What do I do next????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Rega RP3 with TTPSU and Ortofon 2M red, to play vinyl again and loving the sound, but I know that plugging this through my Denon DF107DAB, SFC107 speakers on Atacama stands and QED anniversary cable is giving on some records a rather muddled bass. I would like to know an upgrade path for this set up without breaking the bank, as ive just spent a few bob on the turntable set up. Would it be wise to try a new phono pre amp into the Denon or just replace the Denon with a new amplifier, keeping the speakers for now. Or just changing the speakers and then the amp? I welcome your comments. Budget is £500 and I listen mostly to jazz, blues, 80’s, synth, Tangerine dream, JMJ, classical.

John Duncan

Tricky. I suspect the place to start is speakers, but I might have to have a dig in the specs of the Denon to see whether it has a bit of power behind it to cope with the ones I have in mind...

A

Anonymous

The denon sounds great with CD's and mp3's and pumps out 65w per channel. The warmer sound of vinyl makes the muddy bass stick out

A

Anonymous

The denon sounds great with CD's and mp3's and pumps out 65w per channel. The warmer sound of vinyl makes the muddy bass stick out

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I'd look at a dedicated phono stage and some low capacitance cable.

Folk like to colour the sound at various points, personally i like to keep a signal as clean as possible and let the amp give you the sound you want. Soo, a stage that is as transparent as possible with some adjustments (flexible) would be good plus low capacitance cable as the signal from TT to stage is very low.

A

Anonymous

i dont really want to get rid of the Denonjust yet, as ive just spent £600 on the TT and PSU set up, so the next major upgrade im thinkimng at the end of this year will be a Rega Brio R and Rega RS5 speakers, however in the meantime if i can do anything to improve the sound from the TT through the Denon then it will be a happy stop gap. What phono stage do you recommend? The Rega mini Fono? I dont want to spend mega bucks which i know you can quite easily.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts