what do i need for this?

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
at the moment my music and films are stored on an external hard-drive connected to my laptop. i use a tv-out cable to use my tv as a monitor and connect to a dac via laptop. i use thelaptop via the tv to select the music or film and play it through the tv and amp.

this works fine, exept for when i need my laptop for work. so, is there a piece of hardwear i can use in place of the lap-top? something that is connected to my hard-drive, tv and dac permenently? preferably with a remote controle to select the file directly from the tv. would something like an apple tv work? or even an AV receiver whith usb input? even just a small and cheap 2nd laptop be best?

all i really need is the interface, as have dac, amp and speakers already, and hard-drive for storage. cheapest possible would be best.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Are you likely to be working and watching tv at the same time? I've tried it...... even Trisha can put me off on my 'working from home' days.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
yes, i'm a student, i often play music or watch a film while doing work :) it's quite fushtrating having the hard-drive usb out, the usb out to the dac, and the tv out cable in the laptop while working. and the printer and the usb memory stick at the same time. only gives me one place to sit where all cables will reach! seperating the laptop from the system would free up my laptop to use it wherever i want and have less cables going all over the place.

also i take my laptop to uni to do work, which then means that my housemates cant use the hifi at the same time. so having something permenant would make it always available. and means that for parties i dont need my laptop siting around riskng a drink being spilt on it!

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I don't know the answer for sure..... but..... couldn't a PS3 do all that for you freeing up your hard drive? and conveniently offering another tantalising distraction into the mix???

John Duncan

Apple TV is the obvious answer, provided a) your files are supported formats (not necessarily the case) and b) you have less than 160gig - any more than that and an @TV can't store it all, and you have to work out weird storage arrangements. Alternatively, I think Thaiman found a cheap dongle thingie recently, will have a dig.

A

Anonymous

I use a laptop when I'm out and about, and connected to the plasma is a Mac Mini and a PS3, which get film, photo and music from an external harddrive.

The XHDD is shared too so I can play things on the laptop.

TRENDING THREADS