What do i connect to what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, all i'm about to dig out my Yamaha 757se av amp from the loft, it was given to me about 2 or 3 years ago as payment for a job. I'm going to purchase a Panasonic 42" plasma, Th42 pz70, have it wall mounted, Sky HD a 5.1 speaker package and eventually a High def DVD player although which format to go for - blue ray or HD DVD is another matter. What do i connect to what? Do i need a HD aeriel? Is all i need is cable from Sky to TV plus aeriel to TV, cable from Sky to AV Amp, cables from AV Amp to speakers or am i missing something? Also, how do you rate my amp? I'm using a seperate amp and speakers for stereo. Sorry for the STUPID questions, but i'm new to this. Any help greatly app.

A

Anonymous

you really need hdmi which sky hd uses i would change ya amp to the £400 onkyo which loves hdmi sources

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nokz"]you really need hdmi which sky hd uses i would change ya amp to the £400 onkyo which loves hdmi sources[/quote]

Will my Yamaha surfice ........ for now?
..... And how do i connect, my av amp to my tv to sky ect ect.
Very sorry for what to most will be blatantly obvious questions.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given the amp you have now, you were right first time with your cabling assumptions. HDMI cable direct from Sky HD to TV for video, optical digital cable from Sky HD to amp for audio, cables to speakers.

It's when you start adding more sources that you'll really feel the need for an upgrade. In order to make the most of the HD sound available on the new-generation HD disc players (Blu-ray or HD DVD) you really need an amp capable of handling that audio via HDMI, which is where the likes of the Onkyo 605 would kick in. However, for now you could run an HD video player into your amp using its multichannel analogue inputs, but you will need to run a second HDMI to the TV to carry the video.

One of the new amps/receivers will let you connect everything through it, and then just run a single HDMI to the TV, thus keeping things neater.

And no, you don't need a new HD aerial - that's what the Sky HD system will deliver, and the TV's internal tuner will be fine for SD broadcasts with a conventional TV aerial.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply, Andrew. S'pose must start to think about new amp.
Are Onkyo the brand of the moment, or should i consider Denon and Pioneer?
Budget?
Going for
B&W MT-30
Panny TH42PZ70
Onkyo 685?
Mounted on this http://www.avrabbit.com/product-Premier-am3-bk-plasma-wall-mount-584.html
BTW can i listen to tv without amp on, thinking of neighbours, when i watch Sky News at 6am........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Haven't heard many new Denon or Pioneer products at this level, but the Onkyo TS-SR605, at about £400, is very much the amp of the moment.

Connecting through the amp will mean you can't listen to TV without the amp on, I'm afraid, unless you run two Scarts - one direct from Sky to the TV, and one from amp to TV for other sources. You'll just have to run the system at low level!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Haven't heard many new Denon or Pioneer products at this level, but the Onkyo TS-SR605, at about £400, is very much the amp of the moment.

Connecting through the amp will mean you can't listen to TV without the amp on, I'm afraid, unless you run two Scarts - one direct from Sky to the TV, and one from amp to TV for other sources. You'll just have to run the system at low level!
[/quote]

Thanks, will be channeling in cables, so that's not an issuse, apart from £££££££'s
Cheers for info though.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Gawd! You're posting faster than I am this evening!

emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Gawd! You're posting faster than I am this evening!

emotion-3.gif

[/quote]

HEHE,
Mrs Rock Man and teenage daughter both were out tonight, so i could use P.C AND listen to music.

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

I've had a think about your post Andrew
Will i not lose out on both visual and sound quality if i use two scarts?
I.E. One from Sky to TV and one from amp to TV?
Forgive me, i'm ne to this - how do others listen to TV at 'un-sociable hours', do they run two scarts, or as Andrew suggests, the down the blinking volume.
Regards.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rock Man"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote] I've had a think about your post Andrew

Will i not lose out on both visual and sound quality if i use two scarts?
I.E. One from Sky to TV and one from amp to TV?
Forgive me, i'm ne to this - how do others listen to TV at 'un-sociable hours', do they run two scarts, or as Andrew suggests, the down the blinking volume.
Regards.
[/quote]

Anyone..??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I was clearly not awake when i posted before in my second post of Dec 07 - trying to think of too many posted questions at once. The direct Sky HD connection to the TV will deliver sound (in stereo) and vision via HDMI, allowing you to watch the TV in stereo without the amp on, and the optical digital connection will feed sound into the amp only to let you watch in surround sound where available.

Got confused by the midstream switch of amp from old Yamaha to new Onkyo, read HDMI for Scart in that one. Connecting Sky HD via HDMI into new amp will mean you can only watch TV with sound from Sky with the amp on - to watch TV without amp connect direct HDMI to TV plus optical audio to amp, or if you don't mind watching in SD when the amp is off, Scart from Sky to TV as well as HDMI to amp - again with that optical connection for audio into the amp.

Got there in the end...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts