What do I change first?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I need some help in what to change (upgrade) next in my HIFI, either the amp or the speakers. I now have a new Densen Cd player and my amp (Roksan Caspian MK1) and speakers (BW CDM1SE) are both about 10 years old. I listen to classical and like a warm but detailed sound.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I think it lacks the last degree of detail and depth, but because I've upgraded the Cd player I thought that I could get more from it by continuing the upgrade path, I'm just not sure wether to go for a new amp or speakers first.

John Duncan

I never heard the original Caspian, so not sure how detailed it is. None of those components strike me as particularly weak links though, so I would probably be looking at a combination of a s/h caspian power amp and some new floorstanders - the PMC FB1i for example........

Key thing to do though is to go to a dealer and try £1-2 grand amps and speakers in isolation, and see if any of them make you go "ooooo". They might not.

John Duncan

Either as a preamp, with the power amp alone connected to the speakers, or more usually in a bi-amp setup (with suitable speakers), whereby the integrated would power the tweeter and the power amp would be hooked up to the woofer. Gives both amps better control over their respective drivers. Any normal stereo interconnect will do to connect the two - I personally use Gotham, but you may feel it worth spending a bit more, based on the level of your investment.

Check though that the Mk1 has "pre outs" - I am simply assuming it does.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts