be in your budget new but id personally look for slight cosmetic seconds or exdem as most of the time they are indistinguishable from new and you will save a packet. They are both awesome speakers. Other than that the ones that i have tried -
Kef xq30 - horribly bright to my ears but stunning looking and you may like the sound.
The focals mentioned earlier are excellent.
I really like the floorstnading CM7 from bowers and wilkins. And they will soon do a gloss black which looks amazing(only seen pics in this finish but its stunning).
Oh and you could probibly get used spendor S5e. Very nice speakers but i prefered the neats - have a listen.
And thats about all i can remember auditioning. Hope that helps.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
thanks for the input, clare and everyone else.

Clare, they'd be partnered with cyrus cd6se and 8vs2 amp. I've seen the tannoys, would they be a good suit?

A

Anonymous

The Motives are brilliant little speakers, also try the new Revolver Music 5, big sound, excellent vocals and imaging, the Totems too are excellent but sound smaller, but offer a very crisp sound, again excellent at imaging.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
thanks for the input, clare and everyone else.

Clare, they'd be partnered with cyrus cd6se and 8vs2 amp. I've seen the tannoys, would they be a good suit?

How empty/reflective is your room (hard surfaces, wooden floors etc)? The Tannoys' treble can get a bit over-excited, which may not be best tempered by your Cyrus kit.

Why not take your little boxes of joy along to audition the speakers?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I used my Neats with the same Cyrus gear - very good but some could see at as a wee bit bright. I loved them though. You really should take a listen.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the room is 5m x 5m. wood floor, but, with rug. it has curtains and is well furnished.

i gotta say, Clare, i think it's great that you take the time to get involved with these forums. to be able to get advice from the people that put together the magazine is awesome. many thanks.

p.s. i'm definitely going to audition the tannoys. unless i've missed it, you haven't reviewed mordaunt shorts mezzo 6 floorstanders. Have you heard them?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
ideally, i'd love you guys to come up with a shortlist for me to audition. any help would be great.

Also consider Rega's floorstanders. Special match with your 8vs2.

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
i also have a cyrus cd6se, 8vs2 and have MA rs6 connected to them. initally thought they were too bright but after running in, they are now sounding great. they are only 600 quid so you can save a bit of cash. on the other hand i do like what i've heard of the pmc gb1i, if i was to upgrade i'd consider those, totem or audiovectors.

A

Anonymous

PMC GB1 are superb, but stick to the latest ones as they are better in the treble, amongst other things. These would probably be my choice.
Spendor S5e are good with that equipment.
Rega R5 are excellent speakers with superb focus and range.
B&W CM7, never heard them but probably give you yet another presentation to the above list.

Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

The Spendor s5e are a great choice for the Cyrus kit, they gave an rrp of £1,200 but can be had from the likes of Moorgates for under £1k.

My own room is of a very similar size to yours and has solid wooden floors. The look and feel of the Spendors is top notch too.

I would stay away from MA silver series as the metal tweeters together with the Cyrus kit will be able to pierce your ear drums ... listening to that combo is in my opinion very tiring.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
unless i've missed it, you haven't reviewed mordaunt shorts mezzo 6 floorstanders. Have you heard them?

Yep - and they're another contender, albeit at the slightly cheaper price point (£800). Full review in next week's issue.

A

Anonymous

Can I use two pair of BRFXs as surround/rear in 7.1 set-up with RS6 and RSLCR instead of RSFXs of Monitor Audio? Given that surrounds/rear are more for ambience, will the BRFX create any gap in the sound field instead of RSFX? My room is 5 X 4 meters.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hey Clare,

Some weeks ago you promissed a mega group test of floorstanders at around 1000 GBP.
I hope you have not forgotten about it :)
Which issue can we hope to see that group test in?

Thanks!!!
Dennis

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Here's what is in so far;

Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T
Dynaudio Excite X16
KEF iQ70
B&W 684
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

Great! Please add Dali's Ikon 6 and maybe MA's RS6 or RS8 if it's possible :)
Sure we would live to see Rega's R7 too.....

A

Anonymous

The rega R7's are 1400 quid so maybe the R5's are more like for like with R6's and the 684's. (i think it would be great to have the rega's in there!)

Looking forward to seeing the results of the super test!

I have been speaking to a guy from tannoy this morning (or a distributer who is kindly dropping off the full revolution signature package at audio T in brighton so i can have a listen) and he says they are putting up their prices in september so you may want to speed things up if you wish to consider these.

TRENDING THREADS