what di i use to connect a streamer?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Considering adding a streamer with gapless playback,providing the dac is better than my avr...also an ipad app would help.

Anyways,as iv'e never owned a streamer,what is the best way to connect to the avr?

cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, if you want to use the streamer's internal DAC, the best way is to connect using standard stereo analogue interconnects into a line-in on the Yamaha.

But which streamer to choose kinda depends on what you're going to be streaming from - computer, NAS device - or whether you just want to store music on a hard disc and then play that through your receiver.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
One possible way is:

NAS -> Streamer (eg. Linn Sneaky :shifty: ) -> Amp via RCA lead.

This can be controlled by iThingy / PDA / Laptop, and should perform like a £2k CDP

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I currently stream via my laptop to the avr,control using the ipad.I'm not interested in a NAS as yet,my music is fine on the laptop(and thanks again Andrew for talking me through the how's&wise of NAS drives!)

Anything named sneaky sounds fun so i'll read a few reviews...but analogue leads it is,as with my cdp.... :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
Anything named sneaky sounds fun so i'll read a few reviews...but analogue leads it is,as with my cdp.... :cheers:

You might like to start with this one: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Linn-Sneaky-Music-DS/

Available here at good value: http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3935-linn-sneaky-ds-networked-media-player.aspx

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just read it and it sounds great,but it doesnt mention an app for the ipad,so i'll have a :type: in a while.

I need the app you see,'cos controling music through the avr was the only reason i got the ipad2...she would castrate me if it was redundant :cry:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
Just read it and it sounds great,but it doesnt mention an app for the ipad,so i'll have a :type: in a while.

I need the app you see,'cos controling music through the avr was the only reason i got the ipad2...she would castrate me if it was redundant :cry:

Here is more info regarding free and 3rd party ones (eg. Chorus DS): http://www.linn.co.uk/support/software

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Other than the Dynamik power supply, the Sneaky can take advantage of the constant upgrades...so the most up-to-date info is on their website.

Maybe if you want better tecnical input, either start a thread, or ask on my Linn DS thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-linn-ds-dsm-thread?page=15#comment-2792188

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just been reading your thread cno,very interesting and informative,pity i didn't see it before starting this...but in my defense i have no idea what i'm looking for or indeed talking about :shifty:

In your opinion,what would you do first?

1 upgrade front 3 speakers..kef R100/200C

2 add the sneaky

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
In your opinion,what would you do first?

1 upgrade front 3 speakers..kef R100/200C

2 add the sneaky

IMO.

1. Upgrade speakers, as the Sneaky will be somewhat wasted otherwise...though it may somewhat depend on the priority you give 2 channel.

2. The Sneaky....remember, it has no inputs. If you want those, you are looking at the Sekrit:: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/new-linn-sekrit-dsm

...or something else.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Sneaky is a 2 channel source with a reasonable amp thrown in....but the amp can be switched out when used as a source.

If you want to properly combine 2 channel with AV, you can do so if your AV amp has pre-outs. This requires something like the Linn Sekrit that has analogue inputs, and it then for AV, deals withs the L&R channels(from the L&R pre-outs). For 2 channel, it works as normal, with the AV amp switched off.

The above is the ideal way to go, but is more expensive.

The first step is to hear what Linn sounds like with the R100s (which imo sounds quite good)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah well,its going to be a long road,but it's good to have an idea of what i require for future upgrades. :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The main thing is to do lots of demos. You could, for example get a Sneaky and then something like a Musical Fidelity M3i, which has HT Bypass....making connection to an AV system much easier.....decisions, decisions and budgets!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You could, for example get a Sneaky and then something like a Musical Fidelity M3i, which has HT Bypass....making connection to an AV system much easier.....

Though by the time you're up to £2k for that network player and amplifier, you could also consider one of the Naim Uniti products, either new or ex-dem, all of which will do the job in one box, including the unity gain AV bypass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
CnoEvil said:
You could, for example get a Sneaky and then something like a Musical Fidelity M3i, which has HT Bypass....making connection to an AV system much easier.....

Though by the time you're up to £2k for that network player and amplifier, you could also consider one of the Naim Uniti products, either new or ex-dem, all of which will do the job in one box, including the unity gain AV bypass.

Very fair point.....I'm not as familiar with the Naim products....it comes under the advice of "do lots of demos".

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
There is no point in me demo'ing as i have no budget,plus if i hear something i want i will pine alot,sulk even more and mrs gsb will fall out with me.

I believe i want a multichanel streamer tho,i like sound coming from all of my speakers(however limiting they be).

I am interested in the oppo 105 as a streamer as it can be used for multichanel.

Maybe not even my upgraded(future) 5.1 system would do a 2k+ streamer justice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
There is no point in me demo'ing as i have no budget,plus if i hear something i want i will pine alot,sulk even more and mrs gsb will fall out with me.

I believe i want a multichanel streamer tho,i like sound coming from all of my speakers(however limiting they be).

I am interested in the oppo 105 as a streamer as it can be used for multichanel.

Maybe not even my upgraded(future) 5.1 system would do a 2k+ streamer justice.

The Oppo is a very well received piece of kit, which is flexible...anyway, it's all academic until you have the budget, and then there will be plenty of encouragement from here on how to spend it! :shifty:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts