admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading my HiFi, where I mainly take music off my computer. The first port of call is to invest in a DAC. There are two which have caught my eye:

Beresford TC-7510 DAC

Benchmark DAC1

Obviously there is a huge price difference here, and not really experimented with DACs before figured I'd see what your guys thoughts are? A lot of people seem to think the Beresford is as good a any other DAC.

The AMP it would end going into would most likely be a Rotel RA-06.

What do people think?

Thanks in advanced.

Rick

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
if you look down to the second and third page sof the forum you should find a couple of conversations about the beresford. it seems well regarded, for the money. i intend to give it a go myself. as for the benchmark then, if you're prepared to expand your budget for it, i'd try to get it on s trial basis first, so you can see if its worth the extra money. Incidentally, i THINK the guy who makes the beresford is quite good about trial periods, tho i cant find anything on his site about that. sorry i wasnt more helpful but i know there are people here with actual experience of the beresford so maybe someone else will be along later.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Bencmark should be a predictable winner here! Beresford is good but not that (Benchmark) good!

However if you are using computer and RA-06 the Beresford should do the job very well indeed.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]although I am starting to wonder if Stanley is employing rather interesting advertising techniques given the speed at which WHF forum posts end up on Google) ;) eh, eh. eh...[/quote]

He properbly don't have a min in the day left for himself!
I am surprise he hasn't join us yet! He is a very knowlegdeable poster (although got ban in one forum in the past!)...a real nice guy thoug, I have a lot of time for him
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

So do you think the Benchmark would be over kill for my needs?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Ok which one of you is Stanley?[/quote]

trust me if he is posting here we will know! He was trying to involve me in producing DAC mk 5 but I didn't want to!

I mean he is doing it for living, it is his only job and if I gave him the wrong advise! so I thought I better not!

A

Anonymous

Up to what kind of level of CD player would the Beresford have benefits? Would it improve, say, a Cambridge 540C? (Obviously I'm just thinking aloud here as I've promised "someone" that I'll never buy any more gear ever again.) And if it did, what might those improvements be?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Tractorboy, It is a good DAC for the price but NOT a miracle one. For the price you pay I don't think anyone can complain! 4 digital inputs, 2 RCA outputs and can be use as a headphone amp!

Sound is as good as many budget to midrange cd player (depending on Transports though)

A

Anonymous

Phew, looks like I won't be sent to Coventry this weekend after all. Ta, Thaiman.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]
I would put the sound on a par with a £300-£400 player.

[/quote]

I went to a friend house last month and A/B the Beresford Dac (SB 3 as a transport + lossless files) against Rega saturn and I was very shocked!

The rega won it on Realism of instruments sounded and the imaging also better but that was a lot closer than I predicted. The amp we used was Leema Tucana and speakers was the awesome Neat MF5.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Although I am looking forward to a trial of a brand new version of the Harmony DAC I tried earlier, in the next week or 2. The guy at our local shop reckons it is quite a significant improvement on the existing one (which was lovely on the Arcam, but made less difference on the Lyngdorf), and (obviously subjectively), reckoned in a head to head with the Benchmark DAC , was a clear winner... all at around £500.[/quote]

Hi Frog

Do you ahve any information on these? Or where they are stocked? I can't find much information searching on Google?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="ricjd"]
[quote user="fr0g"]Although I am looking forward to a trial of a brand new version of the Harmony DAC I tried earlier, in the next week or 2. The guy at our local shop reckons it is quite a significant improvement on the existing one (which was lovely on the Arcam, but made less difference on the Lyngdorf), and (obviously subjectively), reckoned in a head to head with the Benchmark DAC , was a clear winner... all at around £500.[/quote]

Hi Frog

Do you ahve any information on these? Or where they are stocked? I can't find much information searching on Google?

[/quote]
Yup. It's Swedish...
Harmony Design

There is an english section, but its a bit pants.[/quote]

yeah i've looked at that, and quite like the look of it, but wouldn't mind some more info, you said you had a local dealer who has Harmony, did you find this out by chance? I wouldn't mind going to find out more about them if i could find someone who did them near me... :(

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="ricjd"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="ricjd"]

Hi Frog

[/quote]
Yup. It's Swedish...
Harmony Design

There is an english section, but its a bit pants.[/quote]

yeah i've looked at that, and quite like the look of it, but wouldn't mind some more info, you said you had a local dealer who has Harmony, did you find this out by chance? I wouldn't mind going to find out more about them if i could find someone who did them near me... :(
[/quote]

lol yep - here in Sweden where I live :)P

Might be worth emailing them - info@harmonydesign.se

They will almost certainly be able to converse with you in English, as everyone here under 60 can speak it.

[/quote]

Oh so not far from south london at all!! :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts