what cd should i buy

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ihave just purchased a Pioneer PDP507XD plasma tv,a naim nait amp and Focal714v speakers.I have already got a Pioneer dv444 dvd, should i invest in a proper cd player or would the pioneer be good enough.The hi fi shop said that a Arcam cd73 would be good or the Naim cd5i.Any suggestions please?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Lenny

If you've invested in a Naim Nait and Focal speakers, then yes, you should definitely get a dedicated CD player - the Pioneer DVD is fine for movies, but won't do justice to the Naim/Focal kit with music.

The Naim CD5i is a very good player (we gave it 4 stars), and would work well with the Naim amp. It has a rich, refined sound with a smooth (but not bland) treble and decent midrange. But a couple of rivals just edge it for detail retrieval.

Alternatives? I'd steer you towards the Cyrus CD6s (£650), Cyrus Roksan Kandy MkIII (£650) or the Arcam CD192 (£900).
All are reviewed in the Ultimate Guide to Hi-Fi, on sale now.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy for the advice,would the arcam 73 be good enough or should i go for your other suggestions

A

Anonymous

I've just been through a similar dilema, I borrowed the Arcam FMJ 32(£1400) and the Arcam ..192 (£900) dedicated cd players to use for cd instead of playing cd's through my dvd player (yamaha 2500). I don't know how they compare with the Arcam dvd player you have been looking at but I ended up with the Naim CD5x, I managed to haggle a discount and for me there is no comparison at all, I think the CD5x is fantastic, I'm pleased I pushed the boat out, there's no piont in upgrading and then having to do it all again in a year or two.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Lenny, I don't think arcam and Naim have the synergy between them, of course they will sound good together but wouldn't be as exciting as the Naims combo.

A

Anonymous

thanks everyone for the advice,waiting for a second hand or ex demo cd5i to turn up.the wife is playing hell,so could not afford the cd5x after paying £3700 so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts