what do manufacturers use ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
U

unknown

andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
TrevC said:
mikefarrow said:
plastic penguin said:
I know that Leema used to sell cables under their own name but was made by Chord, I believe.

thanks for reply. just read on leemas website from the tucana amp manual :-

"never underestimate the importance of good quality speaker cables. bell wire or lighting flex will not do. speaker cables can be very synergistic. the higher the system resolution, the more easily the differences between cables can be discerned".

Not really synergistic (horrible word). Low resistance cables will always sound better, so use thick stranded types. Copper or silver, it doesn't really matter.

i believe silver has a lower resistance than copper (correct ?) therefore silver must be better than copper for speaker cable, agree ?

.... and aluminium is a better conductor than both copper and silver by weight, so lets use that for speaker cables, eh?

The resistance of a speaker cable is a function of the conductivity of the material it is constructed from, and the size of the conductor. A thin silver cable has a higher resistance than a thick copper cable, which in turn will have a higher resistance than a really thick steel cable.

If you are limited by the diameter of your cable (though why you would be is unclear), then go with silver. If not, thicker copper is the cable of choice.

i believe the amount of wire that is able to be attached to a bananaplug/spade would limit the amount of cable/diameter used.

maybe the manufacturers should redesign the sockets used on amplifeirs/speakers.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
TrevC said:
mikefarrow said:
plastic penguin said:
I know that Leema used to sell cables under their own name but was made by Chord, I believe.

thanks for reply. just read on leemas website from the tucana amp manual :-

"never underestimate the importance of good quality speaker cables. bell wire or lighting flex will not do. speaker cables can be very synergistic. the higher the system resolution, the more easily the differences between cables can be discerned".

Not really synergistic (horrible word). Low resistance cables will always sound better, so use thick stranded types. Copper or silver, it doesn't really matter.

i believe silver has a lower resistance than copper (correct ?) therefore silver must be better than copper for speaker cable, agree ?

.... and aluminium is a better conductor than both copper and silver by weight, so lets use that for speaker cables, eh?

The resistance of a speaker cable is a function of the conductivity of the material it is constructed from, and the size of the conductor. A thin silver cable has a higher resistance than a thick copper cable, which in turn will have a higher resistance than a really thick steel cable.

If you are limited by the diameter of your cable (though why you would be is unclear), then go with silver. If not, thicker copper is the cable of choice.

i believe the amount of wire that is able to be attached to a bananaplug/spade would limit the amount of cable/diameter used.

maybe the manufacturers should redesign the sockets used on amplifeirs/speakers.

Mike, one of the challenges for those new to design engineering is to know when to stop. The premise 'speaker cables should have low resistance' is all well and good, but do you really want to be topping up your superconducting cables with liquid helium every morning, or climbing over the welded lengths of railtrack running around your room?

The best speaker cable is no speaker cable, which is one of the reasons why active 'amps in the speaker cabinet' solutions are attractive. Another solution would be to include the speaker cables in a feedback loop, so that any losses or non linearities are compensated for. You could include the speaker voicecoil in the loop as well, and have servo control of the cone....but thats another story.

In the real world, a sensibly chosen, adequately thick copper cable is all that is needed. A rule of thumb often quoted is that the loop resistance (there and back again) of the speaker cable should be less than 5% of the resistance of the voicecoil.

As ever, the excellent Wikipedia has a sensible, well written article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire

TrevC

andyjm said:
You could include the speaker voicecoil in the loop as well, and have servo control of the cone....but thats another story.

It's been done. By Philips in their motional feedback speakers. The woofers had an extra winding on the voicecoil that was used for exactly that.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=philips+motional+feedback+speakers&oq=philips+motional+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11631j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
andyjm said:
You could include the speaker voicecoil in the loop as well, and have servo control of the cone....but thats another story.

It's been done. By Philips in their motional feedback speakers. The woofers had an extra winding on the voicecoil that was used for exactly that.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=philips+motional+feedback+speakers&oq=philips+motional+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11631j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Yep, I remember them well. Servo cone control is still widespread in high output subwoofers - I am surprised it isn't more common in domestic active speakers.

U

unknown

andyjm said:
TrevC said:
andyjm said:

Yep, I remember them well. Servo cone control is still widespread in high output subwoofers - I am surprised it isn't more common in domestic active speakers.

lads you have lost me ! what hardware/cables/equipment supports do you think they used to test these.

TrevC

mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
TrevC said:
andyjm said:

lads you have lost me ! what hardware/cables/equipment supports do you think they used to test these.

Din cables, Philips preamp, MFI.

U

unknown

mikefarrow said:
i think we can all agree (or agree to disagree !) that cables and equipment supports can influence how a hifi system sounds. therefore what cables, equipment supports and hardware do manufacturers actually use when testing/tuning components ? (i believe naim audio are the only company that sell everything you need - cables, equipment racks and upgraded power supplies). has any body contacted hifi companies to ask what they actually use ? what is the "industry standard" ? if enough of us ask, and post replies on here, it will eliminate alot of the "heated debates" on this forum......(often lots of different answers to the same questions) at the end of the day, if there was only 1 mains, interconnect, speaker cable and equipment support option available, all that would be required would be to select a source, amplifier and speakers and hifi purchasing would be alot simpler........

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
i think we can all agree (or agree to disagree !) that cables and equipment supports can influence how a hifi system sounds. therefore what cables, equipment supports and hardware do manufacturers actually use when testing/tuning components ? (i believe naim audio are the only company that sell everything you need - cables, equipment racks and upgraded power supplies). has any body contacted hifi companies to ask what they actually use ? what is the "industry standard" ? if enough of us ask, and post replies on here, it will eliminate alot of the "heated debates" on this forum......(often lots of different answers to the same questions) at the end of the day, if there was only 1 mains, interconnect, speaker cable and equipment support option available, all that would be required would be to select a source, amplifier and speakers and hifi purchasing would be alot simpler........

Mike, the big secret about interconnects and mains cables is that there isnt any secret. Two properly specified cables (be they mains, speaker or signal) will perform and sound the same. There isn't any need for 'industry standard', as any properly specified cable will do.

From your posting history, it is clear that you have a good deal of enthusiasm for the hobby, and that is great. Rather than searching for the greater truth on a forum such as this, can I recommend you read a couple of excellent articles on the web:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

U

unknown

andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

Mike, the big secret about interconnects and mains cables is that there isnt any secret. Two properly specified cables (be they mains, speaker or signal) will perform and sound the same. There isn't any need for 'industry standard', as any properly specified cable will do.

From your posting history, it is clear that you have a good deal of enthusiasm for the hobby, and that is great. Rather than searching for the greater truth on a forum such as this, can I recommend you read a couple of excellent articles on the web:

thanks for your reply. will read the links. cables aside, what about equipment supports ?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

thanks for your reply. will read the links. cables aside, what about equipment supports ?

In the good old days of valves, equipment was highly microphonic. Tap a valve early on in the signal chain and a resounding 'boing' would come out of the speakers. At least part of the 'Marshall Sound' was from having the valve amps resting on the speaker stack and the resulting vibrational feedback.

Resistors, capacitors and inductors can all change value when physically stressed, so in principle, semiconductor amplifiers could be sensitve to vibration. These days however with surface mount components so small you can barely see them, systems are far less sensitive.

It is easy to test. Volume up full, ear near the speaker, tap the amp (or CD player or whatever) with a pencil - any sound out of speaker the device is microphonic, no sound then it isnt.

If it is microphonic, the you don't want sound from the speakers being picked up by the amp. You need to establish if vibration is finding its way to the amp through the support (in which case you need to isolate the amp with squidgy feet) or if it is coming through the air (in which case you need to couple the amp with pointy, sticky or solid feet).

Buying a 'cure all' magic stand is unlikley to lead to an improvement.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Greetings, Flew in from LA yesterday, on an A380 for the first time. A 'fly by wire' system of course, wonder what cables they use?

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has come up with the obvious answer to the original question.

Which is of course that most hardware companies choose their ancilliaries (cables, supports etc) for entirely commercial reasons.

If they make their own they will of course recommend those, if not than someone in the same group of companies. This is particularly noticeable among importers and distributors, who will tell you, often at great length, how the best performance can really only be obtained by using a particular brand of cable that, surprisingly, they also supply.

The rest of the hardware companies will, mostly, use whatever ancilliaries they can get for free, usually in return for a name check or some other form of recomendation, there is rarely more in it than that.

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
Greetings, Flew in from LA yesterday, on an A380 for the first time. A 'fly by wire' system of course, wonder what cables they use?

Impressive aircraft isn't it? Personally, I think they're all in the wake of the 747, but that's just my taste. The A380 is incredible. See this demonstration flight at an airshow last year. This is what happens when you put a couple of military pilots at the helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxnwF-MPi0

I'll bet the alarms in the cockpit ran out of steam by the time it landed!

As for the cables, I imagine it uses cables designed for Airbus' (and also Boeing for their aircraft, McDonnel Douglas for theirs, etc, etc.) like these in this link:-

http://www.nexans.com/France/publication/img/Airbus_Eurocopter.pdf

U

unknown

andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

In the good old days of valves, equipment was highly microphonic. Tap a valve early on in the signal chain and a resounding 'boing' would come out of the speakers. At least part of the 'Marshall Sound' was from having the valve amps resting on the speaker stack and the resulting vibrational feedback.

Resistors, capacitors and inductors can all change value when physically stressed, so in principle, semiconductor amplifiers could be sensitve to vibration. These days however with surface mount components so small you can barely see them, systems are far less sensitive.

It is easy to test. Volume up full, ear near the speaker, tap the amp (or CD player or whatever) with a pencil - any sound out of speaker the device is microphonic, no sound then it isnt.

If it is microphonic, the you don't want sound from the speakers being picked up by the amp. You need to establish if vibration is finding its way to the amp through the support (in which case you need to isolate the amp with squidgy feet) or if it is coming through the air (in which case you need to couple the amp with pointy, sticky or solid feet).

once again thanks for detailed reply. final question, when a company tests a cd player, what procedure do they use to confirm it is an improvement on a previous model ? what i mean is, i presume they plug the player into some sort of a measuring device (correct ?) hence what reading(s) would confirm that the new design is better than a previous model ? i presume the player would be on a "lab bench" plus the cables used would be chosen based on some "scientific" not "sales pitch" design (eg hence my term industry standard). or do all designs, eventually, have to pass a listening test ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:

Impressive aircraft isn't it? Personally, I think they're all in the wake of the 747, but that's just my taste. The A380 is incredible. See this demonstration flight at an airshow last year. This is what happens when you put a couple of military pilots at the helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxnwF-MPi0

I'll bet the alarms in the cockpit ran out of steam by the time it landed!

As for the cables, I imagine it uses cables designed for Airbus' (and also Boeing for their aircraft, McDonnel Douglas for theirs, etc, etc.) like these in this link:-

http://www.nexans.com/France/publication/img/Airbus_Eurocopter.pdf

I saw a A3XX (380 prototype) at Farnborough some 10-12 years ago, seeing it do those kind of stunts, including near vertical turns and controlled stalls, in real life and just a few hundred feet over the runway was fantastic, even more impressive tham the full aerobatic display from a then very new Sukhoi Su 27 air superiority fighter we saw a few miniutes earlier.

It is a seriously big and powerful aircraft, we picked up the gulfstream over the Dakotas and rode it to the southern tip of Greenland, groundspeed was close to 700 mph, at a fraction under 40,000ft, superb.

Flew out on a 747-400, thought that was pretty good till we got the A380 back. Only downside was that the A380 was 'too big' for the normal gates at LAX, we had to be 'bused' out to it, tedious. It is not that much bigger than a Jumbo overall, some NIH syndrome at work I think.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

once again thanks for detailed reply. final question, when a company tests a cd player, what procedure do they use to confirm it is an improvement on a previous model ? what i mean is, i presume they plug the player into some sort of a measuring device (correct ?) hence what reading(s) would confirm that the new design is better than a previous model ? i presume the player would be on a "lab bench" plus the cables used would be chosen based on some "scientific" not "sales pitch" design (eg hence my term industry standard). or do all designs, eventually, have to pass a listening test ?

Mike, I think you are reading far to much into this.

Manufacturers produce product they think they can sell, nothing else much matters. Competent manufacturers will look for some measure of improvement, be it listening or specs, but that's about it.

The rest is down to the marketing guys, I know, I used to be one....... ;)

U

unknown

davedotco said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

Manufacturers produce product they think they can sell, nothing else much matters. Competent manufacturers will look for some measure of improvement, be it listening or specs, but that's about it.

thanks for input. so if a companies new model can often offer no improvement over the model it replaces, how do you go about upgrading ?

(apologies if i'm dragging this one on a bit now, but if companies provided a bit more set system up info..............)

U

unknown

davedotco said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:
andyjm said:
mikefarrow said:

thanks for input. so if a companies new model can often offer no improvement over the model it replaces, how do you go about upgrading ?

(apologies if i'm dragging this one on a bit now, but if companies provided a bit more system set up info..............)

T

the record spot

It is kind of being dragged out Mike. Companies will issue a new product line at periodic intervals of varying duration. Not every one of those new lines that replace the outgoing one will improve on the predecessor in real terms (my Onkyo amp is a good example; the 828 is not what the 818 is). Depends on what you want to upgrade, what expectation you have of upgrading and what upgrading means for you. After that, an upgrade might not be what the same manufacturer delivers, it might be sourced through another provider or it might be that you've plateaud out and a realistic improvement isn't achieveable (that's in line with your expectation / ambition / etc).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts