what cable to connect subwoofer to two monitors

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely go with balanced XLR connection where possible. Van Damme cable with metal Neutrik connectors. This designacable shop comes recommended by one of our forum members. Good service.

What is your source? Which DAC, audio interface, receiver?

Vladimir said:
Definitely go with balanced XLR connection where possible. Van Damme cable with metal Neutrik connectors. This designacable shop comes recommended by one of our forum members. Good service.

What is your source? Which DAC, audio interface, receiver?

Hi, just a computer DAC (meridian explorer2), and sometimes when people come along a bluetooth reciever conected to the rca.

Is there a problem if I connect the rca /unbalanced) to the sub and out of the sub 2 xlr one to each monitor?

I am sorry I am very new to this balanced unbalanced suff.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK. Your Presonus 2.1 system is designed to be set up using balanced cables, so you should use them if you can.

The problem is that your usb dac is unbalanced out. The best solution (in your setup) is to replace it with a pro type interface that has balanced outputs, something like the Scarlett 2i2 - 2. Most such interfaces have more facilities than you need but this model keeps it simple. You can even use the line inputs for you bluetooth reciever, just get a phono/jack converter.

Output from this is balanced on TRS jack, so I would use TRS cables throughout, keep it simple. In this sort of setup there is no real advantage using XLR connectors though you can if you wish.

Use Van Damme cables, if you are in the uk, Designacable are excellent.

Alternatives to this would be to use a hi-fi dac with balanced outs, probably quite expensive or to run the system unbalanced with what you have, phono cables (van Damme again) to your sub then TRS or XLR cables to you E44.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
+1 for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

I have the cheaper Lexicon Alpha, you can go for other cheapy like the Behringer UMC202HD, but you get what you paid for with budget pro equipment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Delivering a proper balanced output is the most important factor, any of the units mentioned will do that.

Just work out if any of the additional functionality is any use, the line inputs for the bluetooth reciever for example and choose accordingly.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Carlos Ortiz De Zevallos Eguiluz said:
Thank you very much, I was looking for options and Direct Boxes are a little cheaper here, would thatwork?

Thank yo

u

Sorry not sure what you are talking about.

Can you link to what you are considering?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
or maybe something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBoxPro

Audio interfaces are a little expensive here in Peru

Should work fine, in practicle terms anyway.

Output from your dac, converted to XLR balanced out to drive an active speaker system.

I have used similar devices many times in the studio or onstage but can not offer any insight into sound quality in a hi-fi context. It adds additional circuitry, maybe a transformer, the effects of this on a hi-fi signal is not known.

If you are not going to replace the dac, I would just go unbalanced, your dac has unbalanced outs, why complicate the issue?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just use the 3.5mm Meridian output with a Y cable. It will sound great. You can turn up the Input Gain on the back of the monitors if you find the output of the Meridian lacking a bit.

Very few advantages of going full balanced in a home environment, if any at all.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

Output from your dac, converted to XLR balanced out to drive an active speaker system.

I have used similar devices many times in the studio or onstage but can not offer any insight into sound quality in a hi-fi context. It adds additional circuitry, maybe a transformer, the effects of this on a hi-fi signal is not known.

If you are not going to replace the dac, I would just go unbalanced, your dac has unbalanced outs, why complicate the issue?

Plus one

davedotco said:

I am experiencing some noise, especially when the DAC is not in use and I connect them directly to my smartphone and a lot more when I connect them to the Bluetooth receiver (which might be related that it makes them sound louder at the same volume level in comparison with the DAC or directly connecting the smartphone).
It is a high hiss when no signal is going in and something like static or "chhh" when music is sounding, again this is lowest when the DAC is the source and the highest when the Bluetooth receiver is the source (as if it were amplifying the noise).
If the unbalanced signal is not the cause of the noise I might consider buying an adapter to use the DAC with my smartphone and maybe just forget about the bluetooth receiver and delegate it to parties or stuff like that...

Thank you a lot for your help

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that there was a practical or technical reason why you wanted to use XLRs, was I wrong?

Under normal circumstances there is no real advantage to running balanced, particularly as your primary source, the Meridian dac, is unbalanced.

However, it apears that you might have a noise problem, I would get to the bottom of that first. Suggest that you start with the Dac feeding just the E44s, use phono leads and check for noise. Then using TRS or XLR, add the sub, checking for noise as you do so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts