What do you think

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Right, this year upgrade fund is going towards my analogue section :)

Two decks I fancy either the rega P5 or P7, both would have the outboard power supply and the RB700 tonearm wired by rega with the tonearm cable from the RB1000.

P5 with Ortofon 2m Black

or

P7 with REGA Exact

Thanks for any advice

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if butting in - The general rule is that the TT is more important than the Arm; and the Arm is more important than the Cartridge.

Cno

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
True Blue said:
Because? Better deck + good cartridge is better than good deck with better cartridge I assume?

Yes. That and the fact that the Rega arm and Rega Exact will not require spacers (so less joins/surface-surface interfaces). The Rega Exact has a non-replaceable stylus (less joins etc.) and a three point fixing (more rigid).

The Rega Exact becomes a better cartridge with each upgrade in Rega TT. It has a very "up and at 'em" character with incredible infectious bass and rythmic abilities. The P7 (or P9) will be the perfect platform to make it shine and keep a good grip on it.

I have only ever heard the Exact with a P25 (and a few sides of my old 12" singles from the 1980s) and it was a blast! I couldn't afford that level of set-up, but it's what convinced me to try out vinyl again and buy the Rega P2 a few years ago.

If you get the P7 and Exact please don't invite me come and hear it or I may end up buying another TT again! (I still have all the records.)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Apologies if butting in - The general rule is that the TT is more important than the Arm; and the Arm is more important than the Cartridge. Cno

CNO, thankyou very much excellent. Pretty much what my dealer said also.

Dont suppose you've heard the P7 Exact combo. Difficult to demo as I want the tone arm cable upgrade.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
True Blue said:
Because? Better deck + good cartridge is better than good deck with better cartridge I assume?

Yes. That and the fact that the Rega arm and Rega Exact will not require spacers (so less joins/surface-surface interfaces). The Rega Exact has a non-replaceable stylus (less joins etc.) and a three point fixing (more rigid).

The Rega Exact becomes a better cartridge with each upgrade in Rega TT. It has a very "up and at 'em" character with incredible infectious bass and rythmic abilities. The P7 (or P9) will be the perfect platform to make it shine and keep a good grip on it.

I have only ever heard the Exact with a P25 (and a few sides of my old 12" singles from the 1980s) and it was a blast! I couldn't afford that level of set-up, but it's what convinced me to try out vinyl again and buy the Rega P2 a few years ago.

If you get the P7 and Exact please don't invite me come and hear it or I may end up buying another TT again! (I still have all the records.)

I'll get the bacon in then
smiley-wink.gif

Hopefully be done before XMAS (overtime pending, as soon as I am fit to work again).

Our beloved dealer is also doing no deposit, pay nothing for a year.........clear it all on the anniversary date and dont pay interest...........................................hence the temptation.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
True Blue said:
CnoEvil said:
Apologies if butting in - The general rule is that the TT is more important than the Arm; and the Arm is more important than the Cartridge. Cno

CNO, thankyou very much excellent. Pretty much what my dealer said also.

Dont suppose you've heard the P7 Exact combo. Difficult to demo as I want the tone arm cable upgrade.

Sorry mate, can't help.

Don't listen to vinyl much these days... only if playing at the dealer when I visit (Linn Sondek LP12, Clearaudio Innovation, Oracle Delphi Mk V1)

Cno

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I would only buy a Rega P7 + Exact if I could get them for a lot less than the £1500 new asking price. For £1500 I'd be looking to find a good deal on something like one of the following:

Garrard 301 or 401

Lenco various idler models

Thorens TD 124

EMT 948

Pioneer PL70 or PL71

Technics SP10 or SL 1200 or SL 1210

Trio L07D

JVC QLY7

Yamaha GT2000

Denon DP100 / 80 / 60

Marantz TT1000

Aiwa LP3000

Sanyo TP1000

Hitachi HT860

Onkyo PX100M

Sansui SR929

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Some of which - I think - you already have. Are you trying to flog one?
smiley-wink.gif

I don't own any of the tt's on that list. The 2 main tt's that I use would cost about £2000 - which is over budget.

The Rega P7 is a decent tt. Rega are masters at getting decent sound from budget components. However, most of the tt's in my list were top of the range statement products. This shows in the sound. Some of the tt's on my list can be bought for very little money, leaving more in the budget for an arm, cartridge and possibly phono amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts