Question What did you get for Christmas?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188533

I bought myself AKG K712 Pros. Still trying to decide if they're going to replace my 9 year old HD598s as daily drivers and for gaming.

Reactions: insider9
D

Deleted member 188533

They're brilliant. Love AKG sounds. Give them 50 hours to run in though.

Oh I've used them more than that. I actually got them in a Black Friday sale. Can't say I noticed too much of a burn in change though. The only cans that noticeably changed to my ears are my wood backed TH-X00 Mahogany and TH-X00 Ebony.

The K712 is very good. I bought them thinking they'd replace the 598s that stay plugged into my soundcard which, while being quite good isn't as good as my desktop D30/ X7S for music. I might like them too much for them to slum with the soundcard though.

insider9

Oh I've used them more than that. I actually got them in a Black Friday sale. Can't say I noticed too much of a burn in change though. The only cans that noticeably changed to my ears are my wood backed TH-X00 Mahogany and TH-X00 Ebony.

The K712 is very good. I bought them thinking they'd replace the 598s that stay plugged into my soundcard which, while being quite good isn't as good as my desktop D30/ X7S for music. I might like them too much for them to slum with the soundcard though.
Try old Asus Xonar STX if it's a desktop with enough room. It goes for little money on Ebay and it's a serious source with great headphone amp.

Reactions: Dom

insider9

There was a time when the thought of putting a sound source inside a computer made me shudder, but now I think go for it, there cheap as chips. What have you got to lose?
Properly shielded with power via molex and not from noisy motherboard. PCM1792 DAC which is absolutely fab and a really good headphone amp. Also coax out which is way better if you want to connect to external DAC than any USB.

Dom

Also coax out which is way better if you want to connect to external DAC than any USB.
The USB input of the K3 is good. I tried optical and coax. I used an Audio Breeze XMOS U8 for USB audio 2.0 and full speaker range. In the end I decided the USB had soft and detailed sound. I have since given it to my brother so I can't retest it.

41M3vtmcSKL.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188533

Try old Asus Xonar STX if it's a desktop with enough room. It goes for little money on Ebay and it's a serious source with great headphone amp.
I've had an STX for almost 10 years. It's in my sig. ;)

It's good if a little on the bright side. Not as good as my Class A X7S.

Reactions: insider9

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts